2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Preferred in Machine Grey Metallic
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between a fully loaded, heavily discounted 2018 Mazda 3 GT or a 2019 Mazda 3 Preferred? Which would you get and why?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tough call. I would say drive them back to back. The 19 is a pretty big improvement but the deals on the 18's are legit. I bought a leftover 18 myself but it was really due to pricepoint since I bought an ND Miata the week before. I was out the door for high $18K and change (tax, tag, fees, etc at that price) on an 18 Eternal Blue Touring hatch with an auto. They had several 19's that just arrived and I sat in one and drove it briefly. They are very nice cars but they were $7-9K more..

If they ever make a Speed3 again the 18 3 will be traded in...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I lease because my job pays part of it and struggled with same decision until I actually priced it and the 19 hatch with 6MT would be way more per month. I had to wait until the 19 were actually in the dealership before they were ready to negotiate. My ‘18 5 door GT is awesomeness. ? Grab a deal if you can. The new 3 is sick too so you can’t go wrong.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
I'm trying to decide between a fully loaded, heavily discounted 2018 Mazda 3 GT or a 2019 Mazda 3 Preferred? Which would you get and why?
2018 Top GT trim vs 2019 base/mid trim is going to be the features. The comparison would be more even 2018 GT vs 2019 GT.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,336 Posts
I love my 2018 GT...it's a great car.

I have no real experience with the 2019...but it would have to be exceptional to top my car. The 2018's are also the most polished and refined version of the Gen 3 models. Very reliable and all the early issues for the Gen 3s have been ironed out. Very tough to beat.
CK

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you don't like the road & tyre noise typical of the 18 version then go for the 19 version

Reactions: ElNino77

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Personally, I'd get the 18 if its heavily discounted. More features vs the 19 and its cheaper. The engine and transmission in the 19 is identical, so there's no gains in fuel economy and power.

And as mentioned the 19 is a brand new design. There will be some bugs to work out. Its not a maybe.

If they were the same price with similar feature set, I'd probably get the 19 but the gains sounds minimal unless road noise is a big deal to you. Save your money.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In terms of features, and aside from the obvious aesthetic changes, what would I be losing if I went with an 18 GT over a 19 Preferred?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, a fully loaded 2018 GT vs a 2019 Preferred Package.

·
Dances With Corners
57 Posts
In terms of features, and aside from the obvious aesthetic changes, what would I be losing if I went with an 18 GT over a 19 Preferred?
The 19 is more refined and luxurious, while the 18 is sportier. If you want a quiet, comfy ride with a great sound system and impressive interior, then you want the 19. If you don't mind a noisy, bumpy ride and want better suspension and steering, then you want the 18.

I'm unsure of the actual feature difference, but it will likely be things like HUD, moonroof, lighting, paddle shifters, etc. Note that the 18 GT doesn't necessarily have all features either, unless certain packages are added.

Reactions: RavenManiac

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A fully optioned 18, all week long. Especially if you can get the difference in price at 5k or more. Though, I'm still partial to the 14-16 where they have a manual ebrake because I like ebrake slides.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A fully optioned 18, all week long. Especially if you can get the difference in price at 5k or more. Though, I'm still partial to the 14-16 where they have a manual ebrake because I like ebrake slides.
Nice shout out to the manual e-brake. I have a 15 sGT manual and agree.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice shout out to the manual e-brake. I have a 15 sGT manual and agree.
I traded-in my 2017 Sport for a 2018 Touring + Premium Package w/ Sunroof & Bose & Android Auto. Pretty much loaded especially compared to my base model 3. I really wish they kept manual e-brakes though. I miss that satisfying rip when I come and go. Lol. 17285 w/o TTL on a 18 Touring is nice though. 6250 off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up a 2018 GT HB with manual and have no complaints. It's my return to Mazda after going VW since 2007. I debated the same question and since I wasn't totally up to speed with the current 2014-18 generation, the new 2019 didn't seem all that new to me. Plus, I selectively shopped 3 dealers with the exact GT I wanted and end up with an own it price that was cheaper than my wife's lease. Just over $20k including flaps and tint. I couldn't pass it up and spend almost another $9k for the new new one. If you need the newest of everything, go for it. But that comes at a cost. Wait, I have one complaint...the NAV and Sirius displays are lackluster.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I still have my 2016 GT s Hatch with about 4500 miles. When testing a 2019 premium model it still had a bit of noise when driving. The seat also felt a bit tight on the sides but was softer. Overall it just was not worth trading up to at this time. It may be quieter but no way is it quiet! The tire noise was almost gone though compared to my 2016.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 19 is a superior car in every way including drivability and handling imo. The 18 is cheaper, that is the 18's only advantage over the 19. But, it's a hell of a lot cheaper, like 9 or 10k cheaper.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you looking at getting a hatchback or a sedan?

If hatchback you probably should make sure you are comfortable with the vision to the rear with the new 2019 design before you commit (i.e., decent test drive to check out using inside and outside mirrors and over your shoulders both ways). You should be fine with the sedan in this regard.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts