2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
LOL. Man fawq IIHS and their bogus review. They’re at a point that they will fail anything that doesn’t have laser lights with auto everything where they move with your steering wheel, auto leveling, etc.

My 2014 iSport has 55W 4500K El Cheapo HIDs from China in the projectors & 3000k 55W HIDs in the fogs. They shine better then my parents new, top of the line Acura RDX and their precious Lexus.

Upgrade the stock halogen bulbs and it’s all you’ll ever need to see as far as the eye can see and be safe at night.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
869 Posts
IIHS rates the 2018 headlights and previous models as acceptable at best.

Could someone with a 2019 give me their subjective review of the 2019 headlight output?

Better than the 2018 or previous?

I realize there may be LED and halogen, so please specify.

Thanks.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/3-4-door-sedan
The 2018 Mazda 3 GT is the only version with LED and will have a better light output ---> Driving lights.
And the 2017 GT too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We just bought a hatch premium model and the led’s with the swiveling feature and the auto high beams are fantastic. Best headlights in a car that we have ever owned. Test drive one at night, you will be pleased!
I was hoping that was the case. I get frustrated seeing all these crappy halogens that come out year after year.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Agree, I'm quite pleased with the LED adaptive headlights in my 2017 GT hatch. Don't know what possible upgrades/changes they made from 2017/2018 model years.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Agree, I'm quite pleased with the LED adaptive headlights in my 2017 GT hatch. Don't know what possible upgrades/changes they made from 2017/2018 model years.
You're not going to miss SCB, it's things that you always see in horror movies ---> pressing the gas pedal and no movement.>:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please see this video to appreciate the 2020 Mazda 3 new headlight system.
Upon startup, you can actually see the lights adjusting up and down to achieve its level stance, and the light turns with the steering wheel movement. The "dip" from high beam is instantaneous, and the light temperature and coverage is best I had ever experienced.
I was told these headlights will cost ~US$3,000 in Canada, per piece, if damaged.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do us North Americans even have the same LED headlights? I don't recall having "ALH". Current US laws hamper the most advanced lighting systems to reach our shores. Of course, Canada follows suit which is lame.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do us North Americans even have the same LED headlights? I don't recall having "ALH". Current US laws hamper the most advanced lighting systems to reach our shores. Of course, Canada follows suit which is lame.
Yes, US M3s (at least the upper trim levels) get active LEDs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
LOL. Man fawq IIHS and their bogus review. They’re at a point that they will fail anything that doesn’t have laser lights with auto everything where they move with your steering wheel, auto leveling, etc.

My 2014 iSport has 55W 4500K El Cheapo HIDs from China in the projectors & 3000k 55W HIDs in the fogs. They shine better then my parents new, top of the line Acura RDX and their precious Lexus.

Upgrade the stock halogen bulbs and it’s all you’ll ever need to see as far as the eye can see and be safe at night.
2019+ Mazda 3's (US) all have LED lights, not halogen, though the Premium trim also has adaptive front headlamps (these are not the 'active' type that some countries get, those are currently not legal in the United States, they are adaptive, meaning they pivot into turns).

IIHS tests headlights for specific factors (and they post their data), mainly how far they reach in various directions and around curves and also they test the glare, if the headlights do not reach far enough, they do not get a good rating, if they produce too much glare, same thing.

The 2019 Mazda 3's sold in the US all get an Acceptable rating. The Premium trim tested somewhat better, but both pass, and neither the Premium nor the other trims get a Good (top) rating because the low beam does not reach far enough (even with the Premium trim), though both pass the glare test.

In comparison, a comparable 2019 Honda Civic with either halogen or in the top trim with LED headlamps gets a Poor rating from IIHS. They tell you why, and show their testing results.

This means a base Mazda 3 has superior headlamps than any trim of the Civic with which it competes. Searching IIHS will show that the Mazda 3 headlamps, although they are not rated Good (the top rating), are still better than most of the competition.

Now for what you already know, but could give two shits about. Your 2014 ISport, with HID inserts may have brilliant amounts of light, but using HID bulbs in halogen reflectors means your aftermarket solution is illegal in every US state.

At the very least, be interested enough in the safety of other drivers to do a proper retrofit with HID or LED projectors which will focus and provide the cut off required to keep the HID light output from blinding other drivers.

Not that this would be legal -- modifying your light source is not legal and OEM set ups usually also provide a type of leveling device to keep the cut off in the correct place -- but it is closer to what OEM HID headlamps provide.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
Now for what you already know, but could give two shits about. Your 2014 ISport, with HID inserts may have brilliant amounts of light, but using HID bulbs in halogen reflectors means your aftermarket solution is illegal in every US state.

At the very least, be interested enough in the safety of other drivers to do a proper retrofit with HID or LED projectors which will focus and provide the cut off required to keep the HID light output from blinding other drivers.

Not that this would be legal -- modifying your light source is not legal and OEM set ups usually also provide a type of leveling device to keep the cut off in the correct place -- but it is closer to what OEM HID headlamps provide.
Where do you get this stuff from? Stop reading old headlight forum posts and move into the 21st century...geeez....Current technology allows you to use HIDs or LEDs in OEM reflector boxes as well as projectors with no issues. Light output is no different than with OEM bulbs only brighter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Where do you get this stuff from? Stop reading old headlight forum posts and move into the 21st century...geeez....Current technology allows you to use HIDs or LEDs in OEM reflector boxes as well as projectors with no issues. Light output is no different than with OEM bulbs only brighter.
You forgot to say it is legal, might as well be 100% wrong about it.

PS squirrel finders, OEM HID and LED projectors don’t have them for a reason.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
You forgot to say it is legal, might as well be 100% wrong about it.

PS squirrel finders, OEM HID and LED projectors don’t have them for a reason.
Care to explain your reasoning? Light bulbs are light bulbs as long as they are designed correctly. I know how things work, do you or are you just quoting Wikipedia?
WTF is a squirrel finder? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Google it, my ‘ancient’ 2015 WRX with halogen projectors had them, also different light sources require different projector designs to focus their light output, it’s all sciency, it would probably bore you that there are engineers involved in designing those types of things.

Probably best not going full bore asserting about things you haven’t researched much, I did a full HID projector retrofit (D2S projectors) into the WRX so I did my homework way back in 2016.

BTW HID’s in reflector type headlamps are outrageously wrong and dangerous to other drivers, putting them into halogen projectors is just mostly wrong, but both are illegal mods for a reason.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
Google it, my ‘ancient’ 2015 WRX with halogen projectors had them, also different light sources require different projector designs to focus their light output, it’s all sciency, it would probably bore you that their are engineers involved in designing those types of things.

Probably best not going full bore asserting about things you haven’t researched much, I did a full HID projector retrofit (D2S projectors) into the WRX so I did my homework way back in 2016.

Btw HID’s in reflector type headlamps are outrageously wrong and dangerous to other drivers, putting them into halogen projectors is just mostly wrong, but both are illegal mods for a reason.

Wow. just...... wow...........I take it you have never done any real research into this then.......
If you did you would know that what you just posted is absolutely incorrect in the real world....

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
If you have never installed properly designed aftermarket bulbs in a halogen light box -reflector or projector- you don't really know what you are talking about.....With whats available today you don't need to cut up your OEM light box to do an HID refit. LEDs are where its at anyway. HIDs just don't cut it anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts