2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, im new in this forum, i just bought a 2017 GT here in Mexico and what i noticed is that my headlights are always ON when I'm driving no matter if i set it Off-Auto-Parking, etc..
I'd like just to have the DRL ON when I'm driving at day, without the headlights ON. What I've noticed is that in the reviews of Europe the mazda 3 just have the LED lines with Halo as DRL (pic 2) and in the reviews of USA/Mexico the Mazda 3 has the LED lines with Halo + Headlights as DRL (pic 1).

Is there any way to have just the LED lines with Halo (as pic 2) and headlights off when I'm driving at day?

Thanks in advance

Enviado desde mi SM-N920P mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry i want to meant this
Hello, im new in this forum, i just bought a 2017 GT here in Mexico and what i noticed is that my headlights are always ON when I'm driving no matter if i set it Off-Auto-Parking, etc..
I'd like just to have the DRL ON when I'm driving at day, without the headlights ON. What I've noticed is that in the reviews of Europe the mazda 3 just have the LED lines with Halo as DRL (pic 2) and in the reviews of USA/Mexico the Mazda 3 has the LED lines with Halo + Headlights ON as DRL (pic 1).

Is there any way to have just the LED lines with Halo (as pic 2) and headlights off when I'm driving at day?

·
Working Class Hero
3,653 Posts
Welcome aboard. Unless there's something wrong with the system, your drls should be the leds only with the lights off and in gear (auto) or parking brake off (manual). This is assuming you have a gt with hids.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hi,

HI the DRL's should activate either on OFF, or Auto as shown on picture 2. (Also they will activate if the light leveler is on "lights" mode, this activates all lights besides headlights on your vehicle)

The headlights on our cars can only be ON if the AUTO function is selected and it's dark enough for the headlights to turn on, or if the headlights lever is switch ON.

If your headlights are ON when the leveler is OFF, when in Auto and is not dark enough and when in "lights" mode then I think you have a problem with your system and you should check with your dealership what the problem can be.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

HI the DRL's should activate either on OFF, or Auto as shown on picture 2. (Also they will activate if the light leveler is on "lights" mode, this activates all lights besides headlights on your vehicle)

The headlights on our cars can only be ON if the AUTO function is selected and it's dark enough for the headlights to turn on, or if the headlights lever is switch ON.

If your headlights are ON when the leveler is OFF, when in Auto and is not dark enough and when in "lights" mode then I think you have a problem with your system and you should check with your dealership what the problem can be.

Good luck!
Yeah, the headlights are always ON when driving, even if the leveler is OFF, but the weird thing is that here in Mexico, all GT Mazda's 3 2017 i have seen, they also have the headlights ON when driving. Even the Mazda's from USA in the reviews of YouTube. They also have the headlights ON when driving.

Ia there anyway to have just thr DRL?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard. Unless there's something wrong with the system, your drls should be the leds only with the lights off and in gear (auto) or parking brake off (manual). This is assuming you have a gt with hids.

Yeah o have the GT version with Full LED technology. When its not driving if i put the leveler in parking lights, just the DRL are ON, but as soon as I start driving, the headlight comes ON as well, as if it were part of the DRL system.. any way to disable the headlights when driving, i Just want to enable them at dark

·
Registered
988 Posts
Unless there is a law in Mexico that states that all new cars on the road need to have their headlights ON when driving, then I don't see the reason why Mazda Mexico by default has the headlight settings like this, I would check with the dealership directly, and post back here to find out what is the reason behind this logic...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless there is a law in Mexico that states that all new cars on the road need to have their headlights ON when driving, then I don't see the reason why Mazda Mexico by default has the headlight settings like this, I would check with the dealership directly, and post back here to find out what is the reason behind this logic...
No there isn't a law in Mexico about that, I already asked when i bought the car but the dealer but he hardly knew what DRL means, ao he was useless

·
Registered
988 Posts
Then the only thing you can do is find the truth for yourself, I'm pretty sure Mazda 3's sold in the US do not have this issue...

·
Working Class Hero
3,653 Posts
Then the only thing you can do is find the truth for yourself, I'm pretty sure Mazda 3's sold in the US do not have this issue...
True. They do not. I'd take this issue up with your dealer. Might be a software issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True. They do not. I'd take this issue up with your dealer. Might be a software issue.

But every mazda 3 GT 2017 i have seen have the headlights ON when driving even in the reviews of USA model in YouTube

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on my '17 GT with the LEDs (US car). The headlights are always on whenever the car is being driven. The only thing I've found that makes them go off is to turn the DRLs off completely. However, this also turns off the LED halos which isn't what I want (I too just want the halos on). If you disable the DRLs and turn the parking lights on, just the halos activate but then the rear LEDs are also on as well as the side markers and license plate lights. I haven't talked to the dealer yet but I was thinking I might when I get my first oil change soon.

It's possible that the halos could be rewired to work when the car is turned on but that isn't something I'm really interested in doing right now. It would be awesome if someone knows of another way around the rewiring option.

·
Working Class Hero
3,653 Posts
But every mazda 3 GT 2017 i have seen have the headlights ON when driving even in the reviews of USA model in YouTube

Makes for better pictures.

·
Registered
31 Posts
US models with LED headlights use it as DRL at lower power setting, similar to halogen high beams used as DRLs. I was annoyed when I found out, so just turned it off, and use parking lights at dawn/dusk and lower visibility situations.

So it is possible to use the halos only as DRL, hope this can be enabled in future software update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
US models with LED headlights use it as DRL at lower power setting, similar to halogen high beams used as DRLs. I was annoyed when I found out, so just turned it off, and use parking lights at dawn/dusk and lower visibility situations.

So it is possible to use the halos only as DRL, hope this can be enabled in future software update.
Yeah, but its weird they did this to the new mazda 3 and mazda cx5.

I hope there's a way to disable the headlights and just have the LED halos

·
Registered
327 Posts
OP is confusing the term "DRL" with the accent lighting built into the headlamps.

DRL can be any lights on the car - they are the daytime running lights that are on when the car is driving. As mentioned previously, usually at reduced output. They are not about seeing, they are about being seen.

In the case of the '17s with the LED headlights, as previously mentioned, the DRLs are the headlights and not the accent lighting halo and light strip. The accent lighting is just for show and tied into the parking lights.

If you are in a region where daytime running lights are not a requirement on new vehicles there should be an option to disable them in the vehicle settings menu. This is what user "silky" has done above. I am in Canada where DRL is required so we do not have the option to disable them in the menu - the option simply doesn't exist.

The headlight sensitivity setting that user "biggs50" referred to above simply sets the ambient darkness at which the "auto" settings for your lights will switch from DRLs only or headlights off (if DRL is disabled) to full lighting / headlight system on.

Note: if you disable DRL and run with parking lights on by default (not in auto setting) as user "silky" does the headlights will not turn on automatically in the dark, you will need to flip the switch.

Hope that helps clarify

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP is confusing the term "DRL" with the accent lighting built into the headlamps.

DRL can be any lights on the car - they are the daytime running lights that are on when the car is driving. As mentioned previously, usually at reduced output. They are not about seeing, they are about being seen.

In the case of the '17s with the LED headlights, as previously mentioned, the DRLs are the headlights and not the accent lighting halo and light strip. The accent lighting is just for show and tied into the parking lights.

If you are in a region where daytime running lights are not a requirement on new vehicles there should be an option to disable them in the vehicle settings menu. This is what user "silky" has done above. I am in Canada where DRL is required so we do not have the option to disable them in the menu - the option simply doesn't exist.

The headlight sensitivity setting that user "biggs50" referred to above simply sets the ambient darkness at which the "auto" settings for your lights will switch from DRLs only or headlights off (if DRL is disabled) to full lighting / headlight system on.

Note: if you disable DRL and run with parking lights on by default (not in auto setting) as user "silky" does the headlights will not turn on automatically in the dark, you will need to flip the switch.

Hope that helps clarify
Yeah I understand what you mean, the problem is why in europe Mazda dont use the LED headlights as DRL (just the Halo) and here in Mexico/USA, they configure the LED headlights plus the Halo as DRL.

To me just the Halo as DRL looks better because it gives the spirit of a mazda (just like the new mazda cx9, she and the mazda 3 has the same LED halo as DRL but the one from the cx9 looks awesome because it doesn't use the LED headlights as DRL and the halo can be appreciated better and brighter)

·
Registered
327 Posts
My assumption is that there's a government specification somewhere indicating a required light output specification of some sort that the accent lighting alone doesn't meet in at least 1 of the 3 countries in North America, then Mazda makes them all the same for the sake of manufacturing efficiency.

Is it also confirmed that the accent lighting is the DRL in Europe? They could be driving around with just the parking lights on for "beauty" shots. Would need someone from Europe with the LED light setup to confirm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My assumption is that there's a government specification somewhere indicating a required light output specification of some sort that the accent lighting alone doesn't meet in at least 1 of the 3 countries in North America, then Mazda makes them all the same for the sake of manufacturing efficiency.

Is it also confirmed that the accent lighting is the DRL in Europe? They could be driving around with just the parking lights on for "beauty" shots. Would need someone from Europe with the LED light setup to confirm.
No they aren't not driving with the parking lights because the tail lights aren't turned on, is something weird here but hope some months later would be a tweak to disable the headlights as DRL i hope

1 - 20 of 46 Posts