2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first Mazda 3 in the very near future.
I just have a quick question that I am sure some of you can help me out with.
I am looking at a Canadian spec 2017 Mazda 3 GT and I really like the center tach design of the cluster.
Just wondering will I still get that same center tach design if I get a base GT (non Premium Package)? Or does that tach only comes in cars with the HUD?

Thanks in advance! :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first Mazda 3 in the very near future.

I just have a quick question that I am sure some of you can help me out with.

I am looking at a Canadian spec 2017 Mazda 3 GT and I really like the center tach design of the cluster.

Just wondering will I still get that same center tach design if I get a base GT (non Premium Package)? Or does that tach only comes in cars with the HUD?

Thanks in advance! :wink2:

Just the vehicles equipped with the HUD come with the center tach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are you sure? I thought it came with the 2.5L engine. Base GT in Canada will have the 2.5L

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a 2015 GT and absolutely love the center tach/hud setup. I'd check with your dealer but when I was looking at the 2017s they had a GT with cloth seats (so base GT) in the showroom and it had the normal cluster... although it was an automatic. I was under the impression that you got the center tach with the manual for the 2017s but I may be wrong. If you can spring for the HUD package I think you'd love it. It really is a nice feature.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am likely wrong then. I am auto and have the center tach, but I also have the HUD.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2017 Touring 2.5 manual...no hud. It has large center speedometer and small digital tachometer to the left.

I wouldn't have purchased the car if it came with the hud. I just don't like it. It appears cheap to me and the vehicle I test drove that was equipped with it had problems with the deployment at start up. It was stuck and had to be manipulated by hand to work. Seems to be a common problem based on forum responses. If it were projected on the windshield or could be turned off, I'd feel differently about it. You can turn it off, but the plastic thing still flips up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response guys.

Yes the base GT here in Canada comes with the 2.5, just not the fancy electronics.

So based on your feedback, it appears the center tach only comes with the HUD, not based on the engine size correct?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the response guys.

Yes the base GT here in Canada comes with the 2.5, just not the fancy electronics.

So based on your feedback, it appears the center tach only comes with the HUD, not based on the engine size correct?

That's how it is on the US cars. I can not speak for other countries.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either set up. The car is fantastic, and it drives great!

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Good point @AVL thumper, for there are often many differences between not just U.S. and Canadian Mazda 3's, but between both of those and other versions sold around the world.

As just one example, in Europe GT's comes with medium dark alloy wheels, but not here. Wonder how many different versions there are worldwide? I can see some marketing folks sitting in a conference room saying, "the Europeans like the dark wheels, but we need silver ones for the U.S." And then how many of us do not like what they have chosen for us.

BTW, not a singling-out criticism of Mazda, for every car company plays the same "we know what you will like best" game -- and how wrong they often are.

Best of luck berrygummy getting what you want!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Our 2016 sGT looks like that picture. Think all the US models are this way but lower cost ones don't have all the computerization options.

I'd rather have the dual tach/speedo like is on the 6 and on my 2013 Miata. Really don't like the digital speedo.

That central tach on the 3 is great though for usefulness.

Ralph

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the 2014 sGT and now a 2017 2.5 Touring to replace it. The 2.5 Touring does NOT have the HUD and center analog tach. I think is the the feature I miss the MOST compared to my sGT. The analog speedo is still small and pretty hard to read. If I ever move back to Canada from the US, the kph numbers are even smaller. The Digital speedo on the HUD and under the analog tach is SOO much easier to read. Yes the HUD is not perfect and once in awhile did not open properly. But even with the shortcomings, I still much prefer the sGT analog tach + digital speedo + HUD combo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Canadian 2017 base GT Sport with the 6 speed manual and no HUD - I can confirm that the car does not have the centre tach, but rather a centre speedo. The tiny digital tach is one of my few complaints with the car.

Looks like you'll need the premium package to get the centre tach.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry, can't edit first post, I forgot to specify that the car is a Canadian model
It's in the first post "Canadian Spec 2017..."

I think there's just a lot more US users so you're getting a lot of i/s touring/grand touring comparisons where we only have GX, GS, GT (with optional premium and tech packages) which don't exactly line up with the US packages.

With that said the Canadian premium package isn't exactly inexpensive, but in my opinion you do get a fair amount of features for the money. May not be worth it though if the only thing you want out of it is the gauge cluster - depends on how bad you really want it. All I know is now is the time to get the car the way you want it so you don't regret it for years with "I wish I got this" "I wish I got that" etc.

Happy car shopping :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2017 Touring 2.5 manual...no hud. It has large center speedometer and small digital tachometer to the left.

I wouldn't have purchased the car if it came with the hud. I just don't like it.
It's funny, I would have said the same thing before I got my 3 but now I couldn't live without the HUD. (I have the Canadian 2015 GT so HUD was standard back then even on the base GT). As for problems yes there was a TSB on this but it only affected some 2014 models and was rectified with a running change. I've had zero problems even in really cold weather.

It really does work in letting your eyes stay on the road and not glancing down at the speedo. Probably saved me a few tickets :grin2: Plus, it's not just the speed, it also projects cruise control information and turn-by-turn directions for the NAV system. Of course for 2017 the HUD got upgraded to colour and added other display items like road/speed signs etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So then yes, 2017 GT non premium package = no HUD, digital tach
2014-16 GT (regardless of package) = HUD with centre tach

The new premium package includes leather, auto dimming mirror, blind spot and braking tech, HUD and BOSE system.. they did this to make getting into a 2.5 engine cheaper. Base GT in Canada now is like a loaded GS. I would still go for the premium pack, especially if you get a manual. The HUD is no gimmick, it might just take some time growing on you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts