2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing rubber/seals warping under the hot sun? I have door weather strips that are moving around enough to see plastic white pins(?) underneath that are supposed to hold it in place(?) and front door window seals slowly protruding out from under the vertical plastic column where the b pillar is. i suspect that the moving seals are the reason i'm hearing some wind leak now from my passenger rear corner.

the heat is also the reason for my front door seals jamming into my rear doors, which is similar to the issues others are having where the doors catch rubber when you open them.

Unfortunately i can't always park under shade

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm having the problem where front seal/black trim is catching on rear seal/trim, causing the door to stick. This occurs while being parked in the sun. Hard to avoid in central Florida.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having the problem where front seal/black trim is catching on rear seal/trim, causing the door to stick. This occurs while being parked in the sun. Hard to avoid in central Florida.
These seals (along with some of these materials) don't respond well to temperature at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That happened to me as well, the Mazda Dealer had to replace the weather strips they were being tear apart because of what you mention, so yeah, and now is happening all over again.

At this point I'm not sure if the problem is bad material used here or the design is not the optimal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My driver's side front door was sticking when opened. The upper corner of the seal was out of place. I peeked at passenger front to see how it went in and just put it back in place and haven't had a problem since. Hard to explain but you will see what's wrong if look, it needs tucked inside door groove basically if it's the same problem I had.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same problem. Yesterday the dealer have fixed it, because my 3 was there for 3 recalls.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, warping weatherstrips that cause the front door to stick to the back door. Making matters worse the rear driverside floor board gets wet when it rains, seems to be coming from the sill area (dealer couldn't duplicate). Mazda really needs to do something about these door seals/weatherstrips!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would anyone else mind posting some pictures of how the B-pillar gap/fit & finish looks like on your 2019. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, warping weatherstrips that cause the front door to stick to the back door. Making matters worse the rear driverside floor board gets wet when it rains, seems to be coming from the sill area (dealer couldn't duplicate). Mazda really needs to do something about these door seals/weatherstrips!!!
Gyoza, mine looks exactly like your pictures 1, 2, & 3. practically identical. it happens to me when door faces the sun for about half an hour. heat causes the trim to expand and jut into the rear door.

But obviously, this is a serious design flaw. I've been waiting to hear back from service dealer about an update about the part. So far, a few others have reported this issue with their service dealers, but no news about a new part.

Gyoza, what is the 4th picture? You mentioned floorboard leak-- can you describe this a bit more?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I contacted Mazda corporate and created a case. She's goes back to the dealer tomorrow, we shall see. I hope that if enough of us bring it to Mazda's attention, they'll come out with an updated part. For such a gorgeous car the fit & finish on the doors is poor, I made sure I made that very clear on my email to Mazda. As far as the wet floorboard, I noticed that the rear driver side floorboard would get wet after it would rain. The one difference between the two rear doors, is that the left rear would have water puddling at the sill (picture #4). When I took it to the dealer, they couldn't find any leaks (of course). I've got some towels down (just in case), but will keep monitoring. I have never seen trim expand and contract so much. I hope they come out with updated parts soon. This is not good for Mazda's upmarket move.

·
Registered
38 Posts
O
Gyoza, mine looks exactly like your pictures 1, 2, & 3. practically identical. it happens to me when door faces the sun for about half an hour. heat causes the trim to expand and jut into the rear door.

But obviously, this is a serious design flaw. I've been waiting to hear back from service dealer about an update about the part. So far, a few others have reported this issue with their service dealers, but no news about a new part.

Gyoza, what is the 4th picture? You mentioned floorboard leak-- can you describe this a bit more?
n

On a side note have you reached out to Mazda corporate, [email protected] ? We need to hit the issue from every possible avenue until it is fully addressed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On a side note have you reached out to Mazda corporate, [email protected] ? We need to hit the issue from every possible avenue until it is fully addressed.
Yeah. I already did. I'm really annoyed.
The trim changes shape with temperature very easily.
Even the weatherstripping around doors started shifting this past summer.
I had lumps along passenger front door interior-side weather strip that i had to flatten out by hand.
I had another weather strip on rear door that was sliding off the metal because the rest of the strip was pulling it down.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts