2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had my 2nd rear diff Die. Less then a year old after being replaced.. This one went out with a bang and almost cost me to loss control of the car.. As I was on the freeway doing 120kmph on cruse, it locked up my back wheels for about 3sec.. dangerous.

No warning just 2 loud bangs, locked up for 3 or 4 sec, grinding, then nothing.. a FWD car after that. also underneath looks like the differential casting is cracked open as well.

I do drive the car within all of its range, but nothing abusive.. 49,000km on the odometer, last diff was replaced around 25,000km I believe. Car is 95% highway driving and on curse most of that time. The reason for the higher milage.

Hopefully Mazda will have a tba soon or a recall. Mazda is replacing it under warranty.. Thankfully I have a 2nd vehicle I can use till I get it back.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just had my 2nd rear diff Die. Less then a year old after being replaced.. LOL This one went out with a bang and almost cost me to loss control of the car.. As I was on the freeway doing 120kmph on cruse and it locked up my back wheels for about 3sec.. A transport that was tailing me almost hit me and lost control as well.. dangerous. looks like the casting is cracked open as well on the diff.

No warning just 2 loud bangs, then locked up for 3 or 4 sec, then grinding, then nothing.. a FWD car after that... After I checked it out I drove slowly to the dealer since I was not far. Just waiting to hear back now from Mazda Canada on warranty replacement.

I do drive the car within all of its rang but nothing abusive as I really take care of her. 49,000km on it now... last diff was replaced around 25,000km I believe. Car see's the hwy 95% of the time and on curse most of that time. Also the car is 100% stock. tires rotated every oil change so very equal tire wear.

Hope they will have a tba soon or a recall soon.
Aren't you running the JB4?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Aren't you running the JB4?
LOL Nope not on the one that has had differential issues.. I installed a JB4 on my girl friends Mazda 3 turbo that I drive as well sometimes.. I have a G70 track car that I mod and spend $$$ on. So no JB4 for my 3 turbo as it is my daily to work and back as its a 50km drive each way and the 100th anniversary edition so I wanted to keep it stock.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
LOL Nope not on the one that has had differential issues.. I installed a JB4 on my girl friends Mazda 3 turbo that I drive as well sometimes.. I have a G70 track car that I mod and spend $$$ on. So no JB4 for my 3 turbo as it is my daily to work and back as its a 50km drive each way and the 100th anniversary edition so I wanted to keep it stock.
I thought you mentioned in the other diff thread having the JB4 re-installed after getting the car back. Must have misread.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dayum. If it truly is a daily I would've picked a hybrid and cruise on electricity.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dayum. If it truly is a daily I would've picked a hybrid and cruise on electricity.
Not for me. I don't like Hybrids.. The Mazda 3 Turbo is a great daily with some performance to boost is why I bought it. :) Its a very quite car to be in and cruise home after a long work day and have some fun from time to time. Also Mazda is generally very reliable.
I almost never drive in the city as I have a EUC for that, I curse around on with almost 100km of range, unless its bad weather.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would love for Mazda to drop the N/A Skyactiv-G engines and replace them with a 180-200 horsepower hybrid. Ideally, for me, it would be a series hybrid, driven by an electric motor, with charge produced by the engine (which can thusly be much smaller and more efficient). My Volt had a similar setup, and Honda uses this techology in the Accord Hybrid, if I'm not mistaken.

However, if Mazda were to make the 3 a hybrid, they would absolutely need to keep the Turbo for the enthusiasts :)

Sorry to derail the thread.

Reactions: perseus

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I would love for Mazda to drop the N/A Skyactiv-G engines and replace them with a 180-200 horsepower hybrid. Ideally, for me, it would be a series hybrid, driven by an electric motor, with charge produced by the engine (which can thusly be much smaller and more efficient). My Volt had a similar setup, and Honda uses this techology in the Accord Hybrid, if I'm not mistaken.

However, if Mazda were to make the 3 a hybrid, they would absolutely need to keep the Turbo for the enthusiasts :)

Sorry to derail the thread.
100%. At this point, it's produce a gen5 300+ HP turbo hybrid with no oil, battery, and diff issues, or I'm out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
100%. At this point, it's produce a gen5 300+ HP turbo hybrid with no oil, battery, and diff issues, or I'm out.
Then you'll have to be out because that won't happen. Maybe 300hp in a future EV, but it won't be with the current 3 form factor.

My rear differential/driveline seems to be having vibration issues but no failures yet at 30k miles. The dealer is waiting on guidance from Mazda for repair/replace.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Then you'll have to be out because that won't happen. Maybe 300hp in a future EV, but it won't be with the current 3 form factor.

My rear differential/driveline seems to be having vibration issues but no failures yet at 30k miles. The dealer is waiting on guidance from Mazda for repair/replace.
I thought it was established the gen5 was going to be a hybrid EV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unfortunate to hear about this issue. I'm actually shopping for a 2022 2.5T now. Not sure if I should consider this a deal breaker or just something to watch out for during ownership...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunate to hear about this issue. I'm actually shopping for a 2022 2.5T now. Not sure if I should consider this a deal breaker or just something to watch out for during ownership...
Total failure seems to be very rare, but vibration issues are more prevalent on both 21 and 22 models (I have an ongoing thread on that). Since cars are still being delivered with this issue and so far they do not know how to fix my car, I advise against anyone buying a 2.5T currently. The NA FWD is safe for reliability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was driving an old Neon when the differential exploded through the bottom of the case. Collected the mangled gears and presented them to my engineering pal at Chrysler. That's when I learned about surface hardening - the gears were actually bent. Up until then I thought drivetrain gears were carbon alloy. Sadly, not so then, and apparently not now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
26,324 no issues, had a door ding and that has been repaired (wife surprised me with it, now I can’t find where the stuff was, I would show you all a picture except it would be machine gray paint. Either way I’ll not mention any questions concerning a hybrid as I thought they help greatly with city mileage but it seams extra complexity for a commuter destined mostly for the Hwy with little benefit.
Im curious though as I’m GUESSING (have not researched the topic) the rear diff is from the general Mazda parts bin maybe with a few mods or maybe not but if so, is this an issue with others Mazda products? I have much more faith in them to fix an issue with a reasonable amount of time vs some brands I’ve owned in the past that five-six years later the transmissions still sucked (4L60e). If it’s slightly different to make the fit into the 3’s platform so it’s a 3 or 3 platform only problem which would brings to mind the CX50 is it susceptible also. The added power from different tunes how does that factor in? As I’m still interested in that and how to keep the car mechanically together.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts