2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Do you guys know if anyone is working on a tune for the Mazda 3 Turbo? I assumed someone would've done that already since it is the same engine on the CX-5 Turbo, and also on the 6
But I could not find any info

·
Super Moderator
6,220 Posts
Nothing yet, and I have asked about it. Turns out the turbo ECU is quite complex, even more so than the regular Skyactiv motor, and it is proving quite difficult to tune. There isn't anything useable right now for any of the 2.5T powered cars now that I have heard of.

·
Registered
M3TH (Mazda 3 Turbo Hatchback 2021) Polymetal Grey PP
192 Posts
I am interested as well. Holding off with the SprintBooster for an available tuning hope it is soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing yet, and I have asked about it. Turns out the turbo ECU is quite complex, even more so than the regular Skyactiv motor, and it is proving quite difficult to tune. There isn't anything useable right now for any of the 2.5T powered cars now that I have heard of.
Thank you very much, I'll keep my eyes peeled for this

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone know the size of the stock turbo?
Is the turbocharger fused with the manifold as one piece?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cobb is looking into it but they are unsure if there is demand
Why would there be no demand? If they can crack the ECU they should be able to offer AccessPorts & tunes for all models with the 2.5T, not just the 3, but the CX-9, CX-5, CX-30 & 6

The truth is they probably just don't know if/when they can crack it

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB, 2016 Fiesta ST X57-R, 2007 RX-8 Sport
23 Posts
Why would there be no demand? If they can crack the ECU they should be able to offer AccessPorts & tunes for all models with the 2.5T, not just the 3, but the CX-9, CX-5, CX-30 & 6

The truth is they probably just don't know if/when they can crack it
There being demand and Cobb understanding there’s demand are different things. I asked this week on the FB if they were looking at it and the response was no.

So if you, like me, would prefer Cobb over BMS, join in pestering them on social media.

·
Super Moderator
6,220 Posts
Demand? Probably not. Twenty or thirty owners on a couple forums or FB groups does not constitute a large enough customer base to make it worth while. Its not worth sinking hundreds of hours and a ton of money into the development of a tune solution (or multiple solutions, and doing individual custom tunes) when your customer base can't provide the income to even cover costs let alone make a profit. Thats why OVT got away from tuning the MX-5. After all the work done to figure out the SA ECU in order to do the tuning, Mat only had maybe 300 tuned cars out there. The Toyota market on the other hand numbers in thousands, so thats what he does.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB, 2016 Fiesta ST X57-R, 2007 RX-8 Sport
23 Posts
Demand? Probably not. Twenty or thirty owners on a couple forums or FB groups does not constitute a large enough customer base to make it worth while. Its not worth sinking hundreds of hours and a ton of money into the development of a tune solution (or multiple solutions, and doing individual custom tunes) when your customer base can't provide the income to even cover costs let alone make a profit. Thats why OVT got away from tuning the MX-5. After all the work done to figure out the SA ECU in order to do the tuning, Mat only had maybe 300 tuned cars out there. The Toyota market on the other hand numbers in thousands, so thats what he does.
There wasn’t much demand when the only platform with the 2.5T was the CX-9 but now that all but 2 vehicles in the Mazda line up are available with this motor, there’s demand.

That doesn’t even consider the Lexus and Toyota products that are going to have Mazda built motors in the next few years.

I’m not sure I’d use OVT as an example, all I’ve heard about his is that he just wasn’t very good and that’s why he didn’t see business. Obviously there is demand or BMS wouldn’t be interested enough to buy a test vehicle.

·
Registered
835 Posts
There wasn’t much demand when the only platform with the 2.5T was the CX-9 but now that all but 2 vehicles in the Mazda line up are available with this motor, there’s demand.

That doesn’t even consider the Lexus and Toyota products that are going to have Mazda built motors in the next few years.

I’m not sure I’d use OVT as an example, all I’ve heard about his is that he just wasn’t very good and that’s why he didn’t see business. Obviously there is demand or BMS wouldn’t be interested enough to buy a test vehicle.
My sense is that OVT was / is good with Skyactiv Mazda's. At this point in time Rafael (of OVT) in the Pilippines is servicing the market very well by all accounts.

·
Super Moderator
6,220 Posts
You do realize that the number of cars made by Mazda is very small compared to other makers? Subaru made nearly 4x as many cars last year than Mazda. Toyota makes more cars in a month than Mazda makes in an entire year. They sell lots of cars and have huge fan bases. Mazda, not so much.....far fewer cars sold, far fewer buyers who would modify their cars. Ownership and model availability does not imply or indicate demand in any way. Most Mazdas sold in the US are SUVs and crossovers, driven by soccer moms and used as family transportation, not likely to be in the market for any sort of tuning. How many Mazda 3 Turbos are actually on the road? Mazda sells some 3,000 Mazda 3 cars a month, how many have the turbo engine? 10-15% maybe? There are probably more Subarus with Cobb stickers on them just in my town than there are Mazda3 Turbos in the whole US...
Tuning the Mazda 3T will not be the same as the other turbo cars as the ECU mapping is by all accounts somewhat different. A lot of time and effort will be required to make tuning across the board possible, and it may not be feasible from a business standpoint. This is the reality that the people at Cobb are looking at.

That will require even more development and time. The new upcoming I6 motors are based on SA-X technology. As if the SA-G ECU wasn't complex enough, the SA-X ECU mapping is another order of magnitude beyond that. Don't gets your hopes up.....

UHHH.....WHUT? I don't know where you got that from.......
Mat did very good work. OVT tunes were probably the best available, and for some time OVT was the only game in town. He didn't "see business" because there wasn't any to be had, and turned to more profitable ventures. The MX-5 ND is a very limited niche market, unlike Subarus and Toyotas where every kid in town seems to have one.
BMS is doing what most everyone else is doing - looking to expand into another market. From what I see they have zero Mazda SA experience as of now and offer nothing for Mazda tuning. They'll be starting from scratch on one of the most complex ECUs out there...... Many have tried to do the naturally aspirated SA tuning thing, most have failed. Nobody has been able to successfully produce a working turbo kit for the Mazda 3, not even places like CorkSport that have deep pockets and lots of experience. The 2.5 turbo engines have so far pretty much defied tuning attempts.

·
Super Moderator
6,220 Posts
It's in beta testing and there is more information in this thread
Actually, not much information in there at all....and what is there is not exactly confidence inspiring....This guy is trying to "tune" a turbo Mazda 3, and is using a Dragy box to chart results? Not a single dyno plot in three pages....and so far no real results to speak of...
As for the actual tuning, it looks more like its not a reflash but some sort of piggyback module that you wire into the system.😕

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, not much information in there at all....and what is there is not exactly confidence inspiring....This guy is trying to "tune" a turbo Mazda 3, and is using a Dragy box to chart results? Not a single dyno plot in three pages....and so far no real results to speak of...
As for the actual tuning, it looks more like its not a reflash but some sort of piggyback module that you wire into the system.😕
Seems you are misinformed.

If you want to go through the trouble of waiting for a flash to arrived then I can't stop ya.

"This guy" happens to be the owner of Burger Motorsports and the JB4 is a well respected device in the VW/Audi and BMW communities where remote flashing has become available but isn't any better than running a JB4 and definitely not better than running a JB4 with a back-end flash from any of the bench flashes available for the MQB platform (VW/Audi) or MHD (BMW).

He's using a Dray which is very accurate by the way to help him gauge the changes in the car's performance from stock while he waited for his Dynojet to be installed into his new building. One of the reasons Burger Motorsports has changed facilities is to stop using local dynos for product development.

Bench flashing in the Hyundai/Kia space has been debunked and even one of their more respected tuners have developed their own piggyback and others will like Banks Engineering because the writing is on the wall. It has become increasingly difficult to flash tune cars over the last one-two generations.

Russian hackers are likely to figure it out faster than domestic companies, they certainly did elsewhere. For the vast majority who are more concerned with warranties, retaining fuel economy and not damaging their leased vehicles, the piggyback is the way to go.

JB4 Frequently Asked Questions

Oh and I just got this in my email -

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seems you are misinformed.

If you want to go through the trouble of waiting for a flash to arrived then I can't stop ya.

"This guy" happens to be the owner of Burger Motorsports and the JB4 is a well respected device in the VW/Audi and BMW communities where remote flashing has become available but isn't any better than running a JB4 and definitely not better than running a JB4 with a back-end flash from any of the bench flashes available for the MQB platform (VW/Audi) or MHD (BMW).

He's using a Dray which is very accurate by the way to help him gauge the changes in the car's performance from stock while he waited for his Dynojet to be installed into his new building. One of the reasons Burger Motorsports has changed facilities is to stop using local dynos for product development.

Bench flashing in the Hyundai/Kia space has been debunked and even one of their more respected tuners have developed their own piggyback and others will like Banks Engineering because the writing is on the wall. It has become increasingly difficult to flash tune cars over the last one-two generations.

Russian hackers are likely to figure it out faster than domestic companies, they certainly did elsewhere. For the vast majority who are more concerned with warranties, retaining fuel economy and not damaging their leased vehicles, the piggyback is the way to go.

JB4 Frequently Asked Questions

Oh and I just got this in my email -

View attachment 281806
Yeah, so far the results look really promising. A 0.4 second drop in 0-60 is a good sign and hopefully they can improve on that even more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, so far the results look really promising. A 0.4 second drop in 0-60 is a good sign and hopefully they can improve on that even more.
Why is 0-60 so important when so many other factors enter into it? Somebody needs to explain this to me, it can't because I'm too old.

·
Super Moderator
6,220 Posts
So where are the numbers? The dyno plots that show his claimed improvements? That thread has nothing to show any real changes have been made....
0-60 times are not really a proper way of validating results unless they are a huge improvement and repeatable in a variety of conditions by more than one person. .4 seconds is not a whole lot in the real world. A .4 difference is on par with the testing of stock cars by various sources. That difference could be from several things - wheel spin, tires, driver, weather conditions, pavement conditions, etc. Show me the numbers......
Flashing a Mazda is not hard if you know how and have the software license to do so, and it seems that would be a lot easier and cheaper in the long run. The problem is most people don't realize just how complex the Skyactiv ECU really is and all the problems entailed in tuning it. The isn't a Hyundai or an Audi.....OVT has been working on the turbo motor for quite a while, and while some promising advances have been made there is still no real workable tune solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So where are the numbers? The dyno plots that show his claimed improvements? That thread has nothing to show any real changes have been made....
0-60 times are not really a proper way of validating results unless they are a huge improvement and repeatable in a variety of conditions by more than one person. .4 seconds is not a whole lot in the real world. A .4 difference is on par with the testing of stock cars by various sources. That difference could be from several things - wheel spin, tires, driver, weather conditions, pavement conditions, etc. Show me the numbers......
Flashing a Mazda is not hard if you know how and have the software license to do so, and it seems that would be a lot easier and cheaper in the long run. The problem is most people don't realize just how complex the Skyactiv ECU really is and all the problems entailed in tuning it. The isn't a Hyundai or an Audi.....OVT has been working on the turbo motor for quite a while, and while some promising advances have been made there is still no real workable tune solution.
What numbers did you want? The dyno just went up on Wednesday. I am sure he will post something very soon.

It ran the 1/4 mile at [email protected] mph on with the Dragy on 91 octane pump gas. If you look at published data from the usual sources that is some 4-5 tenths faster and 3-4 mph increase vs the stock car/tune. You don't need a dyno and all magazines use is a more complicated version of the VBox, the Dragy is just as accurate.

I will agree that 0-60 data isn't reliable which is why I asked why people so often ask about it? My Forte GT did 5.5 second 0-60 what exactly does that tell you?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts