2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend, I was finally able to take the 3 out on a short 600 mile road trip. Being a smaller car, I was unsure of how it would do loaded with my family. It turns out, it is a very capable highway traveler. With the 80 mph speed limits here, I was still able to manage 32mpg with the a/c on the entire time. Even in 6th gear, I found that I had enough grunt to get around slower traffic with ease. The seats are terrific, I have lower back issues that always get in the way of driving for long distances, but this trip, my back held up great. It tracks dead straight and handles the high speed sweepers with grace and confidence.
It was 112F in St George, but with freshly tinted windows, the a/c kept the interior ice cold. Overall, very pleased with how the 3 handled the trip. Additionally, not having to deal with heat soak like my previous car, a 15 Subaru Forester XT, was very nice, not losing power when the temperatures exceed 90F.
Will be headed up Wyoming next month, and this time will have two mountain bikes on the bike carrier. I will be looking forward to getting more highway miles on this fine little car.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Thank you @mcm0455 for your review, for with our lifestyle (as per my forum name) now that we are retired, we live for road trips. So glad you really like your car on extended drives, e.g, its comfort, handling, power. Really nice to read your comments about AC too.

I very much appreciate your [email protected][email protected]!

Looking forward to your next road trip review.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Glad to hear this report! I'm embarking on a 5000 mile road trip next Wednesday from KC out to Seattle and points between and about. So I'm really happy to hear about how it performs at speed over distance and the seat comfort. Just me but there might be sections where I will be attempting to stealth camp in this thing. (I've tried napping in it and it doesn't seem to be too bad. That was without any mats or pillows too.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yesterday I took my '17 GT from San Jose to Tahoe (about 250 mi) which was its first road trip. It was about 100F most of the trip and A/C worked great, I was quite impressed. Since I had to climb a mountain the gas mileage wasn't optimal, but I'm guessing it will be a bit better on the way back down :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts