2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There. Just got 2017 Mazda 3 and I love it but the factory speakers (no Bose) are far from perfect. I want to upgrade to new Infinity speakers but what confuses me most is the tweeter, specifically the crossover part of it. For those of you who know about car audio more than I do just a few questions. If I install 2 way speakers front and rear do I have to upgrade tweeters? If down the road I do decide to upgrade the tweeters anyways do I have to get separate crossovers for them or it is enough to just replace the factory tweeters with new once? Since I am planning to upgrade all speakers to 2 way speakers do I even need the dash mounted tweeters? By reading other posts it looks to me that installing and wiring crossovers it the most painful part of upgrade this is way am leaning towards just 2 way speakers in all doors. Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your attention.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It is best if you use this subforum to introduce yourself, and ask your question in the audio subforum. The chance is that you get a lot more feedback. Also the search funtion gives you all the answers, I know, because I looked for it as well.

Now, to answer right here, the tweeters are cut of at frequenty by a capacitor. Not the best solution.

When you replace these by a proper tweeter, there is no frequenty filtering, you need a crossover. Placing two way speakers in the doors now, and replacing the tweeters later means you get four tweeters. That's definetly not the way to go.

Making it easy now means it will be at best a better solution then you now have, but no good solution.

Why not go for a proper component system, running the wires to the tweeters is not difficult.

In the Mazda, the cables go to the woofers in the door, and run back to the tweeters. Use the stock cable to the door to hook up the woofer at the crossover, and separate wires to the tweeters also from the crossover. You still need to replace the speakers in the door, it is almost no extra work and the result is so much better. If you don't want to spare the original speakers, you can use the plastic housings to mount the new speakers, both woofers and tweeters.

Most crossovers also give you the opportunity to run the tweeters at -3dB or -6dB, with the tweeters mounted high and woofers low, tweeters can sound dominant.

All this can not be done with your suggestion, think about that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts