2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The current Mazda 3 has a good ground clearance for this class of car which I need to cope with entering my steep driveway.There is an unfortunate trend in new car design in reducing ground clearance and I wonder whether the new car will cope with my driveway.

Does anyone know the ground clearance and wheelbase of the new Mazda 3 so I can work out the breakover over angle to judge whether the new model can handle a steep change in gradient?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found my answer on Mazda's Canadian site. The new model has a longer wheelbase but also slightly better ground clearance and breakover angle. Well done to Mazda for not following the herd and producing a ground hugging car. I hope the UK spec is the same or better

Mazda 3 2014-18
Wheelbase 2700mm
Ground clearance 155mm
Breakover angle 13.10 degs

Mazda 3 2019
Wheelbase 2725mm
Ground clearance 158mm
Breakover angle 13.23 degs

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
3mm and .13°....Anyone with an older model can do better just installing slightly taller tires......:dunno:
Not enough of a difference to say so in any event.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3mm and .13°....Anyone with an older model can do better just installing slightly taller tires......:dunno:
Not enough of a difference to say so in any event.
Basically no change but at least they haven't significantly reduced the ground clearance as Honda did with the new Civic. We can't mess about with tyres in the UK else the car becomes non-standard and the insurance costs shoot up if you can get insurance.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
The current Mazda 3 has a good ground clearance for this class of car which I need to cope with entering my steep driveway.There is an unfortunate trend in new car design in reducing ground clearance and I wonder whether the new car will cope with my driveway.

Does anyone know the ground clearance and wheelbase of the new Mazda 3 so I can work out the breakover over angle to judge whether the new model can handle a steep change in gradient?
Sounds like my driveway... My front car skirt (stock height) just skims getting out from the garage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts