2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, right now electric cars are expensive but the trends are clear, as exemplified by the 5k price reduction for the refreshed and improved Bolt. Ice cars can can only get more expensive with performance and price suffering from ever tightening emissions standards and unfavorable tax treatment. Intense electric car development is just getting going while ice engines have been tweaked for 125 years or so. Potential is largely wrung out as they have become increasing complex and expensive to produce (Sky x).
With the coming of cheaper more energy dense batteries, even average performing EVs will eventually be faster than many high performance gas cars. I think it will not be more than 1/2 dozen years before electrics out number ice sales in the U.S. (sooner in Europe and China) and ice cars slowly fade away and become as irrelevant as steam cars.
Not so sure it's a bad thing.
Your right, we have reached peak ICE. They are pushing nearly 200 HP out of a 2.5 liter engine which is very impressive. 10-15 years ago you would need a 3.0 to do that. From what I heard the sky active x engine hasnt sold very well in europe and japan. I do believe ICE engine development will be done in 3-5 years. Its why I was surpirsed to hear Mazda developing an inline 6. I nearly fell on the floor. Its great to see Mercedes and Land Rover using them now as well.
Biggest problem with electric is the electrical grid handling charging, charging stations being too slow on road trips, and price. Once they get that price down to 30-35k then things will change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, right now electric cars are expensive but the trends are clear, as exemplified by the 5k price reduction for the refreshed and improved Bolt. Ice cars can can only get more expensive with performance and price suffering from ever tightening emissions standards and unfavorable tax treatment. Intense electric car development is just getting going while ice engines have been tweaked for 125 years or so. Potential is largely wrung out as they have become increasing complex and expensive to produce (Sky x).
With the coming of cheaper more energy dense batteries, even average performing EVs will eventually be faster than many high performance gas cars. I think it will not be more than 1/2 dozen years before electrics out number ice sales in the U.S. (sooner in Europe and China) and ice cars slowly fade away and become as irrelevant as steam cars.
Not so sure it's a bad thing.
I think 6 years is aggressive, but I'd say in 12 years you're absolutely right...let's see what solid-state batteries can do. I still think the biggest impediment is not range, but the time required to full a battery up to 80%.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think 6 years is aggressive, but I'd say in 12 years you're absolutely right...let's see what solid-state batteries can do. I still think the biggest impediment is not range, but the time required to full a battery up to 80%.
I hope it takes forever. Your right, the charging part is also very slow as well. I would be happy with more mild hybrid systems were the battery provides a little bit of torque and HP for the engine as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Be honest here, who even can tell the difference between multilink and semi-independent rear suspension? In normal driving, no one would know unless they’re told that the 3 isn’t multilink. I can’t tell, and I still get a little spirited around the curves from time to time. It’s bragging rights, just like having a top end of 180 vs 150 — the vast majority of drivers wouldn’t ever know the difference 99.99% of the time.
Bomb through some corners with so-so pavement quality and you'll see the difference between a true independent rear suspension and the abomination the current 3 has. I tried it and felt the difference. I have a '13 Skyactiv hatch manual, btw. It's kinda slow, but it handles well, especially with Michelin Pilot AS3+ tires and Koni shocks and struts.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wonder
Bomb through some corners with so-so pavement quality and you'll see the difference between a true independent rear suspension and the abomination the current 3 has. I tried it and felt the difference. I have a '13 Skyactiv hatch manual, btw. It's kinda slow, but it handles well, especially with Michelin Pilot AS3+ tires and Koni shocks and struts.
I wonder what a set high quality shocks might do for the twist beams behavior.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wonder

I wonder what a set high quality shocks might do for the twist beams behavior.
I think you would have to go with softer bushings to smooth out the bumps better. I will say Turbo_geoduck is right. I've taken 2 Mazda 3's on the back roads and you do notice a bit of jiggliness in the back end with rough roads and Pennsylvania has plenty of those. Ultimately it was the compromise they made to give it a nicer, quieter, more luxurious interior. 80-90% of consumers won't notice the difference as they drive the car from point A to B which is a bulk of the market. For people who prefer fun to drive cars/sportiness it is definitely noticeable. For me I am ok with the compromise as I prefer the quieter interior. very comfortable seats and AWD.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For me I am ok with the compromise as I prefer the quieter interior. very comfortable seats and AWD.
I am with you on this one. With the Turbo, I have all the power I need at my age; a nice ride, a comfortable seat that is suitable for long day trips (when long road trips are feasible again) and a great stereo system is very high on my checklist. My Turbo filled these very nicely.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am with you on this one. With the Turbo, I have all the power I need at my age; a nice ride, a comfortable seat that is suitable for long day trips (when long road trips are feasible again) and a great stereo system is very high on my checklist. My Turbo filled these very nicely.
You have a great combo for a daily driver Mazda 3 Turbo and weekend warrior with the Mazda Miata. My hope is Mazda 3 AWD premium and my current 03 IS300.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently own an 03 IS300 and looking to get a Mazda 3 Sedan with AWD. I stopped by at dealership nearby and took one for test drive. Here are my thoughts.

1. Acceleration is a little faster than my Lexus which is perfect for me. Paddle shifters worked pretty well and the logic seems to be in the right gear most of the time.
2. I thought the handling was very good for a car of this class. A tad jittery in the back become of the Semi Independnt Rear Suspension but nothing that wasn't liveable. I'd replace the tires with a Michelin or BF Goodrich Ultra High Performance All-Season then put the OEM's back on when I turn it in.
3. Bose stereo sounds pretty solid. I have an after market in my Lexus with an Kenwood 4 channel amplifier, Kenwood mini powered sub under the seat and Kenwood Excelon speakers. I thought they were pretty close to comparable
4. Leather seats were very comfortable and the heat was fantastic helping me relax.
5. The Hud projecting the MPH on the glass was a bit distracting but I got used to it and it helped keep my eyes on the road.
6. I'm 6' 2" and there is only an inch or two more space in the rear then my Lexus. Not something I worried about but for tall people something to think about.
7. AWD really helps keep this car planted compared to the FWD car which I drove two weeks ago.
8. I do like you can turn off most of the safety features.

After the test drive I felt it was really damn close to my IS300 in fun to drive, acceleration, stereo and not being a very large vehicle. I plan on leasing sometime this year with the thought of purchasing it once it comes off lease or jumping up to the Mazda 6 AWD once my lease expires. Overall I believe it needs more rear seat leg room. Give it another 2 inches and for god sakes get rid of cylinder de-activation on the sedans. This is one thing keeping me from signing the papers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently own an 03 IS300 and looking to get a Mazda 3 Sedan with AWD. I stopped by at dealership nearby and took one for test drive. Here are my thoughts.

1. Acceleration is a little faster than my Lexus which is perfect for me. Paddle shifters worked pretty well and the logic seems to be in the right gear most of the time.
2. I thought the handling was very good for a car of this class. A tad jittery in the back become of the Semi Independnt Rear Suspension but nothing that wasn't liveable. I'd replace the tires with a Michelin or BF Goodrich Ultra High Performance All-Season then put the OEM's back on when I turn it in.
3. Bose stereo sounds pretty solid. I have an after market in my Lexus with an Kenwood 4 channel amplifier, Kenwood mini powered sub under the seat and Kenwood Excelon speakers. I thought they were pretty close to comparable
4. Leather seats were very comfortable and the heat was fantastic helping me relax.
5. The Hud projecting the MPH on the glass was a bit distracting but I got used to it and it helped keep my eyes on the road.
6. I'm 6' 2" and there is only an inch or two more space in the rear then my Lexus. Not something I worried about but for tall people something to think about.
7. AWD really helps keep this car planted compared to the FWD car which I drove two weeks ago.
8. I do like you can turn off most of the safety features.

After the test drive I felt it was really damn close to my IS300 in fun to drive, acceleration, stereo and not being a very large vehicle. I plan on leasing sometime this year with the thought of purchasing it once it comes off lease or jumping up to the Mazda 6 AWD once my lease expires. Overall I believe it needs more rear seat leg room. Give it another 2 inches and for god sakes get rid of cylinder de-activation on the sedans. This is one thing keeping me from signing the papers.
When you test drove the fwd Mazda3 did it have better acceleration than the awd and high speeds?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
When you test drove the fwd Mazda3 did it have better acceleration than the awd and high speeds?
I didn't really drive it on the highway at all. I imagine it would be slightly quicker but not very noticeable. With the AWD it made it feel more like my Lexus IS300 which is RWD giving it a much better feel to me on the back roads and curves where I drive it like I stole it. I'm willing to accept slightly slower acceleration to have a decent percentage of power going to the rear wheels.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts