2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
175 Posts
Here are some leaked specs and pictures of the new CX5 that seems to follow the design from the CX30/Mazda3. What is interesting is that the 2.5l output increased to 196hp. There are no details on what changed or if the torque also improved.

Interesting -- a very light restyle, as I suspected, but these new visual cues in the grill or headline will likely align with where Mazda is taking their next gen CX-50, 6 and other models. I suspect this CX-5 will coexist with the more premium, RWD based CX-50, much like the CX-30 and CX-3 coexisted for two model years, partly to give buyers a lower cost option, but also for Mazda to hedge their bets if the premium positioning on the CX-50 doesn't work out. I wonder if the 2022 3 will also have a similar revision to its headlight and grill treatment?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here are some leaked specs and pictures of the new CX5 that seems to follow the design from the CX30/Mazda3. What is interesting is that the 2.5l output increased to 196hp. There are no details on what changed or if the torque also improved.

I'm kinda hoping that Mazda upgrades the 6 speed to an 8 speed. They have a technical alliance with Toyota which has an 8 speed in the Camry/RAV4.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The 2022 CX5 refresh was announced today and there was no change to the engines. What is interesting is that Mazda announced they will be including AWD for all CX models starting with the 2022 model year. I hope they will continue with FWD for the Mazda3.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
175 Posts
The 2022 CX5 refresh was announced today and there was no change to the engines. What is interesting is that Mazda announced they will be including AWD for all CX models starting with the 2022 model year. I hope they will continue with FWD for the Mazda3.
I suspect they will keep FWD for the 3, from a pure price point perspective. The AWD move is likely a precursor to moving the SUV lineup (CX-50/70/90) to RWD, which will worry people in snow and rain heavy areas. Making the RWD-based crossovers have standard AWD will negate the concerns around traction issues.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium polymetal gray over red/blk
504 Posts
No power increase. Increased weight. Increased cost. Decreased fuel economy . Increased complexity. Decreased customer spectrum. The new lower front grill looks like an ugly fish.
Them Mazda boys are on the ball.
The new Kia Sportage is looking better all the time.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
175 Posts
No power increase. Increased weight. Increased cost. Decreased fuel economy . Increased complexity. Decreased customer spectrum. The new lower front grill looks like an ugly fish.
Them Mazda boys are on the ball.
The new Kia Sportage is looking better all the time.
AWD has been successful for Subaru if you track their market share over the last two decades, but I do agree, the move is a bit puzzling in SoCal / Arizona and Florida...markets where it doesn't snow a lick and where the benefit of AWD is diminished. You see less Subarus in those markets than in snowy areas, where Subies are abundant.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium polymetal gray over red/blk
504 Posts
I suppose. Subaru and Mazda are both niche players. Trouble is Subaru is already dominate in the standard awd niche and Mazda will come off as a Johnny come lately copy cat.
Sure, it's possible but it is hard for me to see this helping sales, profits, or prestige. I think the Zoom Zoom Niche could have been exploited to broader appeal with the new found commitment to better NVH. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I think we are talking about a 2 mpg difference between front wheel drive and all wheel drive. Any states above north carolina on the east coast will benefit from this. Further down south there will be little to no benefit. I bet at least 60-70 percent of the CX models are sold as AWD. If its more it reduces the complexity of assembling the vehicle and reducing variations. Less variations on an assembly line equal reduced costs. Also, there is probably a bit more profit with AWD as well. Hopefully with the new platform coming people can get rear wheel drive models. Im from PA and prefer rear wheel drive and have a summer/winter combo on my rear wheel drive car.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
175 Posts
I'd think the 3 will get a refresh -- it's gotten a refresh 3 years into its 5 year cycle for multiple generations now

·
Registered
85 Posts
Any states above north carolina on the east coast will benefit from this. Further down south there will be little to no benefit. Im from PA and prefer rear wheel drive and have a summer/winter combo on my rear wheel drive car.
I moved from PA to the south and honestly, you need AWD here more than you think. There are so many roads that are not paved. They are gravel or hard sand. And if you go into the mountains, which everyone does, the AWD is absolutely essential as you are going up 20-25% grades on gravel and sand roads.

I would also argue that they are clearly targeting the CX-5 to a new group. Young hip outdoors people. Again, young people. They are moving it "down" to make space for something else for the "older" people.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I moved from PA to the south and honestly, you need AWD here more than you think. There are so many roads that are not paved. They are gravel or hard sand. And if you go into the mountains, which everyone does, the AWD is absolutely essential as you are going up 20-25% grades on gravel and sand roads.

I would also argue that they are clearly targeting the CX-5 to a new group. Young hip outdoors people. Again, young people. They are moving it "down" to make space for something else for the "older" people.
100%. Also, I think AWD makes the car feel more planted and handle better. Maybe it's part of the move toward this gas engine with plug-in hybrid powertrain and then full EV that's in the pipeline?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
2 Posts
As the proud owner of a 2016 Mazda 3 and someone looking to get a new car in 2023, I'd love Mazda to make the following changes to the current 3
  • Bring back the multilink rear suspension, or do something to improve it. Shockingly even Consumer Reports noted the 4th Gen 3 isn't as fun to drive
  • Increase the hatches rear visibility
  • Please update the infotainment system
  • and, if possible, add an inch to the rear seat legroom and rear seat height

101 - 117 of 117 Posts