2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new to the forum. I hope this kind of post is ok here.

I am in the market for a vehicle (new or used) and have spent the last week or so shopping around. Well today a Mazda dealer (2 guys up from the initial salesman, getting to this point was about 3 hours) offered a deal that I am seriously considering, but need more input.

This is in the US - L.A. Area. Its an automatic transmission, 2018 Mazda 3 Touring Sedan, 10 miles on it. $18,200 'plus taxes and fees' which he said will land me about 19,500

His justifications are - gotta get it off the lot to make room for the 2019's coming in soon. And since its new, the dealership is able to make use of corporate/manufacturer rebates and incentives. For a 3 Touring, brand new - is this a steal? I want a steal of a price. In other words - could I expect him to maybe drop the price further? Or is that beyond rock bottom for a 2018 Touring?

Thank you all for your time in reading this and hopefully chipping in.

- Lucid

·
Registered
130 Posts
Go to www.truecar.com where you can look up the selling price a specific car in your area. CAUTION... if you are financing through dealer, they can offer low selling price but gouge you with high APR. They can also try to sell you overpriced warranties, add ons, etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just paid $14500 before taxes and fees for a 2016 hatch manual, with the "high" touring trim, with 25k mi, VIN J. High because it has the popular equipment package, with the Bose setup, moonroof, and auto climate options. No power or heated seats.

I see in 2018, auto climate and the power seat are in the touring now, while Bose and moonroof are options. Why am I telling you all this? No idea, just another data point.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
It's not a steal. It's average. Use cars.com to bargain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all

I will say upfront - I loved the drive, hence why I am seriously considering it OVER a sub impreza prem now - those I am able to get down to $19K for a 2018, but the sub dealers down here have been pretty hard.

Just an FYI - I have a Mazda 3 2006, that I bought in 2011, switched to synthetic out the gate, stayed on top of fluids etc, now 150K miles and has never given me any big problems, ever! So I will admit there is a bit of brand loyalty goin on here - and I am very impressed by the skyactiv package nowadays (esp the 'rollcage' and safety aspects looks appealing, living down in L.A. haha)

As far as the overall experience went, the last dealer I talked to yesterday was a crafty one, haha. But that would explain his position as manager of a sales manager - he might even be their 'closer' that they bust out at the end. Tactics involved were:

Lots of splainin and buildup to a 'really low offer', presented just as we were getting back from the test drive. After such a long day (12 hours out and about) of going from dealer to dealer, I couldn't help but laugh a bit at the whole thing, but thankfully I played it off as a 'wow' reaction.
A no budge price on a 2017 used, 35K miles, $17,800, which ended up being more expensive than his offer on the new - an interesting tactic. For a 2017 Used Touring (not grand) with 35K miles, I could reasonably offer $13K, right?
Mention of manufacturer rebates etc to be able to drop the price of a 2018, but lack of rebates justifying stiffness on the used - I don't believe this for a second as at the end of the day - they need to clear a space on the lot for the 2019s coming soon, right?

Go to *link to truecar* where you can look up the selling price a specific car in your area. CAUTION... if you are financing through dealer, they can offer low selling price but gouge you with high APR. They can also try to sell you overpriced warranties, add ons, etc. Good luck.
Gotchya - I signed up for that and I am getting truecar prices of 18,930 to 20,807, for a new 2018 Mazda 3 Touring (not Grand Touring). MSRP is 23,835 and 22,235 (weird as theyre the same car / options I think). The higher end was the list price of the vehicle I looked at / drove yesterday. Looks like the deal I was offered was about 1,000 below the lowest truecar of 18,930. Thankfully, I will be able put 5k down and have a presecured loan ($15K cap) from my credit union for 1.9 percent 60mo, so I have been using that fact as a bargaining chip - reason to veer discussion back to full price of the vehicle. Ie, "I can buy it right now and be gone, if you can meet my total price of $15K before fees"

I just paid $14500 before taxes and fees for a 2016 hatch manual, with the "high" touring trim, with 25k mi, VIN J. High because it has the popular equipment package, with the Bose setup, moonroof, and auto climate options. No power or heated seats.

I see in 2018, auto climate and the power seat are in the touring now, while Bose and moonroof are options. Why am I telling you all this? No idea, just another data point.

Thanks for the data point. I could use the fact that the power seats (the only bell and whistle I really want, haha) are standard in the Touring, to my advantage now. The dual climate is nice too, but I wont let them know that ;)

It's not a steal. It's average. Use *link to cars dot com* to bargain.
Thanks for the link. I checked it out and am seeing MSRP of about $22K, and list pricing of as low as $19,373, which is great because then I can likely open with something like $15K, and wiggle up from there on my end. Its nice to have the current offer I have of $17K (though really $17,999) from another dealer to use as a 'can you beat their price?' chip

Anyways all, thanks for the input so far. :D Probably gonna take today off on wheeling and dealing - been at it all week - and see what I can get done new years eve, using "you need space for 2019's coming in", "You can make you month-end numbers and year-end numbers look better by selling", and "can you beat other dealers' offer of $17K" as my main bargaining chips. I'll update you all

-Lucid from L.A.

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
I got mine 4k below MSRP. Now that it's the end of the year and new models are coming in, you should be able to get even lower than msrp.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was considering an Impreza as well. I had a Subaru immediately before this and a Mazda in the past. I live in CO and could use AWD in the winter. But I just couldn't get past the oil burning issue on the new generation of Subie engines. Might want to research that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up a loaded grand touring hatchback with manual trans for $21000 + tax, so you are getting a pretty normal price. It's below MSRP but honestly the 3's don't sell well, they are all below MSRP. The MSRP on mine was nearly $27,000 which is ridiculous for an entry level hatchback even if it has "all the options."

Negotiate it to 17k and walk away if they dont bite.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My niece just picked a 2018 Touring sedan automatic today, December 29th with no options for $18,101 in Houston & TTL. Used her credit union to get 3.49% for 60 months.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Go on Monday, December 31st. Best day of the year to bargain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts