2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Preferred in Machine Grey Metallic
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having some minor issues with parasitic battery drain on my 2019 Mazda 3 Preferred. Like many Mazda owners, this car is often stored unlocked in a garage. Much to my surprise, I read earlier today that if you don't lock the car some of the Mazda 3 systems remain active, which contributes to premature battery drain. The poster also said that it takes approximately 10-15 minutes after locking the vehicle for all of the systems to go to sleep. Here's the thread: Mazda 3 - Parasitic Drain - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

I'm testing this theory now, but can any other Mazda owners or mechanics confirm that this is true?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I've been having some minor issues with parasitic battery drain on my 2019 Mazda 3 Preferred. Like many Mazda owners, this car is often stored unlocked in a garage. Much to my surprise, I read earlier today that if you don't lock the car some of the Mazda 3 systems remain active, which contributes to premature battery drain. The poster also said that it takes approximately 10-15 minutes after locking the vehicle for all of the systems to go to sleep. Here's the thread: Mazda 3 - Parasitic Drain - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

I'm testing this theory now, but can any other Mazda owners or mechanics confirm that this is true?
Pretty much all modern cars take time to go sleep mode. And even while at sleep, it's stays aware. Do what many do....grab a trickle charger to maintain batt health, charge & extend its life. CTEK is a good reliable 1. Plug when parked/stored, unplug when car is to be used.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@minsanity, it's funny you should mention that. It's hooked up to a CTEK MXS 5.0 right now. In fact, late last night I tried using the recondition mode and for some reason, it completely restarted the process about an hour ago, without any power interruption. Do you know why that could have happened?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
@minsanity, it's funny you should mention that. It's hooked up to a CTEK MXS 5.0 right now. In fact, late last night I tried using the recondition mode and for some reason, it completely restarted the process about an hour ago, without any power interruption. Do you know why that could have happened?
Wonder what your batt state/condition is. Does it ever go to pulse?
Below explains what it does during recon mode. On a good batt, you'll just need to go once or twice yearly on this mode.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, the car just completed it's one year anniversary, so this was the very first time I've used the Recondition mode. Now, for whatever reason, the CTEK won't go pass Step 3, regardless of whether RECON is on or not. Plus, it's making a loud buzzing noise, which I've never heard before. For the past year the CTEK, sans RECON, has been great!

On another note, I can confirm that locking the car does in fact stop the parasitic battery drain, at least in my car, so that's good to know.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yes, the car just completed it's one year anniversary, so this was the very first time I've used the Recondition mode. Now, for whatever reason, the CTEK won't go pass Step 3, regardless of whether RECON is on or not. Plus, it's making a loud buzzing noise, which I've never heard before. For the past year the CTEK, sans RECON, has been great!

On another note, I can confirm that locking the car does in fact stop the parasitic battery drain, at least in my car, so that's good to know.
Unlocked something on locking there.
Checked the manual, recon shouldn't take forever. It says:
Always check that the charger has switched to STEP 7 before leaving the charger unattended and connected for long periods. If the charger has not switched to STEP 7 within 50 hours, this is an indication of an error. Manually disconnect the charger.
No error lamp?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, for the additional info. No, no error light. I tried reconnecting it a few times, both with and without RECON, but it would never get past Step 3. Now, I'm afraid to reconnect it for fear that it might damage the battery.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Thanks, for the additional info. No, no error light. I tried reconnecting it a few times, both with and without RECON, but it would never get past Step 3. Now, I'm afraid to reconnect it for fear that it might damage the battery.
Contact CTEK on your concern.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know what the normal drain for a 2019 Mazda 3 should be?

Also, how do you disable the driver's side door sensor so I can leave that open to conduct my tests? And finally, does the Mazda 3 hood have any sensors that need to be disabled so I can leave that up as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does anyone know what the normal drain for a 2019 Mazda 3 should be?

Also, how do you disable the driver's side door sensor so I can leave that open to conduct my tests? And finally, does the Mazda 3 hood have any sensors that need to be disabled so I can leave that up as well? Thanks!
I just had my Mazda in for service a week ago and battery dieing when parked for a week was one of the issues. I believe he said the car has 6 computers and draws more than an average car does. Off top of my head so could be wrong, but I believe he said 3.2 amps. What he didn't tell me, and I just learned on this thread is locking the car while in garage helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! That's a lot of computers. I believe that the typical battery drain for most newer cars is 50 to 85 milliamps, so I think he misinformed you. I would be interested in the real number though. Yes, locking the car is a must. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Few days ago i accidentally lock my key in truck. It took around 1 hour before i manage to get 2nd key. In that hour something drained battery. That was big surprise. Service didn't had any logical answer to that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just purchased a clamp-style amp meter from Amazon. Specifically a Uni-T UT210E. The 2019 Mazda 3 when asleep is currently reading about 45 milliamps. Does anyone know what the normal milliamp measurement for this car should be? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So apparently I hadn't let the Mazda 3 go all the way to sleep. After about an hour, it's now reading an incredibly low 4 milliamps but fluctuates up to 29 milliamps. Is that normal?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Upon further review, I've noticed that the milliamps will increase from 4 to 29 every 10 seconds. Could this be the Mazda 3 PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts