2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mazda Sales Consultant
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any knowledge on the subject of lowering a vehicle that has the G-Vectoring Control on it and if it will affect the way the system works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I second that!
It is so new that I don't know if anyone even tinkered with it yet

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's fine. The "g-vectoring Control" is all electronic adjustments within the engine and transmission to use torque for shifting the weight balance of the car. If you added a super stiff suspension, the g-vectoring would aid in straight line stability and barely affect the cornering abilities.

long story short, Lower away!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fyi mazda did tune the suspension more for the 2017 with g vector...noT sure if they rely on each other or lowering would have no effect.

Of course that is the question I suppose.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fyi mazda did tune the suspension more for the 2017 with g vector...noT sure if they rely on each other or lowering would have no effect.

Of course that is the question I suppose.
Nothing changed suspension wise, part numbers are all still the same, and nothing changed concerning the mounting points...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothing changed suspension wise, part numbers are all still the same, and nothing changed concerning the mounting points...
Shoot if that is the case springs might be on the christmas list haha

·
Mazda Sales Consultant
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting because they clearly claimed that they change the suspension for the 2017 s..in addition to g vector
There was nothing in Mazda's training stating that the suspension was altered from the '16 model to the '17 model. I just wasn't sure if changing the ride height would effect the way the GVC works.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting because they clearly claimed that they change the suspension for the 2017 s..in addition to g vector
I have a '14 GS Hatch that I own, and my demo for work is a 17 GT sedan, I was interested as well if there was a difference because I'm thinking about buying the new hatch just for the better quality and still swap my coilovers over, there's no difference at all. The G-Vectoring is strictly coding within the PCM

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm not claiming anything...just adding infor to the question at hand.

So based on this article http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2017-mazda3-global-press-material/

Specifically 4. Driving Dynamics, couple of statements...

1. GVC adjusts engine torque in response to steering wheel action

2. Paraphrasing the text just below that makes it sound like G vector uses the engine torque to transition the vertical load balance on the wheels.... it wouldn't seem then it would need certain known expectations of the suspension to do that. Adjusting the springs to Performance one would change the equation.... at least one would think.

3. GVC can be deployed in any SKYACTIV model, irrespective of its specific drivetrain ..... so maybe it really doesn't matter.

4. A whole section under Evolved handling performance and ride comfort.

So is it as clear as mud now? :)

·
Mazda Sales Consultant
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I contacted Mazda and CorkSport. Haven't heard anything from CS.. got this back from Mazda:

"Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center.

I received your email regarding your 2017 Mazda3 and the adjusting the ride height. Any adjustment or change to the suspension or the ride height would directly affect the G-Vectoring control on your Mazda3. We do not recommend any modifications to the vehicle. If you have any more questions please let me know."

I figured they would not recommend any modifications that were not an OEM part. Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Has anybody tried suspension mods on a g-vector controlled Mazda to verify that things work OK?

As good as our members are, I don't think we will ever be able to answer this question. The Reality is that it took mazda 8 years to develop and tune this software. Most drivers can't even tell G-Vector is even working, let alone if it is working right.

As we have established I think in this thread, nobody is claiming that G-Vector talks directly to the suspension parts. However there is evidence of sorts, that G-Vector has been programmed with certain "parameters" based on the Known factors of the suspension.

So if you adjust... you may make it less effective, you may not. I think that most would probably put looks of a lowered car over G-Vector. It will be up to each individual to decide for their own.

but if you are expecting someone to be able to actually state as fact that they can tell the broke g-vector by lowing their car.. chances are you will never be able to get a provable answer. Basically the Butt-Dyno rarely cuts it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As good as our members are, I don't think we will ever be able to answer this question. The Reality is that it took mazda 8 years to develop and tune this software. Most drivers can't even tell G-Vector is even working, let alone if it is working right.

As we have established I think in this thread, nobody is claiming that G-Vector talks directly to the suspension parts. However there is evidence of sorts, that G-Vector has been programmed with certain "parameters" based on the Known factors of the suspension.

So if you adjust... you may make it less effective, you may not. I think that most would probably put looks of a lowered car over G-Vector. It will be up to each individual to decide for their own.

but if you are expecting someone to be able to actually state as fact that they can tell the broke g-vector by lowing their car.. chances are you will never be able to get a provable answer. Basically the Butt-Dyno rarely cuts it.
This is a good point and well said. I think my question was a bit vague. What might be more appropriate to ask is if anybody has modified a Mazda with G-Vectoring control and noticed any deleterious results (or results differing than what they expected). On the flip side, has anybody done the same and noticed results that they were happy/satisfied with?

Full disclosure is that I have a 2017 Mazda 3 and am thinking about installing a Progress rear sway bar but wanted to try to find out if it was a bad idea before installing one. I didn't want to give too much detail and possibly hijack the thread since the original post was about lowering the car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ah...well even that may be tough only because I would think dropping the car with stiffer springs would change the handing so much, how would you know if the change is due to stiffer spring, or gvector messing up?

Believe me, I'm curious as well because I was eyeballing some Eibach springs but may just stick with a rsb if I do anything at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts