2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

I'm new to the forum and I've tried searching for this topic and didn't really have any luck. So if I've missed this discussion any where (that can give me a definitive answer) then please point me to it and ignore this post.

I am in the market for a new car and the 3 has been calling to me after test driving a new 2021 3 2.5S sedan. I loved the drive of the car and went home to do some reading. This is when I found out about Mazda's Cylinder Deactivation (CD) and the issues (or potential issues) they were having with it.

My question to the forum is how accurate is the Mazda (USA in my case) website when it comes to stating whether a model (or trim of model) has CD on it? I noticed in a previous thread in this forum that other members believe all of the 2021 HB in FWD do not have CD. I see this same information reflected on Mazda USA's website but get conflicting information with other car outlets online. Can you help me out?

This is what I can gather so far:
YEARBODY STYLETRIM (2.5)FWD w/ CD?AWD w/ CD?
2020SedanBase -> Preferrednoyes
2020SedanPremiumyesyes
2020HatchbackAllyesyes
2021SedanS -> Preferrednoyes
2021SedanSelectyesyes
2021HatchbackAllnono

Thank you.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,322 Posts
I thought it was being phased out for all '21 models?
CK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CK,

There in lies my confusion about this. That table from my previous post was built based off of Mazda USA's website. It's almost as if they are using up the CD engines in a few of the 3 trims (sedan only) for 2021.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mazda’s own literature has been updated for 2021. The models with cylinder deactivation have a different fuel economy rating and you would be able to see the cylinder deactivation status under an “energy” screen in the infotainment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mazda’s own literature has been updated for 2021. The models with cylinder deactivation have a different fuel economy rating and you would be able to see the cylinder deactivation status under an “energy” screen in the infotainment.
Yeah, I saw on the USA website the 3s appeared to have updated figures. Unfortunately my local dealer (I'm in SC) only has a few 2021s and they are 2.5S Sedans.

Would the 2020 models have the CD called out on their window sticker if I went looking? This being the case without having access to the interior of the car and the infotainment to look for the "energy" screen.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I saw on the USA website the 3s appeared to have updated figures. Unfortunately my local dealer (I'm in SC) only has a few 2021s and they are 2.5S Sedans.

Would the 2020 models have the CD called out on their window sticker if I went looking? This being the case without having access to the interior of the car and the infotainment to look for the "energy" screen.

In 2020, only the Premium sedan had CD with FWD. All models had CD with AWD. 2020 Mazda 3 Sedan – Compare Vehicle Specs and Trims | Mazda USA
For 2020 FWD models, the window sticker fuel rating is 26/35 without CD and 27/36 with CD. Strangely for 2021 it looks like all FWD models have the same fuel rating regardless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In 2020, only the Premium sedan had CD with FWD. All models had CD with AWD. 2020 Mazda 3 Sedan – Compare Vehicle Specs and Trims | Mazda USA
For 2020 FWD models, the window sticker fuel rating is 26/35 without CD and 27/36 with CD. Strangely for 2021 it looks like all FWD models have the same fuel rating regardless.
Would I be able to see the CD status from the center screen if a model had CD on it? The Sedan Select does not show CD status under the fuel activity screen (do not remember the proper name) for 2021, so I saw at the dealership today.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Would I be able to see the CD status from the center screen if a model had CD on it? The Sedan Select does not show CD status under the fuel activity screen (do not remember the proper name) for 2021, so I saw at the dealership today.

If it exists, go from home to information, then fuel efficiency monitor. When you see the chart click down the command knob and there should be an option called 'Energy Flow Monitor' and it will show a graphic of the front end of the car with four pistons and they will light up in various ways depending on what CD is doing. I am pretty sure this menu isn't available on non CD cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Keeping. I'm wondering if the USA website is incorrect because the Select doesn't have the CD status screen: I actually checked 2 Select cars today, which didn't have the CD status screen, and a HB AWD that I knew had the CD status screen and found it easily. Also the Select shares the same MPG as all the other 2.5 FWD.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how big of a deal is the CD to you? I assume quite a bit judging by your research here. I have it my 2019, I got it fairly early into production and have had my fair share of recalls. Including the one for CD and after 30k miles it hasn't given me any grief or cause for concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I keep my cars for a long time and prefer to minimize (I know nothing is certain) my exposure to possible failure points in the future, especially for 1-2 MPG extra out of the car. I actually took home a Select today and attached you'll see my Fuel Efficiency Monitor screen. Please forgive the poor nightly pictures. The cylinder layout option you speak of isn't an option.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I keep my cars for a long time and prefer to minimize (I know nothing is certain) my exposure to possible failure points in the future, especially for 1-2 MPG extra out of the car. I actually took home a Select today and attached you'll see my Fuel Efficiency Monitor screen. Please forgive the poor nightly pictures. The cylinder layout option you speak of isn't an option.
Gotcha, yeah those pictures look like what I thought it would for non CD models. I would say the car you took home doesn't have CD.

Im also on the same page about keeping cars for a good while. I paid for extended power train warranty that gives me 8 years and a 120k miles. That same warranty was being given at no additional costs and 0% APR at my local dealer a month or two ago. I'm guessing to boost or maintain sales during COVID.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For one thing the cylinders & rings are going to literally wear @ a different rate. Not ideal. The ones that stay on will have 100k when the other 2 have 80k
I don't disagree that there will be uneven wear on cylinders 1 and 4 vs 2 and 3. But I don't think it will be as severe or noticeable as you are suggesting. Even when 1 and 4 are deactivated the pistons still move, the only difference is the valves are disengaged:

Overall not trying to fanboy or mis lead people, the extra hardware and software do bring along features and complexities that are harder to diagnose, fix, and cost more. However, it's also true that in forums like this the negative opinions and experiences are unequally represented. They are valid but they can be inflated to seem more widespread then they really are since not every owner is represented and the good things aren't discussed because they are functioning to expectations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts