2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm Christian from Perú and finally I have my 2017 Mazda 3 2.5 AT with all the hardware ready to tune it with OV. Before I had a 2015 2.0 with OV and everything OK! Perfect for autocross/trackdays

Now in my 2.5L have AEM intake, Corksport full cat-back, NGK Ruthenium spark plugs and other thins for handling (springs, sway bar, endlinks, etc)

My doubt is about the Sport Mode (the 2015 didn't have). To simplify, now I have two modes: Normal mode and Sport mode. I have to asking to Matt or Raphael two maps/tunes? One for Normal Mode and other for Sport Mode?

Thanks! And regards from Perú!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Doing this, "normal mode" improve too?
Yes. The sport and normal modes only changes how the transmission shifts. Not how the engine works. Sport mode just allows the engine to rev higher before the transmission shifts up a gear. The tune is going to change how the engine runs with the goal of producing more power. That's why arathol was talking about data logging.

It'll be up to you how you want it tuned, but you will get much better results on premium fuel. You'll want to run a couple tanks of premium before doing any tuning or data logging to ensure you're putting pure premium fuel in and not a mix - provided you're on regular right now.

Do be warned: if you decide to tune it for premium fuel, you cannot go back to regular.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. The sport and normal modes only changes how the transmission shifts. Not how the engine works. Sport mode just allows the engine to rev higher before the transmission shifts up a gear. The tune is going to change how the engine runs with the goal of producing more power. That's why arathol was talking about data logging.

It'll be up to you how you want it tuned, but you will get much better results on premium fuel. You'll want to run a couple tanks of premium before doing any tuning or data logging to ensure you're putting pure premium fuel in and not a mix - provided you're on regular right now.

Do be warned: if you decide to tune it for premium fuel, you cannot go back to regular.
Yeap, I understand. My old 2015 3 2.0 with OVT was with 98 octane (equivalent a 93 in USA), but anyway, the quality of gas here, in Perú, is HORRIBLE.

What other adjustment can do Matt or Raphael?

Lauch at 3500rpm (for autocross and trackday)
Rev limiter to 6700rpm
Speed limiter to 250 km/h (aprox 150 mph)

What about Throttle remap? Camshaft timing adjustment? About this two, I don't have much info.

Thanks to all.

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
Yeap, I understand. My old 2015 3 2.0 with OVT was with 98 octane (equivalent a 93 in USA), but anyway, the quality of gas here, in Perú, is HORRIBLE.

What other adjustment can do Matt or Raphael?

Lauch at 3500rpm (for autocross and trackday)
Rev limiter to 6700rpm
Speed limiter to 250 km/h (aprox 150 mph)

What about Throttle remap? Camshaft timing adjustment? About this two, I don't have much info.

Thanks to all.
The car already has a 4k free rev limiter. That is, if the car is out of gear, it will only rev to 4k rpm. Not sure if that can be changed, never asked. Not sure if you want to be dumping the clutch at 4k rpm though......
Rev limiter set higher? Yes, for the 2.5L 7k rpm is pushing it but it will give you a few more mph in 2nd gear. This could make a difference on whether you need to shift up or not, saving a bit of time around the course.
Speed limiter? Do you really plan on going 150 mph in this car?
Throttle remap- absolutely, makes a big difference.
Timing- changing the timing is part of the tune process.
Also, reset your idle speed to 750.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car already has a 4k free rev limiter. That is, if the car is out of gear, it will only rev to 4k rpm. Not sure if that can be changed, never asked. Not sure if you want to be dumping the clutch at 4k rpm though......
Rev limiter set higher? Yes, for the 2.5L 7k rpm is pushing it but it will give you a few more mph in 2nd gear. This could make a difference on whether you need to shift up or not, saving a bit of time around the course.
Speed limiter? Do you really plan on going 150 mph in this car?
Throttle remap- absolutely, makes a big difference.
Timing- changing the timing is part of the tune process.
Also, reset your idle speed to 750.
My 2.5 is AT.

I think rev limiter @7000rpm is a little higher because the transmission is slowly (If only had dual clutch... damn!). 6700~6800rpm is good for me in my experience with my old 2015 2.0.

Why not 140~150mph? Lol

Throttle remap on list.

My actual idle speed is 750.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts