2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I noticed Mazda put up lease specials for the 2018 Mazda3 on their site today....has anyone heard details about any changes or updates? This will likely be the current generation's last year on the market.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just bought my 2017 this weekend and they had a 2018 that had just come in. There didnt seem to be any major exterior differences that i could tell, but the guy at the dealership said the Touring will now have a more powerful 2.5L standard and the Sport will still be 2.0L standard this year. I got a better deal on the 2017, so thats what i went with

·
Registered
36 Posts
I read something about the changes (not many, by the way) while surfing the internet one day.

Don't remember where but if you goggle 2018 vs 2017 Mazda3 I'll bet it'll show up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I thought we were supposed to have the new hcci skyactiv engine they've been bragging about for 2 years now? Next year I guess?
i read somewhere that it would be late 2018 models and that they would have a compression ration around 18:1 and a 30% increase in fuel efficiency. Apparently the delay was due to heat management issues

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i read somewhere that it would be late 2018 models and that they would have a compression ration around 18:1 and a 30% increase in fuel efficiency. Apparently the delay was due to heat management issues
With the type of tech they're playing with, I can't say I'm surprised. Are we going to have a full redesign or just engine swap?

Thanks for the info!

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
We have all been reading about new model upgrades and changes, reading all the promises and expected deadlines -- to see so many delays in their being available across all brands. Mazda folks sure remember how long the wait has been for CarPlay and similar. And car media hype all these changes, giving them deadlines (mostly made up), to hype their monthly mag sales.

I will believe we will be getting the super efficient new engines the day they are officially announced by Mazda.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Heard a thing from a lil' birdie that the HCCI engine won't be out till the new refresh Mazda 3; probably 2020 unless they do a 2019.5 refresh like the CX5... Meanwhile, they're putting most of their effort into a successful launch of the CX5 Diesel before they go bombarding the EPA with more emissions nonsense of a diesel + HCCI engine.

·
Grand Exalted Poobah
15 Posts
We have all been reading about new model upgrades and changes, reading all the promises and expected deadlines -- to see so many delays in their being available across all brands. Mazda folks sure remember how long the wait has been for CarPlay and similar. And car media hype all these changes, giving them deadlines (mostly made up), to hype their monthly mag sales.

I will believe we will be getting the super efficient new engines the day they are officially announced by Mazda.
Yep. My personal rule is: Never buy anything based on promises about the future. Or put another way: If you can't go out and get it right now, then it's vaporware. Creates fewer disappointments and more pleasant surprises.

D7

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Here an example of misinformed media vaporware, e.g., unsubstantiated rumors that, as usual, turned out to be totally wrong. Please notice the 2014 article date, that is comes from Automobile magazine.

Oh where is that 2016, 300 HP, AWD Mazda 3???

Another another favorite source is the person who says, "my salesperson told me that the next Mazda 3 is going to have six wheel drive..."

Ah yes, the famous knowledgeable salesperson....

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently there's darker wheels for Grand Touring, the Touring trim now has a sunglass holder and only comes with the 2.5 liter and not the 2.0 liter, but I also found one major change: the Grand Touring now combines the previous Premium and SkyActiv Safety package into one package that has the same pricing as the old Premium package. Even with a $250 higher base price, you still come out $850 ahead if you were planning on getting the SkyActiv Safety package.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Heard a thing from a lil' birdie that the HCCI engine won't be out till the new refresh Mazda 3; probably 2020 unless they do a 2019.5 refresh like the CX5... Meanwhile, they're putting most of their effort into a successful launch of the CX5 Diesel before they go bombarding the EPA with more emissions nonsense of a diesel + HCCI engine.
Mazda need to raise their game on all electric cars if they want to sell cars in Europe in the future. Both the UK and France have pledged to ban internal combustion engines from 2040 and Norway much sooner.

I hope the next Mazda petrol engine improves the chuffing noise during fast idle on starting the engine and has more effective exhaust noise suppression under acceleration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought my 2017 this weekend and they had a 2018 that had just come in. There didnt seem to be any major exterior differences that i could tell, but the guy at the dealership said the Touring will now have a more powerful 2.5L standard and the Sport will still be 2.0L standard this year. I got a better deal on the 2017, so thats what i went with
Hey what 3 did you go with? im looking at a 2017 gt now and wondering the kinda deal you were able to get. did you lease? thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey what 3 did you go with? im looking at a 2017 gt now and wondering the kinda deal you were able to get. did you lease? thanks!
I got a 2017 Touring, the only thing i believe i do not have as an option in the Touring model is the sunroof because i didn't want it. when everything was said and done i got it for $17,277 which was $5053.00 off MSRP. Part of that was Mazda loyalty, which i think was $750.00 additional off. Plus i got 0% financing which was really nice. I purchased this vehicle because the price was only within $12 between the lease and the buy with the $ i had put down

·
Registered
34 Posts
The new pricing for the 2018 Mazda 3 seems nice. A lot of the stuff I wanted from the 2017's Premium equipment package is standard now in the GT so that's like a 1.6k savings right there. The only thing that I think I'd want but isn't standard is the paddle shifters and the adaptive lighting system. Now I can debate on if I really need the premium equipment package for just those two items.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a 2017 Touring, the only thing i believe i do not have as an option in the Touring model is the sunroof because i didn't want it. when everything was said and done i got it for $17,277 which was $5053.00 off MSRP. Part of that was Mazda loyalty, which i think was $750.00 additional off. Plus i got 0% financing which was really nice. I purchased this vehicle because the price was only within $12 between the lease and the buy with the $ i had put down
Wow that's a killer deal! Ya better to buy if its that low of a price compared to the lease. I'm getting a deal of about 3200 below msrp for the grand touring 2.5 after discount & rebates. I dont have the time to haggle much more... my other car just died suddenly and need a ride asap. Leasing mine for 250 per month for 12/36. They really are giving decent deals since the 2018s are pretty much coming now.

thanks for your info and pretty excited to get the car

·
Registered
156 Posts
Apparently there's darker wheels for Grand Touring, the Touring trim now has a sunglass holder and only comes with the 2.5 liter and not the 2.0 liter, but I also found one major change: the Grand Touring now combines the previous Premium and SkyActiv Safety package into one package that has the same pricing as the old Premium package. Even with a $250 higher base price, you still come out $850 ahead if you were planning on getting the SkyActiv Safety package.
The 2017 Touring 2.5 already has the sunglasses holder.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow that's a killer deal! Ya better to buy if its that low of a price compared to the lease. I'm getting a deal of about 3200 below msrp for the grand touring 2.5 after discount & rebates. I dont have the time to haggle much more... my other car just died suddenly and need a ride asap. Leasing mine for 250 per month for 12/36. They really are giving decent deals since the 2018s are pretty much coming now.

thanks for your info and pretty excited to get the car
No problem, congrats on the new car. I was in a similar situation, our 2007/2008 Tribute was totaled in a WalMart Parking lot by some lady who obviously couldnt drive. The Tribute had about 268k miles on her and still drove like a champ. We basically had to wait 2 weeks for them to total it out, so i had a little bit of time to research while i had a rental. The 3 was by far the best deal. I wanted the hatch and a manual but my wife told me NO because she cant drive stick and didnt want to learn, lol. Also part of the reason i traded in my Focus ST to buy her an Explorer. If they ever come back out with MS3 I told her that she will have no option but to learn to drive a manual

·
Registered
11 Posts
No problem, congrats on the new car. I was in a similar situation, our 2007/2008 Tribute was totaled in a WalMart Parking lot by some lady who obviously couldnt drive. The Tribute had about 268k miles on her and still drove like a champ. We basically had to wait 2 weeks for them to total it out, so i had a little bit of time to research while i had a rental. The 3 was by far the best deal. I wanted the hatch and a manual but my wife told me NO because she cant drive stick and didnt want to learn, lol. Also part of the reason i traded in my Focus ST to buy her an Explorer. If they ever come back out with MS3 I told her that she will have no option but to learn to drive a manual
Thanks man but ya that is rough when it is unexpected like that but i agree it is one of the best deal out there. I was thinking about the 6 but for the money it was not worth it over the 3.

Ha! At least your wife drives! My wife never got her licence but i think in this car i can finally teach her how. I can also love driving stick but went auto for this reason too. I would love a 2.5 turbo mazdaspeed 3. I think its just what this car needs to be really fun.

I had a bmw 3 series coupe and then leased a 4 series as soon as they came out. Gave it back and decided to drive my 2002 trans am for the spring/summer to save some cash and think what i wanted but... the engine just developed a rod knock... which is less than optimal. Will need to rebuild but not this year...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts