2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Posted a few nicer pics in post 35

Ok, got it finally. And it's awesome, some good take a ways though. I can remain objective to this with my love towards the Mazda3

Exterior:

So I think it's clear most people on this forum were not happy with their paint quality. Whether it's a necessary casualty of today's manufacturing process, or just a poor job on Mazda's part, the orange peel was definitely excessive. As you know, the surcharge for Soul Red Crystal is now $600 instead of $300. It's worth it in every way. The paint on this thing is as flawless as you can get from the factory. 10,000% better.

Interior:

I'm not sure I have to go into too much detail here. I drove an '18 6 GT just for the hell of it last Friday, The interior is Leatherette and nice, but didn't capture me. I'll be honest, I was set up for a little bit of disappointment. Well no sir, the Signature series is just nuts. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the suede, but man, it literally sends it over the top. Pictures and everything you've seen on the internet about this thing just cannot do it justice. I highly recommend you go sit in one at your dealership. It's like you're sitting in a different brand of car. Mazda gets a 10/10 in my book.

Engine:

Ok, so this is where all the chatter is. How about that turbocharger? Guys, I'd love to tell you it's insane, and maybe my knock sensors are still adjusting to 93 and getting set, but it's nothing crazy. You can barely get them to spin off the line, and Mazda really put some engineering into this to make sure it was a smooth ride and not brute. It's not a bad thing, but it's not what you're thinking. Truthfully, my 3 on a 93 OVT flash with a 25% Tmap adjustment was "more fun" to drive than the 6 is. This is a very tame Turbocharged engine. Don't misinterpret, it's still faster than my 3 was, but it's been very smoothly engineered, the power is nothing dramatic and it's not the brute torque you'd expect from 310 ft/lbs.

That said, I don't regret it one bit, but don't feel like you guys with a 2.5L on OVT flash/tmap are missing out on too much. Now I'm sure once OVT gets their hands on this they'll fix all that, but in a stock form guys, don't feel like you're missing out on too much. It's just not as dramatic a difference as you'd think.

Now that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good 0-60mph run and listening to that turbo wine, but I'm going to be surprised if this thing runs a mid - low 14 1/4 mile as I had expected. I'm thinking more like high 14s. But who knows, maybe the gradual onset of power is just deceptive. I've only got 40 miles on it, so none of this is baked in yet, but I wanted to give initial impressions because I know the release of this 2.5T is filled with questions.

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interior pics.

Anyone else having trouble posting more than 2 pics at a time? Same thing is going on over at the Mazda6 forum. Not sure if it's just me and my machine, or if the forum is putting new restrictions in place

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Thanks @ChazzyJ for your detailed write up. I wish there was a Mazda 6 Signature “transplant option” into our Mazda 3, but at this time, having a hatch on one of our cars is critical (and we not going to give up the other two cars we have and love).

Thank you for taking the time to give us a good feel of your new beauty. I think you might be surprised on the upside after you have gotten several thousand miles of it, both engine break-in and your feeding it nothing but 93 octane. HOPE so!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,340 Posts
Dear Mazda,

Release a hatchback version of the new 6 with a manual transmission.
Thanks!
Everyone

·
Registered
988 Posts
@Chazzy J, Congrats on your new car! Great first impressions, and I would like to ask you 3 questions:

1- Is the "signature" trim the top of the Mazda 6 3 in the USA? Are bits of Japanese wood in the interior included???

2- I noticed that there are no fog lights at all on the new 6? why is that? was it even an option?

3- What about the OEM 19" wheels you had previously bought for the 3 (Mazda M011 Aftermarket Wheels)? IMO the stock wheels of the new 6 are ok but nothing extraordinary, perhaps a bit on the boring side, putting the M011 wheels will make the car look even better :)

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,340 Posts
Interior pics.

Anyone else having trouble posting more than 2 pics at a time? Same thing is going on over at the Mazda6 forum. Not sure if it's just me and my machine, or if the forum is putting new restrictions in place
I'm not a big fan of white interiors... but damn... that looks good.
CK

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great looking ride. Too bad they are not available in Thailand. Are those 18" or 19" wheels?
Thanks mate, those are the stock 19s.

Reactions: Rdrokit

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@Chazzy J, Congrats on your new car! Great first impressions, and I would like to ask you 3 questions:

1- Is the "signature" trim the top of the Mazda 6 3 in the USA? Are bits of Japanese wood in the interior included???

2- I noticed that there are no fog lights at all on the new 6? why is that? was it even an option?

3- What about the OEM 19" wheels you had previously bought for the 3 (Mazda M011 Aftermarket Wheels)? IMO the stock wheels of the new 6 are ok but nothing extraordinary, perhaps a bit on the boring side, putting the M011 wheels will make the car look even better :)

Enjoy!!!
Thank you sir. In reference to your questions:

1) Yes, the only wood accents are a contrast transition piece between the parchment color and the black. It's on the dash and the doors. A Nice deep dark wood. Nothing too gawdy or overbearing, perfectly done on Mazda's part (I HATE wood trim -- just saying. I was very nervous, the same with suede). Amazingly surprised how Mazda hit it perfectly with this interior. Again, pictures do not do it justice -- you have to sit in it...

2) That is correct! I was surprised too. No fog lights, but I'm told they're integrated into the headlights, but the shit weather lately has not allowed me to confirm that claim -- more to come on that my friend

3) I whole heartedly agree with you. Though I will say, much like the rest of this car, pictures just oddly don't do it justice. Me, along with like 3 other people at the dealership hated the wheels, then we saw them in person and were like, "oh ok, not that bad at all. Pretty dynamic actually". I actually have those M011s, as well as some Bright Silver 2015 Mazda6 wheels. I plan on seeing how all of them look like once the new car feeling wears off haha.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grats, Chazzy bud!!!! Now, what plans have you????:)
haha. Thank you my friend. ZERO plans to do anything right now. One of the awesome things I did with the 3 was that I modified it super fast. But here I am trading it in lol. I think I want to spread out the plans/mods this time around. I'd love to keep this one for 3 or 4 years (but I mean, who the hell knows? lol). Right now, I'm just shocked this car is as beautiful as it is -- truly just something to behold -- I just want to soak up the new car feeling on this one for a while.

But rest assured, this car will be dressed up just like the 3 as time moves forward.

Reactions: minsanity

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about the infotainment?
any new features or changes? what firmware version have?
You know, I haven't had a lot of time to delve into the infotainment unit at the moment. However, I never really used the one in my 3 other than Bluetooth audio and quick send texts/phone calls. And all of that appears the same. I plan on playing around with it this weekend, right now just enjoying driving it.

So I guess with that said, I don't notice major updates/differences. But I will say the actual screen is much more crisp and color contrast is much better -- looks much more premium

More to come on this...

Reactions: acastrolee

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not a big fan of white interiors... but damn... that looks good.
CK
Too right mate. I don't mind light interiors if done correctly, but cleaning and taking care of them can be a real beast. My 2004 Lincoln LS V8 (Jaguar drivetrain) had a gorgeous light colored interior. But cleaning it felt like a weekly chore, especially if I had a new pair of jeans haha.

I went into this knowing that it'd be upkeep, the interior itself is well worth it though. Actually looking forward to cleaning it because it's so amazing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Chazzy J, I just ordered my Mazda 6 Signature. Trading in the wife's 2014 Mazda 3. Giving her my 2016 Mazda 6 i GT. I ordered the Titanium Flash Mica, which was the same color as the 3. So many more options on the new 6 compared to my 2016 6. The car is presently on the boat and estimated arrival to be mid May. Already signed all the paperwork, so when it arrives, all I have to do is swap the 3 for the 6. Good luck with your new 6 and hope you will enjoy it. Looking forward to enjoying mine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow. Wow. Wow.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not envious.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chazzy J, can you verify that you do have fog lights and do you know what controls them? I downloaded the OM and no mention of fog lights. Thanks
Negative. There are no fog lights on this car. I do believe they are integrated with the headlights, but I can't tell how. More to come on this topic...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts