2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2019 GS hatch with luxury pack and it's been nothing but problems.

1. Driver side seat belt clip is on backwards so now every time I wear it, it's twisted.
2. About 2 weeks after, the airbag malfunction light came on, it would go off when I restart the car.
3. The driver side door seal keep getting caught on the real door seal. Every time I open the door, it would rub hard against the rear.
4. The dashboard has some nasty rattles. Some comes from the center screen, a lot comes from the passenger side airbag area.

I know this is the first model year and was prepared to deal with some minor problems, but this is just too much. The previous Mazdas I've owned (14 CX-5, 3gen 3) have never had those quality issues upon delivery.

New buyers be sure to prepare to deal with some initial quality issues.

Having the car looked at this Saturday and we'll see if they can resolve some of them.

UPDATE:
The car has been held hostage at the Mazda dealer for a bit now. They are trying to address the issues one by one.
1. The seat belt has been replaced with a brand new one.
2. The airbag issue has not been resolved. Apparently there has been only 1 type of airbag error code found in NA, my car is the very first car that gave the 2nd type of error code, so the dealer is trying to communicate with the headquarters to figure out what's going on. Just in case you have the airbag malfunction warning light on, your problem maybe be resolved if it gave out the 1st type of warning code.
3. The door seal issue is reoccurring after fix, they might need to replace the whole upper seal.
4. Rattling is unresolved, communicating with Mazda regarding the source of rattling.

If you're thinking about purchasing the 19 model, you might wanna wait just a little bit until us beta testers iron everything out :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got a 2018 and the (passenger airbag off) light seems to be on permanently now. I don't think it's supposed to do that.

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
I just got a 2018 and the (passenger airbag off) light seems to be on permanently now. I don't think it's supposed to do that.
RTFM
The passenger air bag is always off. There are weight sensors in the seat that turn it on only if the seat occupant exceeds a certain weight. This is prevent persons of small stature or children from being injured by a deploying airbag.
See your owners manual, its all in there......SEC 2-56...:nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
RTFM
The passenger air bag is always off. There are weight sensors in the seat that turn it on only if the seat occupant exceeds a certain weight. This is prevent persons of small stature or children from being injured by a deploying airbag.
See your owners manual, its all in there......SEC 2-56...:nerd:
since we're on passenger air bag, I know some region their trim level includes a "switch" to disable front passenger airbag. Unfortunately the trim available on my end does not have the toggle at the glovebox area. is there anyway I can do something to it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The airbag malfunction light looks like this. My dealer says since the car is so new, they have to communicate with Mazda Canada. The fix won't be quick. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 GS hatch with luxury pack and it's been nothing but problems.

1. Driver side seat belt clip is on backwards so now every time I wear it, it's twisted.
2. About 2 weeks after, the airbag malfunction light came on, it would go off when I restart the car.
3. The driver side door seal keep getting caught on the real door seal. Every time I open the door, it would rub hard against the rear.
4. The dashboard has some nasty rattles. Some comes from the centre screen, a lot comes from the passenger side airbag area.

I know this is the first model year and was prepared to deal with some minor problems, but this is just too much. The previous Mazdas I've owned (14 CX-5, 3gen 3) have never had those quality issues upon delivery.

New buyers be sure to prepare to deal with some initial quality issues.

Having the car looked at this Saturday and we'll see if they can resolve some of them.
Has the dealership fixed the seat belt clip, driver side door seal and the dashboard rattle?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am a little concerned about my 2019 premium model since it was built mainly in Mexico, 20% in Japan, 5% in Canada, but thus far I have no issues reported by the OP. As far as the seatbelt clip being an issue, that could have been spotted/avoided during the initial test drive in my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am a little concerned about my 2019 premium model since it was built mainly in Mexico, 20% in Japan, 5% in Canada, but thus far I have no issues reported by the OP. As far as the seatbelt clip being an issue, that could have been spotted/avoided during the initial test drive in my opinion.
I would not worry about it being made in Mexico. My 2016 made in Mexico has proven to have less issues than my previous 2012 Japan made.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have gotten the airbag light on as well 2 times over 3 weeks but turning car off and on it went away...for me it came both times when i turned car on and was idling for a few mins so not sure why that happened

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is what happens when a brand tries to be something they are not. Im not bashing Mazda for trying to be more premium cause Mazda has always been my favourite brand and Im currently driving my third 3, but they were able to nail the premium look with the interior but doesn't mean its going to be a flawless car. They have long ways to go before they become an actual premium brand.

·
Dances With Corners
57 Posts
This is what happens when a brand tries to be something they are not. Im not bashing Mazda for trying to be more premium cause Mazda has always been my favourite brand and Im currently driving my third 3, but they were able to nail the premium look with the interior but doesn't mean its going to be a flawless car. They have long ways to go before they become an actual premium brand.
It's an all-new model, teething problems are to be expected. This is why I avoid buying the first model year of anything.

As for premium quality, Mazda can deliver, but the question is how much people will be willing to pay for a car with a Mazda badge. This has been a problem for Mazda for a long time, this isn't the first time they've tried to go up-scale.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,250 Posts
My Mexican built 3 rocks!

Thanks border pals. Trumps an a-hole for all this inflammatory BS he's spreading btw. Most Americans don't feel that way..just so you know. People are people..for the most part..
CK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey man, go get yours checked out. They might be able to fix yours right away if your car gives out the known warning code. My car has a brand new warning code that they're still trying to figure out so if yours give out the same thing, you might have to wait a while.

·
Registered
95 Posts

UPDATE:

2. The airbag issue has not been resolved. Apparently there has been only 1 type of airbag error code found in NA, my car is the very first car that gave the 2nd type of error code, so the dealer is trying to communicate with the headquarters to figure out what's going on. Just in case you have the airbag malfunction warning light on, your problem maybe be resolved if it gave out the 1st type of warning code.

My airbag warning light came on as well right at the two weeks of ownership than did not com on again after the next restart.

I don’t understand your update on the airbag malfunction warning light when you said problem may be resolved if they gave out the first type a warning code. What does that mean? My car did not show a error code but I believe you mean an error code the service rep sees on a computer, correct ?

Edit.....

Came on again hours later. Called dealership and have an appointment tomorrow morning. Don’t expect much if it’s something brand new, but I’ll keep everybody informed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK, just got back from the dealer with a loaner car. They told me that they don’t have any parts for the airbag warning system and that it was a safety issue, and they will have to contact Mazda in Japan and hope they can send one out within a week or two or three. This is a brand new car and the parts from a 2018 model will not fit or work on the 2019.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts