2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a Canadian 2017 Mazda 3 sedan GS. There is a noticeable clunk noise coming from the front suspension when I hit speed bumps and other changes of grade. It is not every time, for example, when I first get in the car and hit the first speed bump there's a clunk but then the next speed bump there will not be a clunk. I noticed there are recalls for the 2016 version of this car but nothing for the 2017. I asked the dealer and they say there's nothing wrong with my suspension and everything is normal. It certainly does not sound normal and is pretty Audible. Does anybody know anything about this issue or am I just hearing things?

Here's a video I took, it sounds very hollow if that makes sense.

https://youtu.be/GZzMmIUNNRE

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine was doing something similar when I would make a right turn leaving my job's parking lot. I wasn't too worried because I was gonna lower the car and once I did, the noise went away. I'm sure my noise was coming from the driver side front strut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there, did you get a chance figure this out? I think I have the same problem as yours when go over certain bumps. My car is 2018 mazda3.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I second the use of the spring protector.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They added to my 2015 GT the spring protector and new control arm bushings (softer or stiffer ones don't remember) via a TSB that was intended for CX-5 oddly enough, and the sound muffled a bit but still there, I thought they fixed the issue (known issue) in 2017 and that it was an engineering (spring design) issue ...

For me it was happening in a particular corner down my street, when I turned the wheels and went over bumps I could reproduce every time :), still can but the clunk is muffled by the spring protectors, I just crank the volume a bit and problem fixed.

It's just annoying but it is not a mechanical defect/issue the spring coils hit each other when the spring compresses - another fun fact: I believe more noticeable on GT's with 18" wheels when I put my 16" winter with thick rubber the noise is gone, the tires absorb the impact better and it is not transmitted to the springs, since the 2.0 with 16" is Mazda's "bread and butter" not too many complains I suppose, and they did not catch it in pre-production tests since the 2.5 GT is just a variant of the 2.0 not a different car that needed to be tested with 18" wheels ... oh Mazda ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts