2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I recently purchased a used 2018 Mazda 3 Touring Hatchback and after sitting in the garage for 8 days it started having problems starting. I just bought it from a dealer a bit over 2 weeks ago and the first week it was running fine without any issues. On Sunday I tried starting the car and it sounded like it was going to start, but it didn't. I've been researching as much as I can on the subject, including the search bar in the forums, but I couldn't find the exact same issue and similar issues were for older models so I'm not sure if that would even be relevant.

I've had to use a jump starter 3 times and when I do it starts right up without issues, though the engine does seem to have a slight hesitation to start. I had a family member use a voltmeter to check the battery and it said it was at 12.71 volts after having driven it close to 6 hours (daytrip) and it also said the battery was at 80% capacity. Also, though the car doesn't start the lights seem to be normal brightness and all electronics in the car work fine.

One of the videos found on Youtube was of a guy saying there was a starter fuse that may need to be changed at times when people thought it was a bad starter/locked engine?

I'm not mechanically inclined (I can change light bulbs and fuses, small stuff like that), but I wanted to at least get an idea of what it could be and see if it's anything I can easily fix myself. Car is in Texas so the weather is somewhat mild.

Please let me know if there's additional details I can provide. I certainly appreciate any help I can get!

Thank You

·
Registered
99 Posts
-check the resting voltage after the battery has sat for a few hours/overnight (should be 12.5v+)
-check the cranking voltage when trying to start the car (should not fall below 10v)
-check the charging voltage when running (should be 13.5v+)

Worth it to clean the battery contacts as well, and maybe to have the battery charged & tested at an autoparts store (not sure if they're open right now...)

It sounds a lot like a battery issue to me, but it could be a loose/dirty battery terminal connection

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the battery voltage if you try to start it without the jump leads?
I honestly don't know, sorry.

-check the resting voltage after the battery has sat for a few hours/overnight (should be 12.5v+)
-check the cranking voltage when trying to start the car (should not fall below 10v)
-check the charging voltage when running (should be 13.5v+)

Worth it to clean the battery contacts as well, and maybe to have the battery charged & tested at an autoparts store (not sure if they're open right now...)

It sounds a lot like a battery issue to me, but it could be a loose/dirty battery terminal connection
the battery contacts look clean. I contacted my mechanic today and he said it's probably the battery as well and based on what you guys are saying looks like I'll be buying a new battery soon.

I'll chime in again after taking it to the mechanic with the final resolution just in case it helps someone else

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys were completely right, had to replace the battery. Car ran fine on the way back home.

Thanks again for all your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts