2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 sTouring with 8800 miles on it, bought last May. It has the well-documented occasional ticking noise from the lower right front passenger footwell although I haven't heard it much through the winter.

A few days ago I started to hear what I thought was that same ticking noise coming back, only it wasn't just the occasional tick, or tick-tick. It was ticking that lasted a few seconds, usually as I was driving around sweeping left-hand curves and putting load on the right side of the car.

Today I investigated a little and it turns out it's the console. I can duplicate the new ticking noise by putting pressure on the console just about anywhere between the seats and all the way up to the climate control knobs. I can push along either side and along the top and I can see the joints between plastic panels shifting around.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

What are you doing to get rid of it?

I was thinking of trying to get silicone into the joints but silicone spray doesn't seem like the way to go to do this . . . :surprise:

I had the car detailed a few months ago and I wonder if whatever they used on the interior plastic parts seeped down into the joints between panels and that's contributing to this new ticking I'm hearing.

What do you think?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I agree that spraying a lubricant is not desirable, and feel that a clear silicone "caulk", which while it might solve the problem of your clicking noise as the panels rub against each other, is going to be nearly impossible to apply so that it does not look really bad.

First thing I would do is to remove a panel or two with a plastic pry tool(s), examine the backside to see if the attaching clips can be delicately spread wider if they are a "U shaped" metal, or if plastic, see if you could wrap something around their male ends to expand it, so when it goes back in, it resists moving. You may need to remove one, two or more panels to find out how to eliminate the source and therefore the clicking.

If that method does not work, and not having removed those panels I do not have a clear picture in my mind as to exactly how they attach, would next remove one or more of the panels that is shifting, then attach to the opposite edge where it is shifting/clicking, a thin black felt which comes with peel-n-stick adhesive on its back side, remove the covering to the adhesive, then re-insert the panel.

I have used adhesive-backed felt many times to solve tens of rattles. Best of luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I will wait to see what happens with this ticking noise from the center console as warmer weather arrives. I did not have the noise last summer and fall and it's possible that it could be temperature related, with expansion\contraction of the plastics, etc.. Either way I'll probably still try applying silicone lubricant to all the connecting points that rub against each other before I start disassembling things. Thanks for the adhesive-backed felt tip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts