2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Retrofitted the halogen assemblies to 4tlr projectors with bi xenon and halogen high beams I’m going to post pics for now if you all want information I will greatly answer any questions.

Parts used for retrofit were sourced from lightwerkz but the same parts can be had from the retrofit source.

4gTL-R Projectors
2 x Morimoto D2S bulbs 4500k
Morimoto H11 harness with Ballast/igniter
2 x high beam splitter
2 x 90mm caps to seal back of headlight
2 x D2S to amp connector
1 package butyl rubber to seal headlights

Here is a link to explain the retro fit process done by GTA Retrofit. They optioned to trim a very minor section on the mount for the projector to fit, I went the washer route because it seemed easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGLYGKwlck8&

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Retrofitted the halogen assemblies to 4tlr projectors with bi xenon and halogen high beams I’m going to post pics for now if you all want information I will greatly answer any questions.
That looks great, bout how long did it take to retrofit them?
I’m going to edit my first post and add everything that was needed for parts.

Removing the bumper was the most time consuming part really. After that I baked the headlights open and undid the three screws holding the halogen projector in then installed the tl projector back in its place. I used washers to space off the projector mounting screws because there are little screws for the lense that interfere with it sitting straight.

Realistically if I was to do it again I could have everything done in 6 hours

·
Registered
6 Posts
Other Hardware Needed?

If I have the Plug and play Morimoto Elite and want to do the 4TLR retrofit, what other hardware needs to be swapped out besides the H11b bulbs? Do I need a new set of igniters, ballasts, and the relay?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I have the Plug and play Morimoto Elite and want to do the 4TLR retrofit, what other hardware needs to be swapped out besides the H11b bulbs? Do I need a new set of igniters, ballasts, and the relay?
You were in the same position as me. You would only need the D2s to amp connectors to adapt the igniter to the new d series bulb and the 90 mm cap to cover the back of the housing. The projector comes with a plug for the solenoid to adapt to your high beam circuit, but if you want to continue using the high reflector in conjunction with the bi xenon projector then you will need the splitter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome! Thanks! So if I use the splitter, that will also allow the DRLs to continue working as well right? The D2S-->Amp connector is just an adapter sold as an option with the 90mm rubber caps that TRS sells, right? Just want to make sure I get it all right in one order.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never mind on the D2S to amp ballast connector. I just found that on TRS's site. Thanks for the write-up and for that video link!
Yea the drl will continue to work as long as you use the splitter. Order the diy set of D2s adapters it allows you to put the amp plugs together after you pull them through the holes you drill in the housing cap.

I can’t stress enough to order extra as well cause I broke one of them trying to shove it through the hole lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I removed my headlights from the car and did those but if you want to work on a spare set at you leisure Mazda NY has the cheapest I’ve found at $210 per side.

Then if you feel really skilled retro the spare set and make some money on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts