2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wow.... sorry to hear you've had such a battle. I don't think anyone here will blame you for the way you reacted to the service manager. I don't think I would have done differently.

Even given the issues, my dealer is reputed to be one of the better ones. That is not a compliment!

I will say that they didn't argue with me on the brake caliper thing. I bled them out myself, but sent an email to their manager. I see this kind of mistake as dangerous and shoddy work. I figure if I can't trust them to do a simple task like bleeding brakes, how can I trust them with anything?

In other words I buy parts there. I will say that their sales department was excellent. No BS from them what so ever.
Yeah, they gave the TSB# for the repair they were doing on my suspension, and only did half the work the first time to try to save cost. When they replaced the control arms on the second time of that visit, they left them loose and it was clunking over even small bumps and my steering was all over the place. I don't trust them at all to work on the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yeah, they gave the TSB# for the repair they were doing on my suspension, and only did half the work the first time to try to save cost. When they replaced the control arms on the second time of that visit, they left them loose and it was clunking over even small bumps and my steering was all over the place. I don't trust them at all to work on the car.
Update: They've replaced my transmission under warranty. Tech did a back to back ride with me and confirmed noise isn't normal. Called on Friday and was told they got the OK from Mazda to replace the transmission under warranty after confirming the problem existed before I messed with anything. Waiting to pick up the car from the dealership. They provided a rental as well to use this whole time without question. Had it for 7 days now. Waiting for callback from dealership to drive down and pick it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Wow. What about the wheel bearing? What happened with it?
So they said the wheel bearing didn't have any noticeable issues when I dropped it off. I'm not sure what happened between my house and the dealer, but the dealer let me come into the service bay and check it myself on the lift and it for some reason didn't have play. The slight play I felt at 12/6 o clock was actually the inner cv rocking a bit he said because I was unintentionally slightly turning the wheel while pulling on it. I left it with them over this past week and on Friday called to get an update and was told Mazda authorized a transmission replacement. I guess that means they figured out the source of the noise was inside it. I'll ask if they have any further details when I get there, but they do want me to do a test drive with the tech when I pick it up. Tech is going to road-test it before I pick it up but just double confirming the issue is fixed. Never expected a full trans replacement like this after so many bad experiences until this point. Blows my mind.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ensure that i) an alignment is done afterwards; ii) ensure strg wheel properly is centred when driving straight ahead; 3) ask'em what fluid they put back in there (new transaxle would have been shipped dry); iv) is it a brand new transaxle or is it a factory rebuild? ; and v) ensure shift cables are properly neutralized per the TSB (which of course should have happened automatically).

If it seems notchy, for whatever reason, ensure clutch hydraulics are bled.

Good luck; pls update us...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,053 Posts
Yeah, that is a major job.

I wonder what was wrong with the transmission to require a complete replacement?

Good luck!
CK

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

I wonder what was wrong with the transmission to require a complete replacement?

Good luck!
CK
Quite often the dealers don't repair transmissions anymore. If anything is wrong with the trans, they just send it back to factory (or whatever service centre) to get overhauled. The dealers only do the install. This way dealers save on time and labor costs for transmission techs. Factory can better ensure quality (in theory).

I'm sure the details vary from one brand to another, so I'd love to know exactly what Mazda does if anyone knows.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Your question about what Mazda does relates to my question about whether the OP's "incoming" transaxle is a new one or a factory rebuilt one. In general I don't think a lot of dealer tech's are experienced enough (and/or skilled enough?) and/or - are afforded enough "book time" to tear appart a manual transaxle. I suppose this comment may also apply to an automatic too - but automatics are the norm in north america... and are certainly becoming the norm in asia; manuals... not so much. So, experience levels are better with automatics. Then there is the question of the dealership actually buying the special tooling. Some of the reluctance apparently exhibited by the dealer could relate to them not wanting to invest in the tooling or in "eating" the costs (the time beyond book-time) associated with their tech learning how to do the work.

·
Super Moderator
5,200 Posts
If its warranty work, chances are the gearbox will be sent to MNAO for a post mortem so as to identify exactly what the problem was, why it happened and what should be done to prevent it from happening again. This process is why the MX-5 transmission is now on it 5th version after a "significant" number of failures.

·
Registered
522 Posts
One thing I will give Mazda is that every single internal part is available from Mazda, to totally rebuild the C66M-R Skyactiv-MT 6 speed manual... right down to the smallest synchro-strut / "shift-key". I ordered one (just for kicks...) to see what it looks like and how big it is. (They're cheap). If you owned a Mitsubishi or a Nissan or a BMW - one small manual-transmission-internal problem - and you'd be forced to buy a factory-rebuilt transmission... at big cost. No parts available ANYWHERE. Especially in the case of BMW... big $ - that's particularly why I won't drive a BMW. That and absolutely no way of getting one's hands on a BMW Factory Svce Manual... forcing you to go to the dealer for the many things that aren't covered by the Forums. Mazda's generally are one helluva lot more owner self-service friendly than are BMW's. If you could not infer this from my comments, this is one of my big pet-peeves 😕.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So I apologize since I haven't updated this is in a while. I've been very upset and busy.

Upon initial test drive after having my car for 10 days, the new transmission exhibited alignment issues and I couldn't get the car into 6th on a test drive with the technician. He shrugged it off as normal and I didn't agree. My noise was still present, as I said I don't think the actually annoying noise was transmission anymore at that point anyway. They forwarded the case to Mazda USA meditation and are in the process of buying the car back/replacing it for me. I don't want a 2019/2020 as I don't particularly like them and my local dealership for Mazda I've cut ties with due to how they've treated not only me but my girlfriend the other day over the phone.

After having the car 6 days, my girlfriends father noticed a giant leak on the ground where our car was parked. She had driven to work. Upon starting the car she said she noticed there was a clunking noise from the clutch, but she thought it might've been normal. I verified that noise and feeling myself after she returned home and she documented the leak at her work as well. It poured out alll the transmission fluid all over both driveways. I contacted the dealership the next day and was told I could use the towing service from Roadside Assistance but was informed there'd be overage charges as they only cover up to 28 miles.

At this point, the car was towed away yesterday and I no longer want the car. 13k miles and going on most likely it's 3rd transmission after this and I'm done. I've been without my car 34 days since April 10th and this is the second time they've let my transmission drain on me. I paid 207$ out of my own pocket to have it towed to a dealership that didn't do the work right the first time. I appreciate everyones support and I loved the idea of the car and still think it's overall a beautiful car but I don't trust it or Mazda anymore.

I'm done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Good luck!
CK
They took a guess, actually. They were wrong. They verified the noise existed but couldn't pin down where it came from but they authorized a massive repair that didn't fix the problem lol. I love the effort, but I told them I don't think it's transmission as you hear it out of gear now clearly. Tech also on the after ride along said he now couldn't hear the noise. It didn't change.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sorry man. That really is a shame.

I hope your next ride works out better.
CK

Reactions: Orosta91

·
Registered
522 Posts
'Real sorry to hear this. It speaks to dealership (and Mazda Regional svce) incompetancy. Reinforces for me my decision of having never set foot at the Dealer's with my '17 Mazda6 since delivery late Feb '17. That and never to an Independent either. If folks can manage to do this (and I realize not all would be- or would want to) - well, that's my sense. Warranty seems to be held sacrosanct by many. That, it seems, is unwarranted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
'Real sorry to hear this. It speaks to dealership (and Mazda Regional svce) incompetancy. Reinforces for me my decision of having never set foot at the Dealer's with my '17 Mazda6 since delivery late Feb '17. That and never to an Independent either. If folks can manage to do this (and I realize not all would be- or would want to) - well, that's my sense. Warranty seems to be held sacrosanct by many. That, it seems, is unwarranted.
I've learned this. Warranties are pretty worthless, as you'll never know how good of a job someone did unless you do it yourself. It's definitely not a part of my decision making process anymore when it comes to car purchases. I have at this point only gotten to change my oil twice. Once at 4500 miles, once at 8500 miles. The car is a baby, but a lemon nonetheless. Made me extremely sad to see it towed away for the second time in 2 months as well as paying over 200$ to get it to the dealer that messed up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Sorry man. That really is a shame.

I hope your next ride works out better.
CK
Thanks for the help and kind words. Looking at finding and '18 Elantra GT Sport. Loses the sunroof but keeps all the other nice amenities and while I don't trust warranty work to actually be done, they do warranty it for 6 years/60k miles basic. To me I hope that would signify they trust the car to last a while longer than standard without issues.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Not a big fan of Hyundai, to be honest.. just not my cup of tea.

I really like the VW GTI though.. it's nice and fun to drive. That was my other option before pulling the trigger with Mazda.

The Golf hathback is pretty nice too. They even have an all-track and r line edition for them, which are pretty impressive.. but pricey.

My wife has a 2016 Jetta with a 1.8L turbo 4 banger.. 225/50/17 alloys.. basic A.F. interior, but a fun car to throw around and kick in the turbo. Very solid and well built cars. Get the engine checked if buying used.. we got a 2 year old lease return that was in perfect condition and except for brakes, filters and a battery.. it's been driving great for these past two years.
CK

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Probably the best overall dealership experiences I've had have been either GM or Volvo. Plus Volvo will tow you to the nearest dealer free of charge no matter how old it is. They aren't cheap at the dealer, but they do good work.

If you are looking for a good manual transmission design setup, I'd probably get a subaru WRX.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts