2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on the forum - been looking at getting a Mazda3 for a while. Don't know if I'll ever do it (the 2019 Miata is also calling me), but I stopped by a dealer on 3/6 and they had a brand new just-delivered '19 dark blue/ red interior that I got to sit in briefly. I thought the interior layout was fantastic, but I don't care for the purply-burgundy interior leather color. Personal preference.

I was worried about those massive rear pillars, so I spent a few minutes in the parking lot adjusting mirrors to see what I ended up with. With properly set side mirrors, I had visibility 360° around the vehicle - barely. From the side window, if I glanced over my left shoulder and saw where the last bumper disappeared into the C pillar, I could get the drivers side mirror to pick up that same bumper, and continue around to where the rear window took over. Same with the passenger side. I'm confident that if you know how to adjust mirrors, you won't lose a motorcycle in a blind spot. If you added a convex spot mirror or two to the side mirrors, you'd definitely be good to go. But you will rely on mirrors. You won't be able to visually clear your blind spots by looking over your shoulder.

If you have any other questions about interior layout, I tried to give it a good once-over. I can only answer questions about the interior - didn't have time to go for a test drive. I also have some photos - I'll try and get them uploaded on here once I figure out the forum system.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Blind spot detection option makes it a lot easier. The steady light indicator on the steering HUD/side mirror is something in blind spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driver's view. I do like the symmetry and cockpit feel here.

I really like the new screen placement. It seems so much nicer than the current location. One of the few things that really bugs me about the current Miata.

Head's up display is crisp and clean. Not infinite distance, but easily readable and unobtrusive.

Ok, this was pretty cool. The center speedometer, along with the MPG and remaining miles, are virtual gauges. If you look closely, you can see the edges of the rectangular screen they're displayed on. The tach, temp, and fuel level are physical gauges. Mazda got them to look so similar, you don't notice until you're really looking at it. They even went so far as to put a physical chrome ring on the digital screen so the speedometer matches it's fellow gauges. Classy.

Brushed aluminum accent over the door speaker. Classy...

The sunroof exists, but it's a little small, and it's sure is pushed back some. That's probably helpful to keep the sun out of your eyes, but limits the front seats' ability to get a view of the sky.

Rear seats up. I'm 5'-9", and with the drivers seat set to be comfortable and generous for me, my knees were brushing a little in the back. With the passenger seat set more or less where my wife would put it, I had an inch or two for my knees. I'm guessing my kids would fit back there, but probably end up kicking the seats some.

And the seats down. The salesman said Mazda had some guys driving around the country to show off the car, and there was enough room in the back that they just slept there some nights.

Trunk seems on par with the outgoing 2018 model, but I didn't do any testing.

Sorry I didn't get better exterior photos. It really does look better in person than in the photos and renderings online.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted up a bunch of photos - but I'm super new so that post is waiting for a forum moderator to approve.

·
Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
Whats with the mismatched interior? That purple pleather doesn't go well at all with the blue exterior. It looks like the interior was put together from a parts bin, and doesn't seem complete. Where are the rear head rests?

·
Rubber side down
257 Posts
The interior looks extremely busy. Too many lines everywhere. Parting lines between panels / materials, different finishes of the different materials. It is almost like they tried to use everything that was good from other cars' interiors and ended up making a mess of it. It could have been so much better. Guess you can't win 'em all.

Thanks for posting those images! ;)

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Also, the infotainment screen is positioned too far away, which sunlight will glare out the images.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I posted up a bunch of photos - but I'm super new so that post is waiting for a forum moderator to approve.
Thanks for the photos. Is the head up display projected onto a pop-up perspex panel as present or projected onto the windscreen? Did you drive the car and can confirm whether the road / tyre noise on rough surfaces is significantly reduced?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks for the pics and your comments. From what I understand the two tone red/black is only an option in the hatch and not sedan. For me I would stick to the all black...it's like the two tone white/black....there's a wow factor when I first saw it, but then glad I stuck to the black leather with dark brown inserts.

One random/complaint concern I've seen in a couple of reviews about the 2019, is the drop down distance in the rear hatch...it's not as flush as in gen 3, which now forces people to lift their stuff out of the rear.

Let's face it, unless you're still driving a 1/2 ton pickup, we have been losing visibility in all cars since the 90's, with all the new regs regarding more metal/higher doors and less glass along with swooping/drop down aerodynamics...Living in the city, I notice I have to be extra cautious with pedestrians when making turns, as they can easily get hidden behind the front windshield pillars. Driving a hatch vs. sedan in regards to side view is closer to driving a two door with limited rear glass...so the side view alert system is an absolute must.

In a couple other critical 2019 reviews, there was mention of even less side and front view for rear passengers in the hatch, but I guess that's a relative consideration to who and how many passengers, how often you have back there. My only rear passengers in 20K miles are 2 dogs stuffed in their baskets.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
When Mazda design cars for their "looks" over a "WOW!" in performance. The "sports" trim doesn't accent the performance, but piano black in the previous model, which gave a higher end look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whats with the mismatched interior? That purple pleather doesn't go well at all with the blue exterior. It looks like the interior was put together from a parts bin, and doesn't seem complete. Where are the rear head rests?
Rear headrests were in the rear passenger floorboards. Sales guy took them off to show me the seats folding down. They do exist. I feel the same way about the color.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the photos. Is the head up display projected onto a pop-up perspex panel as present or projected onto the windscreen? Did you drive the car and can confirm whether the road / tyre noise on rough surfaces is significantly reduced?
HUD is reflected straight off the windshield in the 2019. I did not drive the car, so I can't confirm noise levels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Let's face it, unless you're still driving a 1/2 ton pickup, we have been losing visibility in all cars since the 90's...
Funny you should say that... my daily driver for the past 17 years... GREAT visibility. It's hard to adjust to passenger car visibility sometimes. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't prefer a Miata RF to the drop top.

In a couple other critical 2019 reviews, there was mention of even less side and front view for rear passengers in the hatch, but I guess that's a relative consideration to who and how many passengers, how often you have back there. My only rear passengers in 20K miles are 2 dogs stuffed in their baskets.
I did notice from the backseat the car feels like it's wrapped around you. There's a window, but it's not the biggest. Carseats place the kids both higher and more forward, so I don't think it would be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
680 Posts
Love the cockpit. The deep hatch storage, not sure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Personally, I love the look of the new 2019 model. Rivals the 2014-2018 models, especially on the interior.

As per the exterior/interior mismatch - the blue mica can be paired with a black interior if the red isn't your thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
so there will be no fog lights, huh? just like what happened to the mazda 6?
They are pretty much useless anyhow unless to modify the light stalk so you can turn off the headlights and leave the fog lights on.

As per the exterior/interior mismatch - the blue mica can be paired with a black interior if the red isn't your thing.
Parchment or tan interior would look 100% better than black with that color. The purple is just hideous.

·
Registered
569 Posts
so there will be no fog lights, huh? just like what happened to the mazda 6?
I think they're pretty much done on all Mazda models and looks like a lot of manufactures are doing the same when you notice all the new tricked out head lights going on these days. I know most will say they are useless and marginal at best, particularly with the (Adaptive) auto horizontal LED leveling headlamps. I would agree mostly. I do notice a bit of additional lighting just in front of the car, particularly on dark winding roads when the headlights are turning into the curve and the fog lamps are pointing to the center. Regardless, I only use them in medium to heavy fog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts