2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2017 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0L P0012 code

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JoeMini 
#1 ·
My daughters Mazda 3 is throwing the P0012 code, CEL, and running rough, lack of power, etc.. And I can't figure it out.

Car history is she has had it from almost new (5000km), it has just over 60,000km (37,000 miles), running synthetic since first change, and changed at 8000km (5000m). The car was a previous total loss so there is no warranty.

So far we changed the oil (twice) and did a flush (no sludge anywhere). Checked the wiring harness and verified it was good. Replaced the VVT solenoid (even thought the original tested good) since we already had it opened up. Inspected visually the timing chain and everything looks good. Reset the PCM. I would have cleaned a the VVT solenoid screen, but I couldn't find one and I am not sure that there is one.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

The only change I noticed is that after changing the VVT solenoid, it seems to run a little smoother, however that might be just wishful thinking in my head.

#2 ·
Here's some general info on that fault code: P0012 OBD-II Trouble Code: Camshaft Position A - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

Also download the service manual if you haven't already. It will have troubleshooting steps specific to that error code. You can find it in the DIY subforum.

With any fault where the failed part isn't obvious, diagnose before repair. Otherwise you're just blindly throwing parts at it. Unless you don't value your time and your money, it's a bad idea.

See how far you can get with troubleshooting and let us know how it goes. Give details and we will fill in any holes as needed. You'll need a multimeter but the good news is those are cheap if you don't already have one.

#3 ·
Here's some general info on that fault code: P0012 OBD-II Trouble Code: Camshaft Position A - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

Also download the service manual if you haven't already. It will have troubleshooting steps specific to that error code. You can find it in the DIY subforum.

With any fault where the failed part isn't obvious, diagnose before repair. Otherwise you're just blindly throwing parts at it. Unless you don't value your time and your money, it's a bad idea.

See how far you can get with troubleshooting and let us know how it goes. Give details and we will fill in any holes as needed. You'll need a multimeter but the good news is those are cheap if you don't already have one.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have already went through all those steps. I replaced the VVT solenoid since I had to take the valve cover off to get to it to test, since i was in there I installed the new one I had on hand. That's what I am asking, what the next step to diagnose? I can't find the problem. The article you linked says to do a "manufacturer's specific pinpoint test ". Any idea where i would find what these tests are?

#10 ·
P0012 Causes
  • Engine oil is too low*
  • Dirty/sludged engine oil*
  • Low oil pressure.
  • Malfunctioning camshaft timing.
  • Short in intake timing control/oil control circuit.
  • Faulty intake valve timing control solenoid.
  • Faulty oil control valve (OCV)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.