2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car used.. it's been running rough a little bit after driving a couple hours. The coolant temp gets upto 215 F at times. And will drop to 186 but then go back to 208 to 215. When it is up around 208 to 210 it will start having noticeable shakes hiccups misfires whatever it is. I've taken it to dealer but no check engine light so they say nothing they can do. This car has 33,000 miles and is under warranty. What do I do? Anyone know possibly ehats going on please let me know. When car is between 186f and 195f it runs excellent. The fan does come on but shuts off alot even at 208+ farenheit. I feel it shouldnt be shutting off at that temp. The air coming from it at those higher temps is very hot and I swear you could bake a cake with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had it at the dealer twice in 2 weeks. I've explained to them that it needs to be driven for a couple hours before the symptoms start. They look it over cold and say nothing is wrong and send me on my way. I believe they do not have the time to duplicate the problem and because no check engine light is on they can send me on my way with no repercussions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Try another dealership, if it's feasible. Or have a chat with the service manager. Then try the general manager. Then Mazza USA customer service. Proceed up the ladder until you get someone to pay attention to you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Buy an extended warranty, when the engine blows up. Let them replace it. BTW, normal operating temps are 180-220f.

But, by the sounds of it you probably have something that when it gets hotter it starts leaking like a gasket or similar. They really won't deal with it until there is an actual problem. I'm thinking you probably have an injector issue or the plugs have an issue. I would probably start with a new set of plugs since they are cheap enough and easy enough to do yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I just talked to corporate. The dealership now is going to issue a hotline ticket and keep the car and be in contact with the engineers.
And yes it stays in the normal operating range but my grandmother has a mazda with the exact same motor and hers has more miles. I've driven them both in the same day under equivalent conditions and hers does not get as warm as mine nor does it start to run bad. I'll just let mazda handle it and I'll refuse to take the car until they say we found the problem and have repaired it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They said I have to wait until Monday for the loaner car. This is the first Mazda I've ever owned. I hope they can make me a happy customer if they want any repeat business. If not I'll just go back to driving Hondas

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
They said I have to wait until Monday for the loaner car. This is the first Mazda I've ever owned. I hope they can make me a happy customer if they want any repeat business. If not I'll just go back to driving Hondas
Won't knock a Honda, but many of us can say first hand that these cars are extremely reliable. You're one of the unlucky few. Mine has 165k kms on it and very few problems. Everything has been quite trivial, only significant issues was my rear brakes seizing but got that solved now.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
BTW, I had my problems when I first got mine. They changed injectors, computer, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, cats. Finally, it was all working. Apparently the problem was the last thing they replaced being a leak in the exhaust manifold.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Let us know what they find. How are you checking the temperature?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny you say that. I swear I can hear air or exhaust coming out of around the manifold area. It's so tight in there it's hard to tell and I also dont know what the car should or shouldn't be sounding like. Mine is still at the dealership so fingers crossed. I just want to drive my car again. I love it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do. I'm using one of those elm 327 bluetooth things with the torque pro app. It works pretty good. I'd say.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Try using forscan instead. It'll pull all the modules in the cars and read mazda specific codes. You can cross reference it with the codes in the maintenance manual.
For Mazda's and Ford's Forscan is better than generic software. It was developed when Ford and Mazda had a partnership - that went from the 1970's to 2015.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts