2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, label on the door says made in Mexico. Had it for two months now and everything feels tight (had a Japanese 2014 sGT before).

·
Registered
327 Posts
You have a 2.5L made in Mexico? What are the first couple of digits are your vin?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just took delivery on 1, as well. 3MZBN to start my VIN. There were 4 GT Premium Safety in Soul Red that showed up when we did the dealer locate. Only 1 was built in Japan.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dealer had 4 2.5 hatchbacks on the lot - 3 Mexico and 1 Japan. Interestingly he also had a 2.0 Sport from Japan, I thought all the 2.0 were from Mexico now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So when it's made in Mexico, it's bad?
I doubt it, personally. While that would be the general perception whether anyone has anything but anecdotes to share is another story. No real data to analyze on this, I'm afraid.

The general consensus around the late 90s-early 00s VWs were that the German-made Golf was higher quality than the Mexican-made Jetta. Except for the hatch assemblies and cosmetic bodywork they shared basically every part. Everything matched enough that you could literally swap in the front pieces from a Jetta onto the Golf and vice-versa. I don't know if anyone compiled any real data to backup the idea that the Mexican-made cars were any different quality.

Let's be honest here though, MKIVs would break if you looked at them wrong. >:)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just found the Margarita dispenser in the glove compartment!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Man I'm glad I got mine early. That was one of the reasons to get the 2.5....it was Japan built.
Me too, one of the last 2.5 GT's made in Japan. 65k and runs perfect, not one issue.

So when it's made in Mexico, it's bad?
Not really, just more oddity's reported like wrong fluids used and a few other minor things. I'm sure Mazda keeps a relatively close eye on assembly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So is this the first year for the 2.5 in mexico then? I thought up until now it was 2L only. Not that it matters much.

Just interesting to see them ramping up production to other model ranges. With the 2.5L there I wonder if they'll eventually be trying to bring some CX-5 production in considering its popularity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mazda has a large plant just outside Salamanca, Mexico. We drove by the plant earlier this year in our 3. We've seen a Honda plant and a GM plant in the same area.

Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good to know. I bought mine assuming all 2.5L were built in Japan. If I have a choice I'd rather something be built in Japan over Mexico, China, etc.

But I do find it strange that Toyota and Honda aren't as reliable as they once were perceived to be and this sorta coincides with them having factories in the US, UK, etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Having worked in the outdoor industry, I can tell you that it isn't about where it's made. It's about whether or not a company cares enough to put knowledgeable QC in place and have a trainable population. Some of the gear made for the most extreme uses is made in China. Cheap gear I wouldn't trust is also made in China. It's also made here. The difference is some companies actively oversee QC versus some just spot check the factory when they sign a manufacturing contract and leave it at that.

Mexico has had car manufacturing for decades. So that's not a problem. Let's face it, the automotive industry is really heavily tested and regulated. Add into it the litigious society in the US and you have a lot of people to answer to if you screw things up. Any car manufacturer with a decent name plate will have QC in place.

I owned a Mexican made VW and the main reason I'd never own a VW again is due to company decisions and policies overall, not because of where they're made. The problems I had with the Mexican one, I'd have had with the German made one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suppose that the Quality Assurance shall be the same independently where a brand builds its vehicles...Or it should be.

Here in my country, and I think that in all Europe, ALL petrol units come from Mexico while diesel ones come from Japan...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Partly a psychological factor, I still have the preconceived notion that a Japanese built Mazda is of higher quality than a Mexican built Mazda. It might not be fair or correct, but that's where my head is at for the moment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts