2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask a pedantic question, but I recently noticed my front driver side wheel-to-well clearance was slightly narrower than the other side (maybe 1/4"). This leaves me the impression that my front driver corner is a little lower than the others. Is this normal? I have service soon, but I wanted to first understand if my concern was valid. Everything is stock, no modifications.

Please remove thread if this is stupid.

·
Super Moderator
4,444 Posts
When you measured were all 4 wheels on a flat level surface? That can make a difference.
Did you measure all 4 corners, and is the diagonally opposite corner a bit high?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Just wondering here.. can you check your tire pressure for us? All the same?
CK

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for late reply. I tried measuring accurately on a flat surface (maybe mid 60s temperature). Front driver side slightly lower than front passenger. But Rear driver side slightly higher than rear passenger.

I just received a tire pressure warning on my dash. All wheels are reporting low pressure-- front passenger one psi less than front driver, but rear passenger one psi more than rear driver.

Consistent? Not sure if roads are slanted much, but i do notice myself correcting my steering just a little to the left (counterclockwise) just slightly. Does this makes sense?

Also, the weird thing is height from ground to topmost wheel well for front wheels is approx 1 inch shorter than the back wheels. Is everyone else like this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I ask a really quick question? I didn't want to draw up a brand new thread for it, since my question is somewhat related to wheels & suspension already. I've been thinking about this a lot and could use another voice to steer me in the direction

For 2019/2020 owners, do you experience some subtle pull to the right (right side driver) on the road when steering wheel is straight? I understand things like road crown & stock tires can come into play here, but I just had my tires reinflated and I've been checking to see if the pulling to the right was from my imagination.

My understanding is wheel alignment from factory.. isn't compensated for road crown? So I'm thinking even the slightest slant in the road might cause a drift. I've driven on the opposite road crown to check, but it feels like I don't have to compensate as much. I don't want to be in my head about this but the effect is subtle yet bothersome. Don't mean to sound whiny-- but wondering if it is valid to request an alignment check for peace of mind from dealer or I'm deep in the weeds

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can I ask a really quick question? I didn't want to draw up a brand new thread for it, since my question is somewhat related to wheels & suspension already. I've been thinking about this a lot and could use another voice to steer me in the direction

For 2019/2020 owners, do you experience some subtle pull to the right (right side driver) on the road when steering wheel is straight? I understand things like road crown & stock tires can come into play here, but I just had my tires reinflated and I've been checking to see if the pulling to the right was from my imagination.

My understanding is wheel alignment from factory.. isn't compensated for road crown? So I'm thinking even the slightest slant in the road might cause a drift. I've driven on the opposite road crown to check, but it feels like I don't have to compensate as much. I don't want to be in my head about this but the effect is subtle yet bothersome. Don't mean to sound whiny-- but wondering if it is valid to request an alignment check for peace of mind from dealer or I'm deep in the weeds
I think it's completely reasonable to ask the dealer to check the alignment. When I bought my last car (a Jaguar), the steering rack was slightly off center from the factory, making it seem as if the car was out of alignment. The dealer checked and fixed it.

That being said, depending on your car's mileage, if it is out of alignment, the dealer might say that it was wear and tear that caused the misalignment and try to stick you with the bill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 to having them at least check it if you're sure there's a pull to either side. Most of them time yes, it is the road you're on so try it on a couple different roads but don't let them dissuade you from having it checked out if you're certain. The single person who knows how your car acts is the person who drives it all day every day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1 to having them at least check it if you're sure there's a pull to either side. Most of them time yes, it is the road you're on so try it on a couple different roads but don't let them dissuade you from having it checked out if you're certain. The single person who knows how your car acts is the person who drives it all day every day.
Thank you @Anathema and @cllpm4u

1 - 13 of 13 Posts