2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my cover sits/rests higher than the panel toward the rear edge. Not a fan of the push button mechanism to begin with, but can this be adjusted to have it sit more flush with the c-pillar panel?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them deal with it. It's supposed to sit flush with the fender/side panel.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I took mine into the dealership yesterday, they measured the "concaveness" of the cover with a micron-meter, the amount (on the rear) it is sticking out of, pictures taken etc.. And filed a formal service request with Mazda Canada. In short, they operned up a fresh case for me.
Of course, they had "never seen something like this" and that "You are the first case".... blah, blah, blah.
They also confirmed that it will be weeks before they will hear back from Mazda Canada since this is not an urgent issue.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Called the dealer yesterday and was informed that they received instructions from Mazda Canada to "install" some kind of shim under the metal cover to restore the convex-ness of the cover. I am awaiting the auto-braking software update to arrive and will get both items done at the same time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Called the dealer yesterday and was informed that they received instructions from Mazda Canada to "install" some kind of shim under the metal cover to restore the convex-ness of the cover. I am awaiting the auto-braking software update to arrive and will get both items done at the same time.
My dealer is ordering a whole new plastic assembly and is going to swap the metal cover to see if it improves things. Also waiting on the SBS update. Was told mid January for that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Update. Dealer replaced the whole plastic assembly and cover. All good now
My dealer is replacing the plastic assembly only first because they say they won't be able to paint match the cover to be exact.
Will update when I get it back

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer is replacing the plastic assembly only first because they say they won't be able to paint match the cover to be exact.
Will update when I get it back
What color? Mine is the snowflake white pearl mica and AFAIK no painting was involved.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So they've isolated and acknowledged the gas cap deforming is an issue because its made of plastic. For now they took the plastic cover off another car and attached it to mine, its not perfect but its better than others I've seen.

They said mazda will hopefully create a updated part and TSB/Recall when the part is available and to just be on a lookout for that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same problem here. You guys must have good dealers for them to try to resolve this problem. I'm taking the car to my dealer next week for several items and I expect them to tell me the gas cap is normal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same problem here. You guys must have good dealers for them to try to resolve this problem. I'm taking the car to my dealer next week for several items and I expect them to tell me the gas cap is normal.
Honestly is a failed design on Mazda's part, it's already lifting from the bottom:/
I'm gonna try to Jimmy a metal plate or something behind the cap to reinforce it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Much to my surprise my dealer was able to adjust the cap so it's flush again. The service advisor said the black cap was not fastened securely on all the tabs of the plastic bracket. Looks great now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts