2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 skyactive 2.0L (30,000Km), love it to bits but I noticed that the steering wheel has these scratches, or grooves sliced into the steering wheel. They are all to a different degree of severity and are not where I place my hands where I drive. They are at 1, 4, and 7 on the steering wheel (o'clock wise) - I normally drive 9 and 3.

I was wondering if anyone would know if this is the leather itself tearing because of manufacturing or sun damage, or what because I am 99% sure that no one is physically cutting these in. I want to get it replaced since I cannot stand a basically new car of mine having such damage, but I want to avoid this happening again.

Sorry about the quality of the photos + I promise they are deeper than they look.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
It could be sun damage, not sure. I have a 2018 too and while I don’t have the same markings as your steering wheel, I have noticed that it is can scratch and stuff easily. I scratched my steering wheel sneezing and my finger grazed it(my nails are always trimmed). I live in Hawaii and it’s pretty sunny year round. So when I got the car new, I bought this sun shade. My first car before this I didn’t use one and the sun kinda ate up the dashboard and stuff over the years. Was lazy but wanted to keep my new car looking nice and protect the screen as well. This specific one takes like three seconds to throw up and covers alot. I’m also parked uncovered by weather 95% of the time. I’m like you and it bothers me, new car and small little things like this happen. My other guess is to carefully use a heat gun or blow dryer if you don’t have one, and warm it up, constantly moving over it from like 6 inches back and see if you can smooth it out. Sorry for the ramble, take what you want with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts