2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown2:Has anybody found a trailer hitch that fits the 2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback? I have tried both the Draw-Tite 24914 and Curt 11377 hitches, and neither of them fit. The holes didn't line up, and there are no weld-nuts in the frame, as are shown in the Draw-Tite installation instructions. Both instructions say "No drilling required". My car was built in Japan.

Torklift doesn't have a Eco-Hitch part for this model yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
:frown2:Has anybody found a trailer hitch that fits the 2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback? I have tried both the Draw-Tite 24914 and Curt 11377 hitches, and neither of them fit. The holes didn't line up, and there are no weld-nuts in the frame, as are shown in the Draw-Tite installation instructions. Both instructions say "No drilling required". My car was built in Japan.

Torklift doesn't have a Eco-Hitch part for this model yet.
I am in the same boat. I have tried installing both the Draw-tite and the Curt hitches. Both sites have now retracted their initial claims that those hitches fit the 2019 Hatchback. Draw-tite has released a 2019 Sedan specific model for anyone looking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It has finally happened we have a hitch folks!!!!!!

Draw-tite part number 24984!

Now it is just a matter of finding a place to order it. I already contacted etrailer to see if they can get it in!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Anyone knows if there is a hitch or bike carrier that uses the tow hook holes? Like this:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a '17 Mazda6. In the owners manual it indicates that those threaded bosses (for eyes) were solely for use ship-board, when the vehicles came from overseas; and that they are not to be used as towing eyes. Presumably that is because when towing - the load applied comprises both a tension load and a bending-moment. I have to presume that used for shipping - there are deck tie-down jigs that allow the anchors to only pull or push axially... no bending-moment.

I realize the Mazda3 is made in Mexico... and may be overland-shipped to North American markets. But the Mazda3 is a world-wide design, more or less, so it still has those threaded bosses / bumper cover caps.

The link showing the trailer hitch on the BRZ - 100 lbs. tongue load max - in my humble opinion are not a good design as it totally contravenes the no-bending-moment notion. I realize that car is a Toyubaru... not a Mazda 3 or 6 - but just 'sayin....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a '17 Mazda6. In the owners manual it indicates that those threaded bosses (for eyes) were solely for use ship-board, when the vehicles came from overseas; and that they are not to be used as towing eyes. Presumably that is because when towing - the load applied comprises both a tension load and a bending-moment. I have to presume that used for shipping - there are deck tie-down jigs that allow the anchors to only pull or push axially... no bending-moment.

I realize the Mazda3 is made in Mexico... and may be overland-shipped to North American markets. But the Mazda3 is a world-wide design, more or less, so it still has those threaded bosses / bumper cover caps.

The link showing the trailer hitch on the BRZ - 100 lbs. tongue load max - in my humble opinion are not a good design as it totally contravenes the no-bending-moment notion. I realize that car is a Toyubaru... not a Mazda 3 or 6 - but just 'sayin....
Right I read that for gen 3 also when searching around. Gen 4’s manual:
Code:
Do not use the front and rear tiedown eyelets for towing the vehicle. They have been designed only for securing
the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping. Using the eyelets for any other purpose could result in the vehicle being damaged.
Though it is car specific. For example, the Mini has this accessory from factory:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
I agree it is car specific... but I can't think that a boss like that would be THAT strong, let alone the rods that thread-in to the boss. It just doesn't sit right with the engineer in me...

This is the one I like (Australia Mazda OEM accessory)... GH and GJ generation of Mazda6's "tow-bars" shown. Mazda3 units are very similar. Mazda Australia website.

Rated 1500 kg tow wt., 120 kg tongue weight. Not that you'd WANT to approach those values... but demonstrative of how husky these are.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like the reviews for the hitch show one 4th gen hatch owner (AWD) needed to widen some of the mounting holes on the subframe for this hitch. Please let us know if this is the case for you as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts