2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically in the 4th year Mazda brings out a midcycle refresh. Thoughts on what they might add back. Hopes? Here is my thoughts.

1. Heated Steering wheel
2. More sound deadening
3. Rear seat air vents
4. Wider 18" tires
5. AWD system is more RWD bias
6. Bigger infotainment screen
7. Cooled seats

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
326 Posts
Typically in the 4th year Mazda brings out a midcycle refresh. Thoughts on what they might add back. Hopes? Here is my thoughts.

1. Heated Steering wheel
2. More sound deadening
3. Rear seat air vents
4. Wider 18" tires
7. Cooled seats
I would be shocked if they would change the AWD bias. That would cost them a fortune to do for just a midcycle refresh.

I'm really hoping for power folding side mirrors for the US market. I fold mine quite often, and it irks me much of the world has this available on their M3s, but the US does not. I'm also wondering if they will come out with a "Signature Trim" like they have on some of their other vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 AWD AT
186 Posts
I don't believe they changed the bias with the turbo but beefed up a bit the rear differential since the engine produces more torque (probably more than double at lower revs) it will also send more to the rear.
In snow is easy to make the rear move even with the aspirated one; here's my try.

What I would like them to add is heated mirrors on all Mazda3 similar to what they did on 2021 turbo model.

1. Heated Steering wheel
I believe they already put this on the turbo model for MY2021; tech already there so they might add it.
2. More sound deadening
Yeah, typically Mazda improves a bit NVH with every refresh but still Mazda3 was good from the start.
3. Rear seat air vents
Already exist for Australian market however if competition in US doesn't has it (Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla), slim chances to see it here; unless they continue with the "Mazda premium".
4. Wider 18" tires
It might have impact on EPA and not sure they are going to offer them.
I don't think it's going to happen; they are going to promote the RWD bias on the new Mazda6 layout with longitudinal engine and RWD by default with optional AWD.
Very possible since they already have the tech on other models (I believe the new CX-5 has the larger screen).
7. Cooled seats
Very possible since they already have the tech on other models.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My hope is they completely ditch cylinder deactivation in the AWD sedan models. The 3 hatchbacks and CX-30 don't have it anymore at all. Garbage technology.

I have a feeling they are going to kill off the Mazda 3 for the next generation as the sales aren't quite there anymore. Even with the Murican car companies leaving the market its really held by Honda, Toyota, Subaru and the Koreans. The Mazda 3 is only 10.7% of the Mazda sales in Murica but 20% in Canada. As you can see the CX-3 sold only 967 cars and Mazda 6 was 2335 which is why they got axed. I think if the Mazda 3 falls below the 3000 a month threshold its gone. Sadly sedans just arent selling anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heated steering wheel already exists on the European models. Yes, the CX-5 has the larger infotainment screen (imagine the M3 screen without the big bezzels) and the software seems to be the latest, however the control buttons are from the prior generation.
I don't mind the relatively thin tires in terms of grip (215/45/18 on my M3 Sedan), and they seem to have a positive effect on fuel economy. Wider tires would just increase fuel consumption and noise inside the cabin. That being said, the tires can be quite expensive because the dimensions are not that common (atleast where I come from).

Have a nice day, cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 AWD AT
186 Posts
Heated steering wheel already exists on US models as well but only for the 2.5l turbo engine.
Wider tires might make some sense on the 2.5l turbo versions as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
Mazda already did this with the turbo version in Sport mode... you can power slide the rear out easy
There no real "bias" for FWD vs RWD vs AWD. The current I-ACTIV system is mostly 100% FWD for normal dry road conditions, with some power sent to the rear once you get up around 60 mph. The system has the capability to predict where the power will be needed and send it to whichever corner necessary to prevent wheel spin. You could rewrite the software to change the parameters but since Mazda already has the system optimized I don't see the point unless you think you can second guess all those Mazda engineers .....
Getting the rear of the car loose in a corner is more of a suspension thing anyway. More cumulative spring rate in the rear, less in the front, changing the front/rear rate bias, will get the rear to step out even on a FWD car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There no real "bias" for FWD vs RWD vs AWD. The current I-ACTIV system is mostly 100% FWD for normal dry road conditions, with some power sent to the rear once you get up around 60 mph. The system has the capability to predict where the power will be needed and send it to whichever corner necessary to prevent wheel spin. You could rewrite the software to change the parameters but since Mazda already has the system optimized I don't see the point unless you think you can second guess all those Mazda engineers .....
Getting the rear of the car loose in a corner is more of a suspension thing anyway. More cumulative spring rate in the rear, less in the front, changing the front/rear rate bias, will get the rear to step out even on a FWD car.
Lol second guessing? It's called facts!

Dave Coleman has even mentioned it in a couple videos as well the Mazda 3 Turbo sends more power to the rear when in sport mode as it is running a different and new 2nd G Vectoring algorithm well in sport mode.. so you can power out of the corner with a lot of rear power push on the Turbo 3 only.. it's not hard to powerslide the turbo! Some reviewers have also commented on this as well.. it's very clear at the track as well this car pushes hard from the rear out of a corner!

Also part of the reason the new rear end in the turbo can handle three times as much torque in rear vs the normal AWD 3.

Lol 🤣 Sliding out the rear on a front-wheel drive car versus an all wheel drive car putting torque to the rear and doing a power slide is a big difference! No comparison..

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
The engineers at Mazda designed the system the way they did for a reason. I doubt you could improve on any part of it without losing something somewhere else in exchange.....
Its pushing like that out of a corner for a reason. Less energy is lost through the drive line using RWD than FWD in that situation, and the car is easier to control when the front wheels are sliding vs the rear, so the car sends more power to the rear. This doesn't mean you can change the F/R bias algorithms and expect it to be better....

·
Registered
311 Posts
The engineers at Mazda designed the system the way they did for a reason. I doubt you could improve on any part of it without losing something somewhere else in exchange.....
Its pushing like that out of a corner for a reason. Less energy is lost through the drive line using RWD than FWD in that situation, and the car is easier to control when the front wheels are sliding vs the rear, so the car sends more power to the rear. This doesn't mean you can change the F/R bias algorithms and expect it to be better....

Lol really this comment has little to do with what I said!
You're putting words into my mouth I never said I changed anything in the car..I was stating facts from Mazda and what Mazda engineers said has changed or added turbo 3.

Do you just argue for the sake of arguing? the data is out in the wild..

BTW The Turbo is great for tuning as well :)

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
And your comments have nothing to do with the topic of this thread, ie possible changes for 2022, not what you can do with your car. What has already been done to existing production vehicles is irrelevant.......My response that changes to the F/R bias would be unproductive is relevant.

·
Registered
311 Posts
And your comments have nothing to do with the topic of this thread, ie possible changes for 2022, not what you can do with your car. What has already been done to existing production vehicles is irrelevant.......My response that changes to the F/R bias would be unproductive is relevant.
lol.. I was replying to someone that said They wish the all-wheel-drive "sent" more power to the rear in the 2022. I replying stating the fact it does already sends more power to the rear in the 2021 Turbo is not off topic. You also carried on the topic with me as well!

Your putting words in my mouth again! :confused: I never said the Mazda 3 was a FWD bias car or a RWD bias car... All I said is they are putting a lot more power to the rear wheels a lot more often on the turbo because they had changed the AWD and G vectoring system adding a 2nd algorithm.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 AWD AT
186 Posts
They had to beef it up and send more power to the rear as the turbo engine has more power/torque available to send to the rear; if they would have sent to the rear the same power as the normally aspirated one does, it would have probably have felt even more FWD; in the end it still feels like a FWD based car most of the time and not that much different from the AWD normally aspirated one.
On the new architecture for Mazda6 they will be able to do a 40/60 fwd/rwd torque split by default and that will feel more RWD bias; Mazda3 even in turbo variant is by default 100-0 fwd/rwd until wheel slip is detected or algorithm reading data from all those sensors believe slip is likely to happen (wipers on, low temperature, etc) and send more power to the rear to prevent slip.

One other thing I wish they would add on Mazda3 turbo is larger disc brakes front & rear (they didn't changed them at all!) and maybe add ventilated discs in the rear.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They had to beef it up and send more power to the rear as the turbo engine has more power/torque available to send to the rear; if they would have sent to the rear the same power as the normally aspirated one does, it would have probably have felt even more FWD; in the end it still feels like a FWD based car most of the time and not that much different from the AWD normally aspirated one.
On the new architecture for Mazda6 they will be able to do a 40/60 fwd/rwd torque split by default and that will feel more RWD bias; Mazda3 even in turbo variant is by default 100-0 fwd/rwd until wheel slip is detected or algorithm reading data from all those sensors believe slip is likely to happen (wipers on, low temperature, etc) and send more power to the rear to prevent slip.

One other thing I wish they would add on Mazda3 turbo is larger disc brakes front & rear (they didn't changed them at all!) and maybe add ventilated discs in the rear.
Yes they did beef it up to being able to carry 3x more torque to the rear but they did more... This being a Electronic AWD system with a 1.1% rear overdrive gives Mazda huge control and they have taken advantage of it with new software .. Dave Colman has stated in interviews "The new sport Algorithm in the turbo 3 uses different data inputs and is a pre-emptive system based on tire weight, yaw, roll and not a slip then grab system.. This makes the car feel like a neutral AWD system".
The 3 turbo is sending more of power to the rear and a lot more of the time then the non turbos when in Sport...This does really shows when pushing the car hard on a fun highway or at the track and bad weather.... you can power rotate the car coming out of a corner with the rear torque. impressive for a transverse AWD system... but I do agree when in normal mode the turbo acts just like the normal 3 AWD but with more power...

With the Mazda 3 being a transverse system and nothing that competes with the 3 has a longitudinal AWD setup. But Ahh ya if they had a Longitudinal system in the 3.....lol Nothing is perfect.... but we can only hope in the next redesigned lol.

Mazda has done some great work building a very neutral AWD system on the turbo 3.. I don't think many have really pushed the car and had time with it... I use my Mazda 3 turbo just as much as my G70 for fun or daily driver.. Looking forward to seeing what comes to the refresh. Mazda has some really good things coming down the road.

I don't think we are going to see much in this mid refresh for the 3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Skyactiv X engine being offered is my guess. Hopefully they can offer a 2.5 Skyactiv X, but maybe a mild hybrid 2.0 skyactiv X will be released for base models.

Imo the biggest downside to the 3 is worse fuel economy than competitors.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My wishes are simple...a base RWD model w/ Sky turbo w/o nannies, no iStop, no iEloop, & none of all the iStuff.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 AWD AT
186 Posts
What you described there is basically the BMW 1-Series between 2004-2019 which was one of the few RWD compact cars (same class as Mazda3): RWD, 4 or inlline-6 cylinders, turbo or normally aspirated, manual; go grab one on used market that might still have some sort of extended warranty.
They moved to FWD architecture from 2019 because of the.... "success" they had with that RWD layout in recent years :(

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
124 Posts
We can expect a refresh, but no chance it will go RWD or that they'll change the AWD much. The third Gen M3 had a fairly significant mid-cycle update that included interior changes (all new center console with e-parking brake), new front seats, different color combinations inside/out, revised front/rear bumpers, G-Vectoring Control, slightly improved noise isolation, and rear suspension changes to reduce noise and ride shock.

I'd suspect the Gen 4 M3 will get a similar update:
-New front and rear bumpers that will mirror the next evolution of Kodo design coming with the CX-50 and next Mazda6 (praying the 6 happens)
-Enhanced suspension tune (this was already done on 2021 Mazda 3's in Japan - see below - so I'd bet it comes here too)
-Enhanced steering feel (I think this is an area where the third Gen is better than Gen 4)
-Rejigged option packages
-8 speed auto (unlikely, but would be nice and would improve both acceleration and highway fuel economy)
-Bigger infotainment screen (doesn't need much, but an extra inch never hurts right?)
-Maybe a "Signature" trim with some features not available in lower trims -- could replace the Turbo Premium Plus, which is a bit of a mouthful

Other markets in 2021 had SkyActiv X enhancements, but I'd be surprised if we saw that engine in NA because it can't really compete with the Turbo engine and gas is too cheap in the US.

Japan enhancements in 2021:
1) Software enhancements to the engine and transmission control logic for the SkyActiv X to produce better power & acceleration: "The maximum output has been improved from 132kW (180ps) to 140kW (190ps) * 6 , and the maximum torque has been improved from 224Nm to 240Nm."
2) Suspension retune: "By improving the characteristics of coil springs and dampers across all models, the entire suspension can be moved more smoothly, suppressing vibration transmitted from the road surface to the inside of the vehicle, improving dynamics performance and riding comfort."

link: 「MAZDA3」を商品改良

1 - 20 of 44 Posts