2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Internet,

So I had to part ways with my '11 mazda6 and picked up a 2020 Mazda3 "Sport" GT AWD about a week ago and noticed a bug with the way the mazda connect II head unit functions after using Android Auto.

Some background: I retrofitted my old 6 with a pioneer avh-2400nex which had android auto. If i turned off the vehicle or disconnected my phone and wanted to just listen to music via bluetooth I'd just change audio sources and my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+ android 9.0) would re-connect and play.

However this is what happens with the new 3:
1) Device is connected via bluetooth for calls and audio > turn off car > Turn on car > Device connects for Phone + Audio (Business as usual)
2) Device is connected via bluetooth for calls and audio > connect s9+ for AA > data + audio is transferred via usb cable and bluetooth is used for phone > disconnect device or turn off car > turn on car > audio source bluetooth > no connected device found...
I have to go into settings > connectivity > bluetooth settings > select galaxy s9+ > change to phone and audio each time after using AA.

Troubleshooting:
Un-pairing device from phone and car (bluetooth and AA), clear bluetooth cache, clear AA cache, wipe cache partition on phone, pair using AA, Pair using phone, pair using car. Toggling between Specifing device connection order manually and last used. Pairing an iPhone 6 and seeing if the issue persists with carplay (it does). Specifying the device connection order to the iP6 first vs s9 and vice-versa.
We have a 2019 cx-5 in the house as well with the old mazda connect system and tested the s9 and the driver's Pixel 2. The Pixel auto-reconnected just fine however the s9 did not.
Lastly we tried linking the pixel 2 to the 2020 mazda3 via bluetooth and AA and it did not auto-reconnect via bluetooth audio after disconnecting from AA.

Also noticed that on the mazda3, USB 1/2 are always faded vs on the cx-5 it will show that an AA capable device is connected via USB under audio sources.

Wondering if:
a) anyone else encountered this issue ?
if so: How/Did you find a solution /workaround or are you just living with it
b) any further troubleshooting or things to try?
c) if your phones automatically reconnect for phone and audio vs just phone after using AA, what could possibly be happening differently?

I know this could just be an AA or Samsung issue and I'm at their mercy as well as Mazda/Joas users with different vehicles have posted about it in forums and reddit but i haven't come across anything among 4th gen mazda 3 owners

Technical Information of Devices used:
2020 Mazda 3 Sport GT AWD - Version 10042
Samsung Galaxy S9 - Android 9.0
Pixel 2 XL - Android 10
iPhone 6, IOS 12.4

If you read all this and/or offer feedback, you're a true bro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Haha...I encountered the same issue as you did, as with several other members here and on reddit...made a thread about it earlier and reported the issue to Google, but they never replied :(

I think the only thing to do is to report the issue to your dealer and then have them report it to Mazda corporate in the hopes of something being done...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha...I encountered the same issue as you did, as with several other members here and on reddit...made a thread about it earlier and reported the issue to Google, but they never replied :(

I think the only thing to do is to report the issue to your dealer and then have them report it to Mazda corporate in the hopes of something being done...
Crap dunno how I missed that, apologies about the duplicate thread. Luckily I know people at my local dealership and will do my best to have them escalate the issue for a future firmware update.

Would've thought they'd fixed it by now on the 2020's

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: So I sent my log and some of the other threads to the service manager at my local dealership and he forwarded it to mazda canada & japan. They're working with Panasonic to fix the bug and there will apparently will be fixed in the next update. No eta on that though :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts