2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2019 premium sedan- normal to have error codes after jumping dead battery?? (~1.5 months idle)

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JBrian 
#1 ·
So the car sat in the parking lot for 1.5 months without use and the battery died. After jumping it, it started displaying multiple error codes (push-button start error, parking break error, headlights, etc.). The dealer changed the battery/reinstalled software but said it was normal behavior for all recently produced cars to exhibit this behavior due to increase of electronics and the battery not syncing with satellite. Apparently I should be expecting this every time my battery dies, and it would occur for all new cars (again due to increase of electronics)?? Sounded like BS, anybody got a clue?

#3 ·
It happened to me as well a few weeks ago. I received a Push Button Start Error and an Engine Malfunctioning Error after jump starting. I forget if it was 4, 5, or 6 since I was in a bad mood at the time, but if turn vehicle on and off multiple times in a row it will take the error codes away. I have a couple cars and don't drive the Mazda as much as I should. I was told there are 6 computers in the car and it has a greater than average draw while parked. I also found out the car will not go into sleep mode if car is unlocked. I left it unlocked in garage before learning this information. I have a battery tender but hate using it when not home in case something went wrong. I drove the car for 2 weeks and drove 45mins to a Mazda dealership. They still had to charge the battery for 2 hours before they could even do 2 reprograming recalls........and they said the battery passed and was normal. To me driving the car for 2 weeks plus a 45 min drive would of charged a good battery on its own. I'll go buy a Duralast Gold battery with my own money before Winter since Mazda must need the $160 more than me lol.

#4 ·
It happened to me as well a few weeks ago. I received a Push Button Start Error and an Engine Malfunctioning Error after jump starting. I forget if it was 4, 5, or 6 since I was in a bad mood at the time, but if turn vehicle on and off multiple times in a row it will take the error codes away. I have a couple cars and don't drive the Mazda as much as I should. I was told there are 6 computers in the car and it has a greater than average draw while parked. I also found out the car will not go into sleep mode if car is unlocked. I left it unlocked in garage before learning this information. I have a battery tender but hate using it when not home in case something went wrong. I drove the car for 2 weeks and drove 45mins to a Mazda dealership. They still had to charge the battery for 2 hours before they could even do 2 reprograming recalls........and they said the battery passed and was normal. To me driving the car for 2 weeks plus a 45 min drive would of charged a good battery on its own. I'll go buy a Duralast Gold battery with my own money before Winter since Mazda must need the $160 more than me lol.
Grab a good AGM & CTEK MXS 5.0. Your BP & batt will thank you for them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yup, I've had a dead battery several times after leaving the stereo on for maybe an hour each time. Had to jump it with our mini van each time. Sucks...I'm gonna swap batteries to something beefier. Seems to be a common issue with the new 3s. I dont want to have to keep the battery on a tender like a motorcycle.

I've disabled the lights when locking/unlocking the car to reduce drain. Also disabled Wifi in case of parasitic drain when car is not running. I have a 2020.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.