2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
If it's the orange wrench icon, just reset it by going to Home -> Applications -> Maintenance by using your Commander switch

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
The orange wrench can be set my lots of things. Sometimes caused because at the PDI, something so simple as the Tech set the mileage for tire rotation way too low. And as noted above, so easily re-set.

However, if one does not know the cause, re-setting and forgetting is not prudent, i.e., as arathol noted, take it to you dealer if you do not know what caused it and can easily re-set that erroneous parameter.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
Yes, if you don't know why the light is on take it to the dealer, but don't get taken by the dealer either. There are unscrupulous people out there who will set the light to come on unnecessarily, then try to convince you do have some unneeded "service" done.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Service light and CEL are 2 different things. If it's the orange wrench don't worry about it, they didn't set the interval correctly in PDI.

If it's CEL that's not so good. Get it to dealer.

Resetting the intervals in infotainment will reset it there, but sometimes it won't reset the gauge cluster wrench light. I have had to reset the gauges light manually before:

IIRC correctly ( I had to look this up myself because it was far easier than going back to the dealer) you do the following:

1 - car is off
2 - hold down trip meter button
3 - press engine start button twice to turn the car electrics on (foot off brake so it doesn't start)
4 - wait for the warning lamps to blink

You should be good to go. I also "reset" the infotainment section at the same time for good measure when doing mine, but I don't think that was required. I didn't have a problem after that.

In fact had to use the same thing to do my wife's CX-5. The dealer set the interval for her at 4 months instead of 6.

After putting a note on one of those electronic surveys after the last time they did it they've set it correctly ever since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, and you were all correct. The tire rotation was set ridiculously low in the app, so I just re-set it and the light went away. A friend with a '17 3 told me about it, but in the meantime I had called the dealer and they just told me to come in without explaining the app settings. Shouldn't they have given me that info over the phone? I think the tire setting maybe got thrown when I replaced the OEMs with Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S's, so now I'm not slipping all over the road. Anyone want my originals?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts