2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a used 2017 Mazda 3 touring 2.0l with 40k miles. Just started noticing a really hard shift from 2nd to 3rd and from 5th to 6th gear, especially when cold. Is this a common issue or something that I should be concerned with? Also when driving through town at 35mph it jumps back and forth back and forth rapidly into 4th and 5th gear, so that it feels like it doesn't know what to do. When climbing a hill when it downshifts its is almost violent where it feels as if it is just jammed into gear. It should still have the powertrain warranty but being that I bought it used and don't have all the previous owners service records I'm afraid that they will void it so I'm hesitant about bringing it to a mazda dealership. Any help or thoughts would be great thanks

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Voiding the warranty shouldn't be an issue. The maintenance schedule in your owner's manual does not dictate any maintenance for the transmission. It's 'lubricated for life' if you believe that garbage.

But that works out to your advantage here. Maintaining the warranty is dictated by your maintenance schedule. Nothing else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voiding the warranty shouldn't be an issue. The maintenance schedule in your owner's manual does not dictate any maintenance for the transmission. It's 'lubricated for life' if you believe that garbage.

But that works out to your advantage here. Maintaining the warranty is dictated by your maintenance schedule. Nothing else.
Thanks that's a little reassuring. I had thought about doing a trans fluid change but I think that I'm just going to see what the service guy says I made an appointment for next Saturday. I hope that I can get it figured out. I love the car, but the shifting is very annoying and detracts from the overall driving experience.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You might find that they will try to void your warranty. Dealers love to do this because they make more money by charging you. Be firm and speak with corporate if necessary.

One of the first steps in diagnosis is often a fluid flush. You will be on the hook for that one as it is considered a maintenance item. After that, should be all covered by warranty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Considering there is no maintenance recommendation for the transmission and it has a "lifetime fluid" there is no way they can deny you for lack of records or buying the car used. They only thing they can try to claim is you somehow abused it.

Just take it in, if the symptoms are easily produced I think they will look into it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just took the car to the mazda dealership today. The tech easily reproduced the problem and said it wasn't normal. He stated that the car must have sat for a while possibly having a dead battery which could cause the tcm to cause problems. He noticed a new battery the previous dealership must have installed and deduced that that may have been what happened. He erased the program in the tcu and reflashed it all under warranty thank god. The problem is now gone and drives like new!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That story had a good ending! I recently got a 17 Maz3 sport with the auto tranny with 29k on the clock, everything works as it should so far. It is encouraging to see that dealers treat used owners fairly. Good luck with your ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts