2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
MY22 3 sedan and hatchback production start for US announced as 30 Nov 21
That is much later than usual. It looks like the chip shortage has pushed it out. I wonder if there are any changes to the trims or if it is basically a carryover from last year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I get frustrated by the weird things offered / not offered in various markets. We have heated steering wheel here in Australia (why?) but we do not get either an AWD or Turbo model. We do get heated seats but where I live is more akin to Florida weather so cooled seats would be MUCH more useful.

I'd really like to see a wider range of paint and interior colour options.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium polymetal gray over red/blk
504 Posts
I get frustrated by the weird things offered / not offered in various markets. We have heated steering wheel here in Australia (why?) but we do not get either an AWD or Turbo model. We do get heated seats but where I live is more akin to Florida weather so cooled seats would be MUCH more useful.

I'd really like to see a wider range of paint and interior colour options.
Yes my personal pet peeve is the lack of rear seat air vents in the U..S., but that is not so serious as you guys (blokes?) getting left out on the turbo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some European manufacturers offer an enormous range of options on a build to order basis. Here in the UK Mazda import a fixed model range for each car and that's it apart from colour and one or two with a leather option. Their sales here are quite small so I assume they cannot afford to import a wider variety. The current 3 HB has about 16 versions but that includes the MT or AT option on most of them so its really only 9. With the saloon its even fewer (7 and 4).

·
Registered
232 Posts
We may be getting two new paint colours for 2022. Ingot Blue Metallic and Zircon Sand Metallic. Not sure if both will come to the US/Canada.

The Zircon Sand Metallic has already been confirmed for the CX-5 later this year in Japan.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Folks downunder getting Platinum Quartz Metallic option on the 22 3, with overall price rises of $200-400 AUD across the range.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
175 Posts
A larger grill on the CX5?? Its already been massive.

Frankly the trend of huge grills is starting to go too far.
Sometimes yeah...but the grill on the new 3 was bigger than last generation, and I think everyone would agree it looks better than the last car (at least up front, some may disagree with the rear half). I'll reserve judgement until I see the refreshed CX-5.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A larger grill on the CX5?? Its already been massive.

Frankly the trend of huge grills is starting to go too far.
I think the manufacturers believe the huge grills make vehicles look more aggressive.
IMO, good grill design peaked in the early 60s with clean minimal openings in Jags, Loti and Ferraris, though admittedly they usually did not have to allow for AC condensers or turbo intercoolers. Openings were just big enough to get the cooling job done, but sometimes not. The grill is where design starts and if it is wide and high it limits what can be done with rounded fenders and sloping hoods
The huge grill on my 3 is maybe 50% functional at most with the shutters open, more like 25% when they are closed.

Hopefully EV adoption will stop this ugly trend as car builders move to associate their remaining ICE cars with high demand EVs
At least Mazda has not adopted the big phony brake scoops so beloved by German , Korean and other Japanese makes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sometimes yeah...but the grill on the new 3 was bigger than last generation, and I think everyone would agree it looks better than the last car (at least up front, some may disagree with the rear half). I'll reserve judgement until I see the refreshed CX-5.
Yah Mazda has a good track record, and despite being oversized the grill on the Mazda 3 looks good. Like others said, the lack of fake air vents helps the look (see last gen civic for too much fake crap)

If you want the most egregious example of the current trend of huge grills being stupid, look at the new BMW 4 series. Like I have no idea what in the heck is going on in BMWs styling department.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
339 Posts
Couldn't agree more about the big phony brake scoops - the reason I took a pass on a Kia Stinger !!!
Between the fake brake scoops and fake hood scoops, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Stinger either. Otherwise, I'd be there now. (I was hoping that the fake hood scoops would go away with the recent refreshening, but they kept them. I could have lived with the fake brake scoops.)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Between the fake brake scoops and fake hood scoops, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Stinger either. Otherwise, I'd be there now. (I was hoping that the fake hood scoops would go away with the recent refreshening, but they kept them. I could have lived with the fake brake scoops.)
To be fair, I think the brake scoops on the Stinger are real. Hood scoop definitely fake.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just want as blue as good as the red !

Speaking of oversized stupid looking grilles... BMW ! What the heck happened there ?! LOL
I'm just waiting till they release what colors the 22 turbo will have. That is the only reason I didn't get a 21 as i wasn't a huge fan of the color options

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm just waiting till they release what colors the 22 turbo will have. That is the only reason I didn't get a 21 as i wasn't a huge fan of the color options
It seems they wait to introduce new interior and exterior colors only with a whole new generation. I would think new colors would be a cheap easy way to generate new interest in a model that's been out a while. Don't understand the reluctance. Brilliant colors of the past, Blue reflex mica, (first gen CX5) Lava orange mica, ( first gen 3)

81 - 100 of 117 Posts