2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mazda seems to be focusing a bit more on NVH and moving upscale while still having unique or at least interesting technology solutions under the skyactiv brand

new model pros

lighter - more high strength steel / less mild steel
body dampers and more weld seam sealing
torsion beam rear (NVH, more rear seat space)
greater development on seating and cockpit feel for NVH / Comfort
new spcci engine for hopefully better economy, performance, emissions - dunno on nvh - articles seemed to thing it was perfectly smooth but they all mentioned the knocking noise during transitions between engine loads

cons -

torsion beam rear (handling)
spcci noise potentially a con if not fixed in development

not a deal breaker to me personally, especially considering the pros - i would be really interested to see how they handle back to back - it may be a downgrade in terms of performance but mazda still cares about the driving experience greatly - i cant imagine it would be that bad

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well... an independent rear suspension is no longer fully independent when you put an anti-sway bar on it. Anyway, maybe they can engineer it to be 'good enough?' I don't know. But it seems like a torsion beam rear works OK in smaller cars (Fiesta, MZ2)... I can't help but think some of the zoom zoom will be lost to the bean counters.

·
Registered
109 Posts
would be interesting if dave coleman did a video explainer / presentation on the different techs and things going into the new m3 - i remember watching one in the past for the various skyactiv tech in the current gen and it was pretty informative

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is very disappointing. There's absolutely no shortage of mid-size (and larger) sedans out there with far better NVH than the Mazda3, and which have multilink independent rear suspensions. The only cars that have torsion bars are cheap economy cars. If torsion bars actually made sense, you'd see them used in Acuras, Infinitis, BMWs, etc.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is very disappointing. There's absolutely no shortage of mid-size (and larger) sedans out there with far better NVH than the Mazda3, and which have multilink independent rear suspensions. The only cars that have torsion bars are cheap economy cars. If torsion bars actually made sense, you'd see them used in Acuras, Infinitis, BMWs, etc.
Much agreed.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,366 Posts
Let's hope they found a good way to integrate it into the build.

These cars were not built to handle like a Civic... oh...the horror.
CK

·
Registered
335 Posts
I recall Honda did this a few years ago with the Civic. Disappointing Mazda is going this route.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Didn't the VW Jetta go to torsion bar or something to eliminate independent rear suspension shortly after 2010? It is not a cheap economy car.

Think Mustang did it, too, but went back to independent rear suspension.

Ralph

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hopefully they do a good job. If they sacrifice the driving experience, they will lose me and other customers. I may as well just get a Toyota next time or maybe an electric car.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Not willing to count the move to torsion beam out because Mazda has always figured out a way to do handling well. BUT, I want to drive a 2019 to determine whether they have pulled this off, or sacrificed handling to NVH reduction.

As far as I am concerned, the jury is out (no conclusion until my test drive).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't the VW Jetta go to torsion bar or something to eliminate independent rear suspension shortly after 2010? It is not a cheap economy car.

Think Mustang did it, too, but went back to independent rear suspension.

Ralph
VW cheapened out and used torsion beam suspension on the Jetta. Owners complained and now they have switched back to IRS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is Mazda we're talking about. Even the CX9 handles pretty well. I would bet they'll figure out a way to make the torsion beam system work well. Obviously they are quite creative. Time will tell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Saw the picture of its new torsion beam suspension. They surely have enough space for an independent rear but they cheap out or the space are for putting a hybrid version or a awd on it like the A class does... They probably cheap out for the entry and only make it available to the higher trim models.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,366 Posts
I have a sliver of hope that when the Skyactiv-X release is made...they will also do a Signature release and that it will have a multi link suspension and AWD.

Not a Mazdaspeed...but more sport inspired than the other offerings.

That would be a very attractive offering and might shape how gen4 suspensions get packaged in future years.
CK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts