2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2018 BM Mazda 3, manual transmission. Really loving driving the car, the handling dynamics are great! I used to drive an RX-8 a while ago, and I can really feel the spirit of that car in this Mazda 3. Very happy that Mazda has not lost their focus on driving enjoyment.

I do have one issue with the Mazda 3: the accelerator pedal is too far from the brake pedal for me to do my typical "foot-roll" style of heel-toe. I think this is because the Mazda 3 is using throttle-by-wire (electronically controlled throttle), whereas I have been used to driving cars that are throttle-by-cable (mechanical throttle control). The accelerator pedals for these two types of throttle control are very different.

I think most of the members here know, but the accelerator pedal for modern, electronic throttle control (throttle-by-wire) is a very narrow, wedge-shaped pedal, much like one you would find on a sewing machine. Also, the height of the contact-surface of this narrow pedal is quite a bit lower than the brake pedal, and there is quite a wide gap (laterally) from the brake pedal. These aspects make it almost impossible for me to do my foot-roll throttle blip for synchronous brake/rev matching.

The older throttle-by-cable accelerator pedal is located much closer to the brake pedal, laterally, and is "flush" with the brake pedal, as well. This makes heel-toe, especially foot-roll, much easier.

Below is a photo where a user created a "widening plate" for their older throttle-by-cable pedal in the Mazda 6.
Automotive exterior Grey Automotive tire Wood Gas

And below is how a user widened their modern electronic throttle accelerator pedal (this is how my BM Mazda 3 is).

I do appreciate that the users have DIY'd their solutions, and am looking for something that would solve my electronic accelerator pedal issue. The solution that the user crafted for the second photos looks good, but I really would like an accelerator pedal which is wider, to be able to more roll my foot onto the gas -- the second solution above, although good, is still a bit too far from the brake pedal, in my opinion.

Would you have any recommendation on pedal replacements/extenders that could make rolling heel-toe easier? I am willing to pay for the purchase, of course. I don't have access, nor the knowledge, to work a CNC machine!

Sorry to be so long-winded, just want to make sure that my question and reason for my question is clear.

Thanks for any suggestions!

**For completion, here are the links to the above-cited threads, which are on a different forum.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
See posts 218 and 219, which have some photos of OMP pedals. I like the OMP brake pedal cover, with that side-wing.

Can we get better HP and MPG with higher than 87 Octane?

You can mount the brake pedal cover closer to the throttle, and the accelerator cover closer to the brake... and you could shim up either to start to achieve level operation when both brake and accelerator overcome their "hysteresis" (sp?) and are in their respective operating zones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See posts 218 and 219, which have some photos of OMP pedals. I like the OMP brake pedal cover, with that side-wing.

Can we get better HP and MPG with higher than 87 Octane?

You can mount the brake pedal cover closer to the throttle, and the accelerator cover closer to the brake... and you could shim up either to start to achieve level operation when both brake and accelerator overcome their "hysteresis" (sp?) and are in their respective operating zones.
Nice, thanks for the link to the further discussion. I was also thinking that it would help if the brake cover could be moved closer to the accelerator, but the OMP looked like it wouldn't be able to be shifted to the right. Good to know that it can be.

I think you're right that I would need to have a shim underneath the accelerator cover so that it gets closer to the height of the brake. I might try to source some sort of rectangular, metal plate to use as a shim underneath the accelerator cover, to kill two birds with one stone: raise the accelerator cover to be more on the same plane as the brake, and extend the width of the accelerator even more.

As for the clutch pedal, if I went with this OMP solution, I might hold off on using the clutch cover at first, as I don't really have a problem with it. If I do use it, I would just install it "upside down" (with the OMP logo on top, upside down), to avoid it hitting the firewall. I just don't have the tools to cut it off, like the original poster did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts