2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 2015 sGT in for a 2018 GT and noticed the daytime running lights behave differently. The 2015 DRL's halo lights ran during the day, with the headlights off. On the 2018, the headlights are on along with the halos. I've ran through the settings with no luck of finding a solution.

Is anybody with a 2017/2018 Mazda 3 w/ led drl having experiencing this same behavior? Then is there a work around or fix available. I would really like my drl's to light the halo only during the day.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That's normal, there's a few threads on this topic. The 2017+ models have the headlights on at reduced power to function as the DRL. This works the same as the 2017+ CX-5 as well and I'm sure it'll be the same for the 2018+ refreshed 6. The only thing you can do is disable the DRL but that'll turn off all lights including the halo. I did that on my 2017 CX-5 and left it off for a while, only recently I turned it back on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I traded my 2015 sGT in for a 2018 GT and noticed the daytime running lights behave differently. The 2015 DRL's halo lights ran during the day, with the headlights off. On the 2018, the headlights are on along with the halos. I've ran through the settings with no luck of finding a solution.

Is anybody with a 2017/2018 Mazda 3 w/ led drl having experiencing this same behavior? Then is there a work around or fix available. I would really like my drl's to light the halo only during the day.
yeah all the 17/18's do this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This may not be useful information, but I wanted to pass it along. The DRLs on the 17+ models with the LED headlamps only use the "Brights" LED grid at reduced power. Mazda chose to do this to reduce the wear on the regular headlamp LEDs as the Brights are much more limited in usage hours. I was curious about it, since LED headlights are just now becoming mainstream and I wanted to know the MBTF for the LED lamps and voiced my concerns about the DRLs causing unnecessary wear to the LEDs.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.

~Ex

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2018 GT and my headlights do the same thing. I thought it was odd at first because in some of Mazda's advertisements for the car it showed it driving with just the halos on. I'm waiting to see if someone will try to re-wire them to a separate switch or something. I've even considered trying this myself but I'm wary because I don't want to mess up my headlights and have to buy replacements. I might try to tackle it this summer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
They need to let the Halo, Eyebrow, & Fog-lights be the DRL.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's doable... I have my halo-swoop wired into a switched +12v in the fusebox... Did a bypass relay for the foglights, and did the pedal/door dance to disable DRLs... Also installed sequential blinkers in the halo-swoop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's doable... I have my halo-swoop wired into a switched +12v in the fusebox... Did a bypass relay for the foglights, and did the pedal/door dance to disable DRLs... Also installed sequential blinkers in the halo-swoop.

Nice halos... wish my car comes with it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts

How hard is it to do all of that including the wiring/opening up the headlights? I've been wanting the signature headlights/sequential strips for a while and stuck between buying a pair off of ebay, or pulling out the lights and baking them/opening them up to retrofit them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How hard is it to do all of that including the wiring/opening up the headlights? I've been wanting the signature headlights/sequential strips for a while and stuck between buying a pair off of ebay, or pulling out the lights and baking them/opening them up to retrofit them.
The sequential LEDs I jsut got off Ebay.. not the best, but I wanted to do something quick while I had my headlight opened for clear lens swap.

As for ease... i've been doing retrofits for a few years so it comes a bit easier to me, but if you're careful it's pretty simple; but if you screw it up, OEM LEDs headlights are pricey.

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
To seal it up, I'm assuming that a silicone sealant can be used to close up the lights, or is there something better to use?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi, can you explain to me how to get only the halo and line on during the day?

I'm a total noob when it comes to cars :\ but I would like to try

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi, can you explain to me how to get only the halo and line on during the day?

I'm a total noob when it comes to cars :\ but I would like to try
Err, I think the easiest way would be to disable DRL (low beam on dimmed power) and then you can just flip the stalk to parking lights (but your tail lights will be on as well).

If you want the swoop to be the only thing illuminated when you turn on your car, you'll need to cut and reconnect the LED power to a switched +12v. I have mine routed into my fusebox. I did this a long time ago so i don't remember which wire I used.

I believe it's one of the wires coming from the connector at the bottom.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Err, I think the easiest way would be to disable DRL (low beam on dimmed power) and then you can just flip the stalk to parking lights (but your tail lights will be on as well).

If you want the swoop to be the only thing illuminated when you turn on your car, you'll need to cut and reconnect the LED power to a switched +12v. I have mine routed into my fusebox. I did this a long time ago so i don't remember which wire I used.

I believe it's one of the wires coming from the connector at the bottom.
Hey @chutoyy, this has been driving me crazy ever since i picked up my 2018 GT. Just a few questions. First off, did you take off the bumper to get headlights out? Second, with the wiring of the headlights, do you think there is a wire just for the low beam LED DRL that can be disconnected to stop that (I tried the sequence to disable the DRL and it does not work on Canadian models)? I am trying hard to figure a way I can do this. My plan is to set up fogs and halos to be my DRL and eliminate the low beam LED completely. Any thoughts would help. Once I figure this out I will post about how to make it work for others.

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey @chutoyy, this has been driving me crazy ever since i picked up my 2018 GT. Just a few questions. First off, did you take off the bumper to get headlights out? Second, with the wiring of the headlights, do you think there is a wire just for the low beam LED DRL that can be disconnected to stop that (I tried the sequence to disable the DRL and it does not work on Canadian models)? I am trying hard to figure a way I can do this. My plan is to set up fogs and halos to be my DRL and eliminate the low beam LED completely. Any thoughts would help. Once I figure this out I will post about how to make it work for others.

Thanks
Yes, you need to remove the bumper to get the headlights out. And no, don't touch the low beam wire or else your headlights won't work at all (DRL is low beams at roughly 50% power controlled by the BCM). There is that flowsheet that I followed for disabling DRLs on my US spec car, it took a few... many tries and some swearing, but I think due to Canadian law, they may have disabled that option on those specs. Best bet is to try to find a really friendly dealer or someone w/ a Mazda programmer to see if they can poke around in the function somewhere to do a hard disable.

Either I did a write up or someone else did for the independent fog light function; if you just leave the foglight stalk "on" it'll serve as DRL, but you're also able to turn it off when you want. The Halo will probably require a cut/splice/or connect to constant power of some sort; I wired my DRLs into a sequential turn signal function as well so I can't speak to the DRL function of factory eyebrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts