2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the title, has anyone installed remote start on their 2019 Mazda 3 and how thin will my wallet be after paying for it?

I did find one thread on it, mentioning a cost of ~$300 but it was half a year ago. Do we have any aftermarket competition now?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I checked with local shop about a month ago and according to him nothing out yet unless they use spare key to bypass and his best guess was Fall 2020 for CompuStar. Someone installed a Mazda one on here but it will not work for what I want. Where I park is far from my job and I want the option to start with my phone as well as a FOB that doesn't have to be so close to car that it's useless to even have one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked with local shop about a month ago and according to him nothing out yet unless they use spare key to bypass and his best guess was Fall 2020 for CompuStar. Someone installed a Mazda one on here but it will not work for what I want. Where I park is far from my job and I want the option to start with my phone as well as a FOB that doesn't have to be so close to car that it's useless to even have one.
Thanks for the information, I think it's best to wait. One, because of the lack of integration capabilities. Two, the cost and competition.

I was quoted by a local shop here that they could install one that has LTE modem capabilities but I doubt it's for this car because the person I talked to wasn't an installer and just referencing their standard installations. They quoted me $500-$700 which is wayyyy above what it should be. Installation should be no more than $100 (unless you're in some weird location) and the kit itself should be <$200 unless it's like you said, a long range cell network kit.

I just want something that integrates with the OEM keyfob and provides the same distance as the OEM keyfob. Not worth it for $500+ at this point in time. Maybe for some, but not for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
From my searching, there doesn’t seem to be a solution without using one of your key fobs in the car. Usually brand new vehicles (especially now that most are smart keys) take at least a year for the bypass companies to figure out, program and test. It’s a pain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had a factory remote starter installed in my 2019 Mazda 3. $500 installed . Ouch, but I REALLY wanted a starter.
After market units were $300 and you would lose a remote. A new spare remote would be $200...total $500 from an after market installer

Here's the info:
P/N BCKA-V7-620 Starter Module
P/N BCKA-V7-630 Install kit
Range = 2000ft.
Unit is Owner adjustable for 10 "or" 30 min. of on time
If a door is opened during the engine running time, the engine will shut off.
Owner option of having rear defrost on....or not ( each time )
Comes with its own fob. You then still have your factory 2 original fobs.
No horns or lights come on or sound off

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had a factory remote starter installed in my 2019 Mazda 3. $500 installed . Ouch, but I REALLY wanted a starter.
After market units were $300 and you would lose a remote. A new spare remote would be $200...total $500 from an after market installer

Here's the info:
P/N BCKA-V7-620 Starter Module
P/N BCKA-V7-630 Install kit
Range = 2000ft.
Unit is Owner adjustable for 10 "or" 30 min. of on time
If a door is opened during the engine running time, the engine will shut off.
Owner option of having rear defrost on....or not ( each time )
No horns or lights come on or sound off
What did you end up paying for the kit itself? Best I can find is around $300 + $50 but maybe you found a better deal.

I'll install it myself if I can find it for sub $300...unless there's some dealer locked software bull that needs a special computer

·
Registered
8 Posts
What did you end up paying for the kit itself? Best I can find is around $300 + $50 but maybe you found a better deal.

I'll install it myself if I can find it for sub $300...unless there's some dealer locked software bull that needs a special computer
The starter cost $387.96. The install kit cost $51.96. Total = $439.02

Now for the back story. My selling salesman is a neighbor of mine. He talked to the Parts/Service Depts. A good word from him plus Military and Senior discounts brought the unit down to $339.02 plus $200 labor so the cost was actually $539.02. It's not cheap but could be worse.

With this vehicle, I would be VERY skeptical of any after market unit........but that's just me. Good luck.
YMMV.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet the issues were related to people not keeping up with the subscription bill.
Eh, that and the cost to actually produce working software and maintain a CS team to deal with people who aren't technically inclined. I've heard a lot of horror stories about it. If they gave me a working remote start app I'd happily pay the $10 a month or whatever it is for it.

The starter cost $387.96. The install kit cost $51.96. Total = $439.02

Now for the back story. My selling salesman is a neighbor of mine. He talked to the Parts/Service Depts. A good word from him plus Military and Senior discounts brought the unit down to $339.02 plus $200 labor so the cost was actually $539.02. It's not cheap but could be worse.

With this vehicle, I would be VERY skeptical of any after market unit........but that's just me. Good luck.
YMMV.
Much appreciated. Sounds like they gave you the lowest they can sell it for, i.e. the same price one may find online. Your information will certainly help others in the future.

I'm leasing so the cost isn't worth it over 3 years but if I can get it down a couple hundred it will. If you're going to own the vehicle long term, it's well worth the $500 for comfort alone. Once more aftermarket competition comes into play, I'm sure that'll happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I get a little paranoid sometimes with remote starters that are installed after market regarding
future starter/electrical issues. Of course the factory unit could be problematic also....but less likely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I get a little paranoid sometimes with remote starters that are installed after market regarding
future starter/electrical issues. Of course the factory unit could be problematic also....but less likely.
You're not paranoid, I agree with you. It's unlikely that a problem will occur, but with these new cars, the cost to replace a single control module is asinine. I'm not some old fart either so that really doesn't have much to do with anything. I work with engineers pretty regularly and I'm very familiar with PCB's, integrated circuits, and software. The extra few hundred dollars to have the dealer be responsible for any issues is well worth it imho.

As you'd expect, once the technology reaches a certain level of maturity it's as safe if not safer than OEM. That's the boat I'm in. Anyways, I'm rambling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm really surprised that there is so little chatter on the net regarding remote starters for this car. I had to really dig.
However Mazda only sold 50,000 of these in '19 so that might be a factor.

Actually, I am an old fart (75) but......I'm a Kool old fart. My toy is a 435 HP '17 Mustang GT.
:cool:

The 3 is for the wife....and she loves it, as do I.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just had a factory remote starter installed in my 2019 Mazda 3. $500 installed
That remote looks very simplistic compared to Mazda's old remote starter remotes. There's no display or anything other than an LED? Is it even 2-way so you can know if it's working?
Does the remote beep or otherwise indicate what is happening?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm really surprised that there is so little chatter on the net regarding remote starters for this car. I had to really dig.
However Mazda only sold 50,000 of these in '19 so that might be a factor.

Actually, I am an old fart (75) but......I'm a Kool old fart. My toy is a 435 HP '17 Mustang GT.
:cool:

The 3 is for the wife....and she loves it, as do I.
That remote looks very simplistic compared to Mazda's old remote starter remotes. There's no display or anything other than an LED? Is it even 2-way so you can know if it's working?
Does the remote beep or otherwise indicate what is happening?
So the fob produces audible beeps when used. The LED will light up Green for a successful start
or Red if no start. The warm-up time is owner adjustable. By using fob functions the car can be set
for 10 or 30 minute run times. Also, using the fob you can turn on the rear defroster.....or not. The
rear defroster automatically turns off after 15 minutes, regardless.

Once started, the remaining run time can be checked with the fob. I have found that a 10 minute
run time is plenty.....unless you live in Alaska. If you plan on using the starter you will need
to turn on the defrost button and turn up the heat before hand for the next morning. The unit also has a car find function. The kit comes with only one remote, 2 would be nice.... especially for this kind of money.
Vehicle will turn off if doors are opened. Obviously the doors are locked while running. I really like the
fact that no horns blow and no lights are on while running. Range of this unit is 2000 FT.

Apparently, cars with push button starts are very different animals from their key start cousins. For a push to
start ignition, I would only go with a factory unit. At this point, personally, I could not trust an aftermarket unit.
FOB battery life is one year ( uses two CR 2032's ) Mazda dealer will replace these free, at least my dealer will. Probably best to replace these annually.

I like it. Works as advertised. No delay when starting. Push the button and the car starts immediately

BTW, I know that Mazda was using a mobile start phone app previously. Apparently there were many
problems with this set-up and was dis-continued.

I have a '19 Select model. I just found out that the 2019 Preferred model comes with a factory remote
starter.

My dealer STILL has 69 2019 Mazda3's in their inventory. These things just are not selling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info, ezracer! It’s reassuring that you’re satisfied with the OEM remote start, as I know people were not always so happy with Mazda’s past efforts in these areas.

It’s funny that in almost all the photos I’m seeing of these things online they seldom show the actual fob for this model - I’m usually seeing the old version, but it makes sense that the fob matches the fob for the 2019 Mazda 3. I’m not a big fan of the 2019 fob, to be honest, it’s clunky and overly large and plasticky with buttons placed in unintuitive locations, but I guess I don’t have to touch it much given that my doors lock and unlock automatically and I have push-button start.

One concern I have with this is that now having the remote start means I’d have to carry two behemoth fobs, at least during the winter.

I’m in Canada, so the models are a little bit different here — on mid level “GS” trim and above we get a heated steering wheel, Qi charging is not included, and there are rear parking sensors on the GT trim. I’m pretty sure there’s no preinstalled factory remote start on any of the 2019 Mazda 3s here.

The new CX-30 has telematics features — “Mazda Connected Services” — that allow remote start using a smartphone app, among other things so maybe this will come to future Mazda 3s as they are almost the same vehicle (albeit $3,500 CAD more expensive for top level trims). After 3 years this requires a subscription fee.

More info on that here: 2020 Mazda CX-30 Features – Convenience Features | Mazda USA

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in Maryland which has high humidity. Typically, in winter, we have THICK frost on our cars in the morning. Or, we've had freezing rain overnite and the car is an ice cube. Periodically we get some snow. usually 1-2 inches.

That said, I keep my remote at home. I agree it is a large remote. I don't see any alternatives so you just need to take the remote with you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone! I know this is an older post, but just found out from my Mazda Dealership in Portland, OR that as of about a month or so ago they're issuing a FREE 6 month Auto Start function on their My Mazda App that requires no payment and no FOB. I just installed it, on my phone, for my car, a 2019 Mazda 3 Premium Hatchback. It allows you to start it, lock the doors, turn on the lights, and something with Navigation if you purchased the card, which I did not. It shows how much tire pressure you have in each tire, and will alert you if your doors didn't lock when you walked away. You can NOT leave a FOB in the car for it to work, which is great, because then I'm not wasting one of my two FOBs; and those honeys aren't cheap. It sends a notification back to your phone when the requested action has been completed. I like this feature.

It will NOT turn on the seat warmer, nor the rear defrost, however, if you turn on the Front defroster before turning off the engine, it will turn on and run the defroster at the last set temp. It will only run your car for 15 minutes before automatically shutting off, will not remote start if you have less than 1/4 (?) tank, maybe 1/8 tank... One strange thing about the app is that when you open the door, the car automatically shuts off. I can't figure out how to bypass this feature. It's annoying and inevitably, over the life of the car, wears out the engine with double the "starts". I was Googling how to remedy this "Safety Feature" when I found this forum so I registered and am typing this in hopes to help some of you from spending big bucks, and having someone drill unnecessary holes in your baby!

This service, through the app is good for 3 years from the time of purchase, but it's free for 6 months, which will get us through the winter... ;)

One thing to note for those suspicious of Big Brother, including myself, when you sign up, you have to agree to allow them to track data on your car, even after you stop using the app, and even if you sell it...... EEKS! It was in the 467 page long Terms and Conditions (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating on the number of pages, but it was in-depth none the less). There is a way to turn it off, but you have to write them, or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This sounds pretty great, although Mazda's past cellular remote start system was awful and elicited tons of complaints. Hopefully the new one is far better.

Unfortunately this service isn't available in Canada, and through the diagnostics mode of the car, you can confirm that there isn't even the requisite telematics hardware installed in Canadian Mazda 3s :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts