2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peops! I owned a 2007 Mazda 3 Hatch until a few months ago and now I'm in the market for a new 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch. This will my first NEW car and probably my biggest investment (so far), so I'd like to be happy with my purchase. Ideally I'd purchase by July 5th so I can take advantage of the $2000 Customer Cash.

I am sure I want a Mazda 3, a GT, an Automatic.
85% sure I want a Hatchback.
85% sure I want the i-ACTIVSENSE package
65% sure I want the Premium Equipment Package
(btw, it looks like i-ACTIVSENSE requires that you have the Premium Equipment Package) -- Can someone confirm this?
External color preference: 1st choice is Soul Red, then Machine Grey, then Eternal Blue.

About me: male, early 30s; reside in Seattle, appreciate beauty in a car and enjoy them - NOT just a tool to get you from point A to B.
I bus commute to work and I don't see that changing anytime soon... I'll definitely be under 5000 miles/year.

What kind of deals have you guys had after adding the the two options (i-ACTIVSENSE and Premium Equipment Package)? I'm seeing $26,500 (which is after applying the $2000 customer cash discount). Has anyone gotten a better deal?

Any other advice that will help me make a wise purchase will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The sedan has better styling and a larger and more useful load area than the hatchback - but the hatchback is more versatile and can transport bulky items.

I've found the road noise on rough roads on disappointing with the 18" wheels (revised 2017 model). Be sure to have a test drive on rough roads to ensure you are content with the noise levels.

Experienced drivers may find many of the i-ACTIVESENSE features annoying and unnecessary. My UK car does have Smart City Brake Support which is a useful safety feature I hope never to experience.

Reactions: mlfatty

·
Mazda 3 Lover
111 Posts
Hey peops! I owned a 2007 Hatch until a few months ago and now I'm in the market for a new 2017 GT Hatch. This will my first NEW car and probably my biggest investment (so far), so I'd like to be happy with my purchase. Ideally I'd purchase by July 5th so I can take advantage of the $2000 Customer Cash.

I am sure I want a , a GT, an Automatic.
85% sure I want a Hatchback.
85% sure I want the i-ACTIVSENSE package
65% sure I want the Premium Equipment Package
(btw, it looks like i-ACTIVSENSE requires that you have the Premium Equipment Package) -- Can someone confirm this?
External color preference: 1st choice is Soul Red, then Machine Grey, then Eternal Blue.

About me: male, early 30s; reside in Seattle, appreciate beauty in a car and enjoy them - NOT just a tool to get you from point A to B.
I bus commute to work and I don't see that changing anytime soon... I'll definitely be under 5000 miles/year.

What kind of deals have you guys had after adding the the two options (i-ACTIVSENSE and Premium Equipment Package)? I'm seeing $26,500 (which is after applying the $2000 customer cash

discount). Has anyone gotten a better deal?

Any other advice that will help me make a wise purchase will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

what has been your choice finally?

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
I purchased my hatchback in July of 2016 and just one month after my purchase my girlfriend found herself needing a new vehicle. She test drove about 5 vehicles and loved the Mazda3 the best. She decided to go with a sedan because she has always had sedans and didn't fully look into hatch options. Lets just say she totally regrets her decision. Whenever we go on a fishing excursion we always have to take my car because our poles and everything we take fits inside much easier. She is actually considering trading just due to the lack of space in the sedan. Exterior styling is also much nicer with the hatches body lines flow much nicer from the side view. The sedan looks incomplete from that angle.

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just recently got the same car but jet black mica with all the electronics and comfort stuff. The feature of the adaptive cruise alone sold me on the i-active sense. I live in the toronto canada area and often use the 401, the fact that i can set cruise control at a given speed and the car slows down automatically for a slower car ahead and then speeds up when it's no longer there is great. Plus the LED headlights are great too at night :)

Personally i vote for the hatch though, i like the lines better on it than the sedan but both are nice

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I have the car you are looking at (if you buy all the options/choices you are considering), though with a manual. I really like the car. Within a day of owning it, I ditched the loud OEM Dunlops for Michelin A/S 3+'s and got me a better ride, better handling and lesser noise. Is it still a little louder than I want on rhymically bad pavement. Yes, but for most roads it is just fine.

Car is wonderful, definitely a BIG FUN driving car that you are wanting. Sorry, but can not advise on current pricing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hatch vs Sedan is all personal preference and is completely up to you.

From my previous car buying experience: If you more than 50% want something and can afford it, get it or you will likely regret / wish you had gotten it later on. It will only help with your long term satisfaction.

If you're right around the 50% mark of wanting something outweigh the cost / benefit ratio to yourself to help with the decision.

Good luck, I've been thrilled with my loaded '17 GT :)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I just recently got the same car but jet black mica with all the electronics and comfort stuff. The feature of the adaptive cruise alone sold me on the i-active sense. I live in the toronto canada area and often use the 401, the fact that i can set cruise control at a given speed and the car slows down automatically for a slower car ahead and then speeds up when it's no longer there is great. Plus the LED headlights are great too at night :)

Personally i vote for the hatch though, i like the lines better on it than the sedan but both are nice
I frequent the 401 also. What a bag of garbage...I would have killed for adaptive cruise control, but it didn't exist with the manual transmission. Stick wins for me any day.

My vote is for hatch. They're mini pickup trucks! The amount of stuff I've hauled in my 3 and my old hatchback accent is obscene.

So far my record is 53 bags of cement in a crappy 2 door accent...the Mazda I've only moved a bunch of heavy vinyl flooring. It was stacked to the roof :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I frequent the 401 also. What a bag of garbage...I would have killed for adaptive cruise control, but it didn't exist with the manual transmission. Stick wins for me any day.

My vote is for hatch. They're mini pickup trucks! The amount of stuff I've hauled in my 3 and my old hatchback accent is obscene.

So far my record is 53 bags of cement in a crappy 2 door accent...the Mazda I've only moved a bunch of heavy vinyl flooring. It was stacked to the roof :)
401 drivers unite! (me too...)

1st accident was on the 401 - rear ended in a sudden stop (minor)

Last 3 was written off just about to get onto the 401. Traffic was stopped because 401 was backed up - dude behind chose to use me as his brakes instead of his own truck's brakes. That's the only reason I now have the '17.

***Edit. I vote load it up and be happy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I actually drove all the way down to Oregon to get my Soul Red GT 6MT w/ prem+iactivesense pack... Paid about $24k before TTL.... Could have been lower, but they knew what they had and they knew I drove all the way down from Seattle so they had the upper hand. If you're in the Puyallup area, go see Ben or Chris at Milam Mazda, they're chill guys.

Edit: If you can't get somewhere below or around invoice for the car BEFORE the rebates, shoot me a PM and I'll try to get you a Mazda friends and family PIN.

·
*The Electrician*
898 Posts
It does now>:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up the exact same car 6 weeks ago (Soul Red, Premium, iSense, Auto) - Paid around what you are looking at and did the 63 month 0% Promo. I'm in Minneapolis and they dealer located it Ohio. Premium Package Bi-LED Adaptive lighting was non-negotiable to me, and very happy to have that. Auto dimming Mirror has been more useful on this car than on the other cars I have that have that. I'm impressed with all of iSense - personally I can't understand not insisting on those features in a new car in 2017. To each his own, I guess.

Road Noise is such a subjective thing. I have a work 2015 Ford Focus, and just traded a 2004 Passat on the Mazda3, and also have a 2013 Camaro, a 2005 Suburban, and a 2013 Malibu, and traded out a 2014 Cruze ( I have 3 other drivers in the house). I bring this up not to talk about all the cars I have, but to calibrate to my expectations. I think the real reason for the road noise is the front wheel wells - the plastic housings do us no favors with transmitting noises. I'm considering putting some dynamat up in there to see if that helps. Having said that, the Focus and the Cruze were noisier, The Camaro is all engine sounds, lol. The Mazda road noise is easily squashed by the Bose sound system.

Let us know what you do!

·
Registered
43 Posts
To me, having traded in my 2011 Hyundai Elantra the noise level in the mazda is less. I have the Bose system in mine too though so any noise i do hear is just an excuse to put up the volume :rock 1:

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts

53 bags?! Wow that's a lot...and a lot for that little accent engine to handle. That's like towing a small car haha. I have been able to fit 3 bikes and a large computer chair in my hatch all at once. I never would have been able to fit that in my old MX5 HAH :D

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I think the real reason for the road noise is the front wheel wells - the plastic housings do us no favors with transmitting noises. I'm considering putting some dynamat up in there to see if that helps.
I just found something in my 2017 that might help -- IF it is part of the 2017 sound deadening upgrade package. When installing my LED front turn signal, to best document with pictures for all who might choose to follow what I did, I removed the entire wheel wheel liner (as below, not necessary even to gain full access).

What I saw after removing the wheel liner, was a vertical piece of dense sound absorbing material. It is black painted, shaped like a crescent moon, about 18" tall, 3" wide at it maximum, and about 1 1/4" thick. It attached with, literally, a 10" piece of two-sided tape. Just test fit it where you think it will vertically go (obvious once you have done that), remove the two-sided tape, and stick it against the metal vertical frame member.

If anyone chooses to do this -- after first confirming this piece is new for the 2017's, simple matter of removing the wheel, then ONLY the rear half of the wheel liner. While the wheel liner is a one piece complete unit, it has a "hinge" in its top center (right above the center of wheel), so you can in just a few minutes pop out all the pins and gain total and easy access to install the sound deadening piece. It is what @rredrocketmn noted as being needed, sometime to prevent your plastic wheel liners from easily transmitting noise, like a drum -- with one side being a metal frame member, and then other a plastic drum lid.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
53 bags?! Wow that's a lot...and a lot for that little accent engine to handle. That's like towing a small car haha. I have been able to fit 3 bikes and a large computer chair in my hatch all at once. I never would have been able to fit that in my old MX5 HAH :D
It was a 2004. I REALLY didn't care about it anymore. After over 300k kms the engine and trans still ran strong, but it had other wear and tear issues.

It was amazing how well it handled the abuse though. There's a steep hill on the home....accent doesn't care, just geared down :)

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
It was a 2004. I REALLY didn't care about it anymore. After over 300k kms the engine and trans still ran strong, but it had other wear and tear issues.

It was amazing how well it handled the abuse though. There's a steep hill on the home....accent doesn't care, just geared down :)
Thats awesome! I bought a 2011 Accent that was complete base model and MT. It literally came with crank windows, no A/C, and get this, NO RADIO. That car was a BLAST to drive and although brand new I drove it like it was a beater because it kinda had that feel with the trim level and all :D. But it served me well and I loved it for the $9800 price tag new. I should have kept it just for an extra car, but the crash test ratings were so bad I eventually just traded it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Auto dimming Mirror has been more useful on this car than on the other cars I have that have that.
In 2014 the auto dim mirrors didn't have home link. Nice to get rid of the extra remote with my 2017.

P.S. Premium Package was a must for me. I skipped the i-Active Sense

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thats awesome! I bought a 2011 Accent that was complete base model and MT. It literally came with crank windows, no A/C, and get this, NO RADIO. That car was a BLAST to drive and although brand new I drove it like it was a beater because it kinda had that feel with the trim level and all :D. But it served me well and I loved it for the $9800 price tag new. I should have kept it just for an extra car, but the crash test ratings were so bad I eventually just traded it.
I picked mine up used for $4500 with 80k kms on it :D I had the 'sport' version. Only difference was 14" wheels up from 13", the 1.6L, a crappy moon roof and spoiler. WOO!

I managed to find power windows at a junkyard, wired them right into the ignition because I was too lazy to run the wires through the firewall. Also wired a remote start there as well. Except I didn't wire the starter in....just the remote locks lol.

A good friend had the same car, we used to call them the best turd on the road lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts