2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t seen any recent discussions. My 2017 mazda 3, with one year left to pay on it has started having crazy electrical issues. The ghosting issue popped up 2 weeks ago. What I have noticed differently with mine is it does it driving & sitting still. I have also had backup camera go black. As well as the passenger seat belt alarm start going off when there is nobody sitting in it. On my way home today the ghosting issue was going strong flipping from station to station & then the seatbelt alarm started going off. I’m thinking get rid of this car while I can—-though I really like it minus these things that have recently started. Thoughts ideas????

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
First idea is do some searching. There's a TON of posts about these issues around here. Recent ones in this forum in fact.

The ghost touch issue is under recall. Speak with your dealer. I just got mine done a couple weeks ago, took them less than an hour.

Since the touch screen is normally disabled during normal driving so I'm guessing you have some of the AIO tweaks installed so that the touch screen works all the time.

The backup camera is another known issue for the hatchback. It's not a recall, but covered under a service bulliten. If you have warranty, it will be fixed under that. If not you're stuck paying for it. The good news is the fix is easy. The issue is the cable to the camera inside the hatch is too long and comes loose after some time. Just needs to be better secured and contacts cleaned. You can find the TSB on these forums as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My stereo screen was replaced by mazda today free of charge. It covers I think 2014-2016.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
250 Posts
The passenger seatbelt warning is going off because the car either thinks there is someone sitting in the seat, or it can't tell if there's someone in the seat. There is an occupant sensor built into the seat. In some cars it's weight dependent, in others it uses an electric field to detect if the seat is occupied. Putting your purse or other items (as small as a cellphone) can have the car believe that there is someone in the seat. Don't put anything on the passenger seat, or even right in front of the seat and see if the problem goes away.

Another problem is that the sensor is built into the seat, and there is a connector under the seat that plugs the seat wiring into the car's wiring. As the seat is moved forwards and backwards, that connector gets flexed over and over again. Over time, it can loosen the pins inside the connector, meaning the sensor isn't communicating with the car correctly. As a part of the safety system, it always defaults to maximize safety. So, when the connector is wonky, the system defaults to thinking there is someone there.

This problem is more than just an annoyance though. If the car thinks that there is someone in that seat, and you have an accident, the car will blow the passenger airbag and seatbelt pretensioners. I can tell you that if the passenger airbag in the dash blows, your car will be totaled no matter how minor the actual accident damage is. That airbag destroys the dash, probably breaks the windshield too, massively increasing the repair cost.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'd see if it can be fixed under the recall. You'll never sell it for a reasonable price with the ghosting issue.
I've had passenger seatbelt alarms in the past in non Mazda's due to heavy rain getting into the sensors under the passenger seat. The alarms went after a few days when the seats dried out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts