2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I just thought I'd put this out to the community, and see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

A couple weeks ago, my daughter and I had went out to pick up dinner. Backed out of the restaurant, and left to get on the highway towards home. I notice the car is responding oddly; very sluggish. Notice that I have a few warning lights on dash (stability, engine, and TPMS). As we're at a stoplight intersection, I turn car off a moment and then back on, before light goes green. All clear upon restart, but when accelerating through the intersection, and onto highway access road, it happens again. I notice the car is revving...not shifting from 1st or 2nd gear (whichever it's in), and that the "AT" light and frontal collision warning light are also on. So like five warnings. Glide the car to the shoulder and call roadside assistance.

Got a dealer loaner while they did the warranty repair, and have had my baby back for a handful of days. All seems back to normal now.

The only info I really have is that when they tried to pull the car in for diagnostics and service, it would not go into reverse...the trans just wouldn't engage reverse gear. Thusly, my transmission was replaced under warranty. I asked the dealer service rep to please contact me if/when they get word from Mazda USA as to WTH caused this.

For reference: I bought my car new December 20, 2018; and she had just under 14,000 miles on the failure date. I'm just over 14,000 miles now.

Anyone in the community heard of anything like this? Wondering the cause.

My wife asked me if it's because I use "Sport" mode...but I only use it occasionally around town for the throttle response, and on a couple curvy roads for fun-to-drive out of the corners.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Experienced what? Getting the transmission replaced under warranty? Sure that happens with any car out there. A good car it's just more rare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZG, mainly wondering if anyone who's had something similar happen knows why the trans fails. Is it related to how we drive the car; using Sport mode; or is it truly a random, oddball blip on the map? I absolutely love my little ZOOM ZOOM, I just want to make she's alright.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that it happened while under warranty and you bought from a good company that stood behind their product.

I haven’t heard of this type of problem or an issue with sport mode. I just started using the sport mode in one spot on my daily commute (back when I left the house to work).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nothing to do with using sport mode (It's made to be used!). As the old saying goes "Shit happens." Your number was up. This is not a common occurance, but these cars are mass produced and that's why they have warranties. Time to move on and enjoy your car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
BTW, this part: I notice the car is responding oddly; very sluggish. Notice that I have a few warning lights on dash (stability, engine, and TPMS). As we're at a stoplight intersection, I turn car off a moment and then back on, before light goes green. is the drive train going into "limp home mode" which it will do for a variety of reasons when the engine computer senses a trouble code that it believes could cause a catastrophic failure. The way to clear/reset it is to do exactly what you did. Pull off the road, turn the engine off and restart it a few minutes later. Sometimes this is enough to get you home or to the dealer, sometimes not, depending on the severity of the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts