2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to do the first oil change on my son's 2019 Mazda 3 Sedan and I discover that the Mazda oil filter installed on the car in Japan, which is Mazda part #K3804, is different then what the dealer sold me to replace it, which is K4238, and a smaller filter. The Mazda parts guy is adamant that this is the right oil filter. I'm not. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Here's a photo of the oil filter that came with the car.

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
A larger filter has more capacity, and the filter media has more surface area. It probably makes little difference though as long as the part is correct for the application.
In this case, you should be using the K3804, or Mazda part PE01-14-302A. The K4238 might be just a tiny bit smaller in diameter, so the sealing surface can leak, and the PE01-14-302A does not have an anti-drain back valve either, which isn't needed in the SA engines and can impede oil flow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A larger filter has more capacity, and the filter media has more surface area. It probably makes little difference though as long as the part is correct for the application.
In this case, you should be using the K3804, or Mazda part PE01-14-302A. The K4238 might be just a tiny bit smaller in diameter, so the sealing surface can leak, and the PE01-14-302A does not have an anti-drain back valve either, which isn't needed in the SA engines and can impede oil flow.
Now this is the kind of helpful information I was looking for. Thank you @arathol. 👍

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
There are a bunch of part numbers for that oil filter, depends on who made it for Mazda.
PE01-14-302A is the part number for the original OEM filters that were made byTokyo-roki in Japan.
1WPE-14-302 is a more current number that has superceded it, its made by some company in Thailand. These appear to be the ones marked K4238 that can be a different size than the K3804.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the additional info @arathol. I think the thing that concerns me the most is that the oil filter installed on my sons' car (PE01-14-302A) requires a 74mm diameter filter wrench, whereas the new oil filter (1WPE-14-302) is only 65mm. That seems like a pretty significant difference, but perhaps the rubber gasket is the same diameter. I wonder if the crush washer is different too?

Is there any reason I shouldn't get the old-style filter (PE01-14-302A)? I would think that a Japanese-made product would be of better quality as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
I would at least take a look at it and make sure it isn't leaking. Check to see if the filter thats on there looks like its a smaller diameter where it seats on the housing. By some accounts those can be a couple mm smaller.
There isn't any reason I can think of not to get the correct filter size.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found out that the newer 1WPE-14-302 is made by a Japanese company called Denso, which makes filters for Toyota and is considered to be a high-quality manufacturer. Here's a video on a Denso filter that shows the quality of a Toyota filter, which I'm assuming is similar to Mazda.

The upside is if I start using the smaller diameter Denso-made Mazda filter I can use my Honda oil cap wrench. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the PE01-14-302A does not have an anti-drain back valve either, which isn't needed in the SA engines and can impede oil flow.
If the SA engine doesn't need an ADBV, I wonder why Mazda engineers added it to the new oil filter design?

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
I doubt the Mazda engineers actually designed the filters. The filters are made to fit a variety of cars. Making an oil filter specifically for each make and model car ever produced would be prohibitively costly. So, instead of making yet another design, you use a standard existing filter size that meets the filtering requirements. The OEM filter doesn't have the ADBV because that was factory spec, However, that doesn't mean the replacement part from another filter maker won't have it....probably won't hurt as long as the oil flows properly. If you look around you should be able to find an equivalent filter without the valve.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would suspect that an oil filter mounted on the underside of an engine is not going to drain oil upwards out of the filter when the engine is not running. On a top mounted oil filter (like many Subaru engines now have) an anti-drain back valve would have to be present or the engine would always experience a bit of oil starvation on start up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello everyone. This is just a followup to my original post. I changed the factory-installed oil filter (PE01-14-302A) with the smaller one the dealer specified (1WPE-14-302) and it was a perfect fit. No leaks so far and everything seems to be okay. Plus, I noticed that the new filter has larger holes, which may improve oil flow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lately I have been using the K&N performance gold on my 2012 . Switch for 2 reason Its a High Flow membrane (more membrane than other filters) and better filtration membrane... older engine high mileage i wanna catch all those loose bits... I also added a magnetic oil drain plug (Mishimoto) so it catches what it misses...Maybe its overkill...lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the additional info @arathol. I think the thing that concerns me the most is that the oil filter installed on my sons' car (PE01-14-302A) requires a 74mm diameter filter wrench, whereas the new oil filter (1WPE-14-302) is only 65mm. That seems like a pretty significant difference, but perhaps the rubber gasket is the same diameter. I wonder if the crush washer is different too?

Is there any reason I shouldn't get the old-style filter (PE01-14-302A)? I would think that a Japanese-made product would be of better quality as well.
The OEM Tokyo Roki filter that was on my 2017 Skyactiv-G 2.5 (Mazda6) was part no. PE01-14-302 (don't recall A or B) and it was 14 flute 66mm (cup socket size). Others have found this too. Wonder how yours was 74mm?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts