2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure someone else has done this before, but I couldn't find it. So if anyone was wondering if they could update the display in a 2014-1016 Mazda 3 to the newer version, you can.

I bought a used 2017 display from eBay and installed it on my 2016 Mazda 3. Nice custom touch. Fairly easy install too.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Cool! Thiis is just for the display or the entire CMU unit including the display? Any differences in touch reaction, better screen quality and pixel density?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Cool! Thiis is just for the display or the entire CMU unit including the display? Any differences in touch reaction, better screen quality and pixel density?
The part is only the display.
Interested too in any differences except the look. :)

Nice avatar by the way. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just the display. Everything works the same as before. There is no obvious difference in picture quality. I don't have the technical specs for the two displays, so I'm not sure if there is a difference other than appearance. I also still have the original backup camera. Touch response is good, but I only use the touch screen for nav.

Bottom line, I didn't gain anything other than looks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can always swap in an old one :D

I think they were trying to make it blend in more, which was the look I was going for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
is the CMU software version tagged to the display monitor?

i.e if my existing OS version is 55, and the new monitor comes from an updated v59 car, will it retain my mzdconnect version or use the v59 one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
do you have a picture of the backside of the unit you bought? i want to see what was attached to it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
do you have a picture of the backside of the unit you bought? i want to see what was attached to it
Below is the only photo I have of the back. The new display is on the left.

I used this VERY helpful reddit post (with pictures) to do the swap:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda/comments/6iaxy6/guide_replacing_the_infotainment_screen_in_a_2014/?st=jhu0hklh&sh=f01e0d45

I have few comments on the steps in this guide:
Step 1: Removing trim - plastic trim removal tools are easier than using your fingers
Step 4: The referenced bolt really is a pain. It's tight and hard to reach. A 10mm socket and at least 8" socket extension helps a lot!
Step 6: There is an easier way. There are four screws attaching the display unit to the CMU. You have to remove those. The fifth screw behind them only holds a cable to the CMU. There is no need to remove the screw or the cable. After the four screws are removed, tilt the display down to gain access to the tabs on the connectors for the two cables attached to the display. Remove the cables and it's out. The connectors are different colors and sizes so it's hard to mess up putting it back together. The new display has the exact same connectors, and the screw holes in the bracket line up with the holes in the CMU precisely.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts