2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wow, We Seem 2 Have Some Real Haters On The 2019 M3. - - - 2 Funny.
I Just Bought One 2day. - - - I Couldn't B More Impressed By What Mazda Has Put Into The Gen4 Cars.
Congrats! Not sure haters...but more cautious interested parties. We look to you crazy innovators to lead the way on disproving our concerns. I look forward to hearing more about your positive experiences. Unfortunately, Mazda created all of that uncertainty of their own doing being a tad late to the party on multiple counts and failing on both expressed and implied expectations and support.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The FWD will still be quicker than the AWD, with the same HP. Unless the conditions are in snow/rain.
Well sorta. Once up to speed.
Car and driver reports CX5 turbo awd gets to 60 faster than 400lb lighter Mazda 6 turbo. Bags of torque no good without traction.

Even with my low powered non-turbo cx5, the awd version is often reported to be quicker to 60 though 150 lbs heavier.

Of course at some point above 60, the lighter 2wd is gonna whiz by.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
2019 Mazda 3 Skyactiv X (experimental?) delayed launch in N/A till end of the year?

·
Registered
226 Posts
2019 Mazda 3 Skyactiv X (experimental?) delayed launch in N/A till end of the year?
N/A is getting a different implementation of SkyActiv-X than what Europe is receiving. Ours will come next year with a greater focus on performance over fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
480 Posts
N/A is getting a different implementation of SkyActiv-X than what Europe is receiving. Ours will come next year with a greater focus on performance over fuel efficiency.
Makes sense. Who wants to pay more (how much?) for the an extra 6 or 7 mpg and still not be faster than the 2.5? Gas is cheap here.
In Europe, the x can be the high performance motor because they do not get the 2.5

Maybe they will put a more serious supercharger on it for us. (North America).

May I ask where you got your info?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
Makes sense. Who wants to pay more (how much?) for the an extra 6 or 7 mpg and still not be faster than the 2.5? Gas is cheap here.
In Europe, the x can be the high performance motor because they do not get the 2.5

Local dealer...

·
Registered
480 Posts
CX 30 is to arrive late this year with an x engine. Wonder what output it will have? It would seem that if they think we need power over here to make it attractive at a higher price, maybe the same will apply to Cx 30.
There maybe an interim time period where the 30 is faster than the 3 dispite a weight penalty.

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
But it is already equipped with a small supercharger. I'm just sayin make it bigger.
No, it isn't. It has a pump that provides air pressure to initiate the combustion process and to keep the plenum pressurized so when making a rapid transition from closed to full open throttle there is less lag. It only happens to look like a supercharger. No forced induction going on there.

·
Registered
480 Posts
No, it isn't. It has a pump that provides air pressure to initiate the combustion process and to keep the plenum pressurized so when making a rapid transition from closed to full open throttle there is less lag. It only happens to look like a supercharger. No forced induction going on there.
FROM ROAD AND TRACK

{Mazda isn't opposed to forced induction entirely. Skyactiv-X uses a SUPERCHARGER though it's not there to increase power. In fact, Mazda calls it a "lean supercharger."

"We avoid the term 'supercharger,' because people think 2.0-liter supercharger, and they have a certain power output expectation," Chen said. "In order to achieve compression-ignition, we're using air-fuel ratios of up to 50:1, so we need to shove more air in. So, the SUPERCHARGER is actually physically putting more air and EGR back into the cylinder, plus the same amount of gas."

Yamane explains: "Its purpose is to appropriate air into the intake, and therefore, it's not so big." He explains that engines with big superchargers often aren't very fuel efficient. "This additional air supply makes close to the ideal combustion condition."}

A crank driven "Pump" designed to increase induction pressures is a supercharger, even if not employed in a conventional manner for a conventional purpose.

However I'll concede your larger point that increasing the size and changing the purpose of the supercharger is likely not compatible with rest the of the technology used here.

·
Registered
226 Posts

This came from a recent interview with Mazda Japan where they mentioned that while the SkyActiv-X was tuned for better fuel economy in Europe, they are looking at focusing more on performance with the SkyActiv-X for some other markets (I cannot find the link right now). If they were to do a 2.5L SkyActiv-X then we could see a nice bump in performance from the existing 2.5L.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This came from a recent interview with Mazda Japan where they mentioned that while the SkyActiv-X was tuned for better fuel economy in Europe, they are looking at focusing more on performance with the SkyActiv-X for some other markets (I cannot find the link right now). If they were to do a 2.5L SkyActiv-X then we could see a nice bump in performance from the existing 2.5L.
I think that's right. If they want to spread this tech to their heavier models or provide more optional power for their lighter models then a 2.5 seems logical.

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
A crank driven "Pump" designed to increase induction pressures is a supercharger, even if not employed in a conventional manner for a conventional purpose.
The problem is it does't increase induction pressure at all.
At low throttle conditions, the intake plenum has negative pressure, ie vacuum. When you open the throttle plate fully from a closed or near closed position there is not enough air in the plenum to get a proper air/fuel mix for a brief moment. Until sufficient air is draw in, there is throttle lag. The air pump on the SA-X motor provides air to prevent this, but only at ambient pressure, no more. It does not increase induction pressure above what would be expected for a normally aspirated engine.
The second function of this pump is to promote the combustion cycle by introducing a small swirl of air at the right time to create a lean condition in the combustion chamber, which sets off the rest of the combustion cycle.
So, no, its not a supercharger by any means or definition, and chances are never will be with some redesign of the motor.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The problem is it does't increase induction pressure at all.
At low throttle conditions, the intake plenum has negative pressure, ie vacuum. When you open the throttle plate fully from a closed or near closed position there is not enough air in the plenum to get a proper air/fuel mix for a brief moment. Until sufficient air is draw in, there is throttle lag. The air pump on the SA-X motor provides air to prevent this, but only at ambient pressure, no more. It does not increase induction pressure above what would be expected for a normally aspirated engine.
The second function of this pump is to promote the combustion cycle by introducing a small swirl of air at the right time to create a lean condition in the combustion chamber, which sets off the rest of the combustion cycle.
So, no, its not a supercharger by any means or definition, and chances are never will be with some redesign of the motor.
Its been interesting. I'm at the end of my meager persuasive power. Let's let your last post conclude it.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
Anyone that watched the video for the Skyactiv X engine.... Mazda is shipping them to markets with high gas prices. NA gas prices are considered cheap.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I think the looks and the interior will be a huge selling point for the 2019. I also think that people know Mazdas are reliable and fun to drive cars.

With the refined audio and tech, it's still a nice package.

The members on this forum represent a niche of the market segment they are going after. We are the ones that pay attention to things like torsion beams and added weight and 0-60 numbers.

The usual person I talk to about my car cares nothing about all of the upgrades I put in it...they just say it has a mean stance and nice lines. They ask if it's fun to drive, which it is.

That's the market segment they want to sell to and I think it will work. They can refine the Gen 4 to meet niche markets with special edition releases in a year or two, after they get some real world reviews and sales figures.

So... in general. Be patient. Let Mazda do it's thing. They always have a way of surprising people and I'm curious to see what they come up with.
CK

41 - 60 of 63 Posts