2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a dumb question... is removing left/right side the splash shields underneath the 2017 model as simple as unscrewing the screws that I see under the car? Are there any hidden push tabs/clips? I took a look under the car and it looks like its divided into 3 sections.

I need to access behind the front bumper where the turn signal/fog light area is so that I can try to push a dent back out.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
Hi all,
I have a dumb question... is removing left/right side the splash shields underneath the 2017 model as simple as unscrewing the screws that I see under the car? Are there any hidden push tabs/clips? I took a look under the car and it looks like its divided into 3 sections.

I need to access behind the front bumper where the turn signal/fog light area is so that I can try to push a dent back out.

Thanks!
Drivers side is easy. Just the screws and some push clips. Might be easier to gain access to that area by pulling the fender liner back. Its only like 5 or 6 push clips and one screw under the front. There is a pretty big area with easy access behind it.
Passenger side not so easy as there is a bunch of stuff behind the fog light. Mostly the washer bottle is blocking access to that area, along with some other misc A/C lines etc.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
For a 2017, the center area has, after you have removed the four screws and the push clips, two that are hidden. To access them, after removing the screws and clips you can see, pull down the front most part of that section. Just pull on it (it is super flexible plastic and will not break).

Here a great video on removing the whole front fascia, which while is way more than you need or want, starting at exactly 2:57 minutes into to it, shows how to remove the bottom three aero trays. Once the center section aero piece is hanging down, with a flashlight you will see two more, now no longer hidden, push clips that need to be removed. Look specifically at 4:42 into the video to side how to pull down the front center aero piece and find/access/remove the two hidden ones.

https://youtu.be/8c-2Ayr9G0k

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's on the passenger side :surprise:

What about removing the black cover for the turn signal/fog light? My model doesn't have fog light so I think i can reach in there. There's a sticky on this forum that shows how to remove but it's slightly different '17 model has less area to grab onto to pull the cover out.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
1) You can remove, from the front, the fog light plastic bezel. Just protective tape your paint before you insert your plastic or nylon trim tool. Hope that gives you the access you are wanting.

2) Sorry but with 30+ mods in a fairly short time, not positive but pretty sure you do not need to remove the center one to remove the passenger side under aero panel. Since the sides are only 3 screws/bolts (bolts with Phillips screwdriver pattern inside of them), and a few pop clips, I would give it a shot just removing the underneath side one.

As @arathol noted, you are going to have potential issues on the passenger side with more things in there, the biggest impediment to full access being your large windshield fluid tank. If you remove the passenger side one and still not proper access, remove the whole front fascia with a friend in about 30 minutes if you take your time.

Before I did removed the whole fascia (for painting the chrome "U" shaped grille trim piece), I watched the video I linked above three or four times, and then front fascia removal became simple (with the removal of that one electric clip that hold a wire to the frame being the challenge -- though again the video shows you exactly how to do that with a needle nose pliers and a trim tool).

Best of luck, first not needing to remove your fascia, though if you do, in that process too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts